Hill walking stupidity

If everyone is sharing their stories of how they were a bit of a divvy on exercise I'd better venture forth with mine.
Lo and it was the final exercise of my recruit course, and after spending all day digging out a trench with full overhead protection using a KIP sheet, with next to no help from my oppo, who was having a bit of a sad-on, we were sent out on an escape and evasion jolly.

I being keen decided to do the navigating for our pair, as I'd convinced myself that I was spot on with a map and compass. That was the first mistake. My oppo decided to let me. That was the second. Getting so lost that we were off the map of the training area and rapidly heading to the road for Richmond was the third.

Bear in mind that I had an automatic rifle and my oppo had an LSW and you can perhaps see the problem. We were out for hours before he decided to take over the navigation duties and finally got us back to our trench, which was just in time for morning stand-to. And I can't even blame the weather. Visibility was really good, the weather was dry. It was just me that was crap at navigation. I dread to think what would have happened if the terrain was worse and the weather was horrid.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I did the Yorkshire 3 Peaks yesterday. I couldn't believe the amount of people who literally had just walked off the street. Jeans, trainers and no equipment at all with them. It was freezing up Ingleborough with viz at less than 10 metres. I was praying for rain to teach them a lesson.

Last edited:
Ooops search went wrong should be Darwin awards. Not much hill walking in Netherlands !
Thread drift ... you could I suppose go " Dune Walking " in the Netherlands' Desert .... back on thread .

Last edited:
Thanks to a very efficient mountain rescue service, which long ago rescued all the mountains in Holland and put them somewhere safely out of the way.
We could have done with them putting some in the South East. It's a pain having to put in 4 hours of travel time to get to anything pointy and 8 hours to a proper mountain.

Maybe we could buy a couple of mountains from Nepal? They've got loads and wouldn't miss one or two.

We could have done with them putting some in the South East. It's a pain having to put in 4 hours of travel time to get to anything pointy and 8 hours to a proper mountain.
They were hoping that would be far enough away to keep people from doing stoopid things like going up them, I guess.

Prolly woulda been, too, but for the horseless carriage and the burgeoning middle classes. . . .

They were hoping that would be far enough away to keep people from doing stoopid things like going up them, I guess.

Prolly woulda been, too, but for the horseless carriage and the burgeoning middle classes. . . .
It is a certain perverse attitude to think "I'm sat in this pleasantly warm pub and can see a big lump of rock out of the window. I'd better go and climb up that for no other reason than I can tell people I've been up there"

Still, the biggest thing around here is Leith Hill and it only counts as a mountain if you include the tower on the top :rolleyes:

I was listening to a story yesterday about a Lake District mountain rescue team that had spent £18k on a new website advising people on how to go hill walking safely.
I wish I had paid more attention as Iwould like to see it as I thought it was a lot of money to spend which could be perhaps better spent.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
Bragging rights?

I just like the height, the space and the sense of freedom

Couldn't be arrsed to brag about it . . .
Exactly. I am always amused when kids ask what I did in my holiday so I tell them that I walked across the Beacons range and show them on a map. It's not as if it's difficult in a technical sense, just takes a bit of effort.

In an island where people can summit and descend the highest peaks in each country in under 12 hours ((link) it's never going to be a bragging thing anyway.