Hill walking stupidity

I will bet your daughter loves going on rambles.

Looking for mucky puddles to stomp around in?
She does actually, thank you. No. 1 Son did DOE but it wasn't really to his taste, no problem, at least he tried, so we shall see. As an aside, my dad liked to take us on holidays in the great outdoors, nothing fancy (inner city family), but just messing about in the wilds, getting wet and dirty, left a lasting impression. Little acorns and all that.

You appear to have sired an Eewok.
Don't knock them. Certainly did a good job of keeping an occupying army confined to their barracks and inflicting damage far over their improvised capability.

They even appeared to have mastered the Lebanese Unload.

Monday the Scottish Avalanche information Service puts out a high alert for Lochaber

Tuesday it's not good news on Ben Nevis.

Avalanche claims 2 lives and 2 injured in Number 5 gully, Lochaber and Glencoe MRT out as well as military training in the area all put at risk in the rescue.
Unfortunately, now 3 dead and fourth in a bad way.

They were being amicable enough so why the 'winding in of necks'? I think they were on a 'jolly' as they weren't all 'hot and sweaty' as they usually are.
I was on Pen y Fan with SWMBO back last year, very early morning bimble up the hill. Map, compass, warm kit, waterproofs and food in my daysack , even though I know the area rather well. Two lads got to the top just after us having run up from the Ponsticill side.
One politely took a few happy snaps of me and the Mrs at the trig point, the other had a map out , compass out quick bearing taken and off they went at a rapid rate of knots.

Supposed sunny day, the Fan was shrouded in low cloud.

I was on Pen y Fan with SWMBO back last year, very early morning bimble up the hill. Map, compass, warm kit, waterproofs and food in my daysack , even though I know the area rather well. Two lads got to the top just after us having run up from the Ponsticill side.
One politely took a few happy snaps of me and the Mrs at the trig point, the other had a map out , compass out quick bearing taken and off they went at a rapid rate of knots.

Always good to treat them with respect.

I was chilling on the top of the Twmpa a while ago enjoying the view and sent a mate a image with "this is why I live in Wales".

He sent back be careful, in fog the day before a lad had gone off a steep drop nearby practicing for the Running Up Hills Course.

Easy done, mind on a thousand things and making progress on a bearing and "oops".

Always good to treat them with respect.

I was chilling on the top of the Twmpa a while ago enjoying the view and sent a mate a image with "this is why I live in Wales".

He sent back be careful, in fog the day before a lad had gone off a steep drop nearby practicing for the Running Up Hills Course.

Easy done, mind on a thousand things and making progress on a bearing and "oops".
Is that above Cwmbranistan?
Twm Barlwm.

There's an old quarry just across the mountain from there, just above Henllys village. We used to camp up there as kids in the summer holidays.

Went for a run up my local hill here in PW land at the weekend. 3 different forecasts were for sun and blue sky all morning. It snowed. Not that heavy or for too long, but enough to chill with the bones even though I was running.

It’s a decent hill, although not that high <2000’, and well marked with tracks and trails but people still have to be pulled off it every year.

Is that above Cwmbranistan?
Twm Barlwm.

There's an old quarry just across the mountain from there, just above Henllys village. We used to camp up there as kids in the summer holidays.
I know Twm Barlwm, nice walk up the way.

Lovely view from this place, you can walk south from that to the hill just above Crickhowell and finish off down in the village.

Screenshot 2019-03-13 at 12.12.25.png

Go buy the self-published guides to walking the area, and give these nice people some trade!

Crickhowell Adventure - for the outdoor enthusiast

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Deaths on Nevis, 2 French and 1 Swiss. Injured is Swiss.

Went for a run up my local hill here in PW land at the weekend. 3 different forecasts were for sun and blue sky all morning. It snowed. Not that heavy or for too long, but enough to chill with the bones even though I was running.

It’s a decent hill, although not that high <2000’, and well marked with tracks and trails but people still have to be pulled off it every year.
My father always told me we do not have normal Seasons in Northumberland just weather as it is not unusual to have all the Seasons in one day ... always cater for the worst even in the height of Summer .

Last edited:
Deaths on Nevis, 2 French and 1 Swiss. Injured is Swiss.
The Swiss press is reporting that all 4 were experienced mountaineers who knew Ben Nevis well, and are members of the Sion Monte Rosa section of the Swiss Alpine Club. The 2 Frenchmen were long-term residents of canton Valais, and the surviving Swiss is the President of the Sion section. Apparently, the trip was organised privately and not through the SAC.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Darwin isn't racist.
A lot of casualties up here are not local.

2 theories.
A. They underestimate Scottish mountains.
Or
B. Locals can easily postpone a trip till the next weekend whereas tourists are usually on a strict time schedule.

Don't forget the dog needs walking, get some rain in your eyes to hide the tears.
Me out every day, twice, first hint of spring and out come the cyclists, with Trailers containing digging implements, narrowest part of the pavement, they're on it. Nearly knocked Jake. Tied to point out they should be on the road and that look of disdain comes over their faces. They are after all ecowarriors. Sorry but those on the mountain, in this weather........?
Tiny Miss F in Glencoe. Suited and booted.
View attachment 382195
That brings back some memories....... Looks like Tummel

2 theories.
Or
B. Locals can easily postpone a trip till the next weekend whereas tourists are usually on a strict time schedule.
Agree with both, but I think there's a lot of truth in the latter. I heard a lot of baggers from down south plan to bag xyz hills of a weekend. Jump on train, arrive at destination and off they jolly well go. They don't pay any heed to the forecast or local advice, because it's only a 3,000' - 4,000' climb and we've done this for the last x number of years. They forget the hills have been about a lot longer than them, and will still be there long after they've gone. Sometimes the hills take a price from people who adopt this attitude.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer

2 theories.
Or
I incline towards A. It's tempting to calculate risk on the basis of height until you know what it's like to be hit at speed by UK weather/temperature/visibility variation.

I took a daughter and a Springer up Goat Fell a year ago last November (not as snowy as the photo below but still a sprinkling). Lovely (rugby shirt) most of the way up but the top was a case of multiple layers, touch the trig point and head straight back down for hot chocolate and a Mars bar in a sheltered spot out of the wind (Springer later warmed down with a bracing swim in the sea). I can see why the untrained and people used to the Alps but not British conditions might take liberties with something which, on the face of it, seems like a bit of a scramble.

1552496854967.png