Hill walking stupidity

Went out one day myself, with a good friend. Not far. Hampstead heath. Nice day. Very warm. Bit of a rush. Didn't take anything more than a jumper around my waist.

Got cold quickly when the sun went down. Not far from home. False sense of security. Certain things that we had imbibed also skewed our sense of perception. Then it was too late. We stopped shivering. The sense of being freezing cold passed. Started to feel warm. Started to take off the clothes we had on. Classic Hypothermia. If I had a choice between burning to death or freezing to death, I know which I would take.

Fortunately we knew what was happening. We came down from Hampstead heath to some pub and we went inside and drunk some warm drinks.

It's surprising how quick this can all come about. I have no doubt we were only a few hours from death, and all on a warm sunny day, that just turned...

Wrap up warm. Know that you are only meat and flesh and are at the whim of your immediate environment.

Climbing mountains? Well...
Pleased to hear that all turned out well for you and George Michael, lessons learnt eh.;)

Someone else getting me (nearly) lost.

It's late afternoon (as it always is) and we are making our way off the MacDhui plateau. One of the Officer Cadets is leading/navigating and as a freshly-baked Rupert I'm bimbling along at the back thinking about the chances at the dancing later. The group stops and said OC comes back with the map and says "I don't know where we are." I grab the map and start trying to work out where the hell we are. Then I look up and find myself looking at a lot of pairs of eyes all looking at me. At that point cold realisation hits me; you are in charge of this group and it's now your responsibility to get them back in good order. Mind very concentrated, back to the problem and eventually made the right decisions which got us back.

Lesson - in hazardous situations do not rely solely on others but maintain situational awareness all the time.

Afterword; Years later I was at a party and when introduced to a Doctor he said "Oh I remember you. You're the bloke that got us off that hill in the Cairngorms." He was gracious enough not to mention that my idleness had got us into the mess in the first place.
What? A Commissioned Officer of The Realm and a map combined ended up in a mess?????????
Well "stwike him down centurion, weally woughly!!" Who would of thunk it? :slow::slow::slow:

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Went out one day myself, with a "good friend." Not far. Hampstead heath. Nice day. Very warm. Bit of a rush. Didn't take anything more ... around my waist.

... went down. Not far from home.
...things that we had imbibed also skewed our sense of perception. Then it was too late. Started to take off the clothes we had on.

we knew what was happening. ... drunk some warm... surprising how quick this can all come ... just turned... meat and flesh ... at the whim of your... Well...
Chill out oke, it's not only legal these days, it's positively encouraged.

Off thread .... Just been reading in The Times about the poularity of Hillwalks based on the over 300,000 they have logged on their.Android App ..... most popular is from Edale ... fortunately Northumberland does not get a mention .... I have created several walks using the App ..... Will see if I can change their rating to DREADFUL .... Back on thread .

Off thread .... Just been reading in The Times about the poularity of Hillwalks based on the over 300,000 they have logged on their.Android App ..... most popular is from Edale ... fortunately Northumberland does not get a mention .... I have created several walks using the App ..... Will see if I can change their rating to DREADFUL .... Back on thread .
Lets keep Northumberland a secret I like it nice and peaceful.

Meanwhile in the Highlands more casualties I am afraid.
Two killed in Ben Nevis avalanche

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Monday the Scottish Avalanche information Service puts out a high alert for Lochaber

Tuesday it's not good news on Ben Nevis.

Avalanche claims 2 lives and 2 injured in Number 5 gully, Lochaber and Glencoe MRT out as well as military training in the area all put at risk in the rescue.

Monday the Scottish Avalanche information Service puts out a high alert for Lochaber

Tuesday it's not good news on Ben Nevis.

Avalanche claims 2 lives and 2 injured in Number 5 gully, Lochaber and Glencoe MRT out as well as military training in the area all put at risk in the rescue.
All the more when Number 5 Gully is noted for its avalanche risk. Debris from avalanche as shown in picture below from April 2006
1552417680129.png

Someone else getting me (nearly) lost.

It's late afternoon (as it always is) and we are making our way off the MacDhui plateau. One of the Officer Cadets is leading/navigating and as a freshly-baked Rupert I'm bimbling along at the back thinking about the chances at the dancing later. The group stops and said OC comes back with the map and says "I don't know where we are." I grab the map and start trying to work out where the hell we are. Then I look up and find myself looking at a lot of pairs of eyes all looking at me. At that point cold realisation hits me; you are in charge of this group and it's now your responsibility to get them back in good order. Mind very concentrated, back to the problem and eventually made the right decisions which got us back.

Lesson - in hazardous situations do not rely solely on others but maintain situational awareness all the time.

Afterword; Years later I was at a party and when introduced to a Doctor he said "Oh I remember you. You're the bloke that got us off that hill in the Cairngorms." He was gracious enough not to mention that my idleness had got us into the mess in the first place.
Quite. Even when I go for a gentle bimble with wife and daughter aged two at low level around Loch Muick I still carry the full stash of gear - it's the Highlands and a long way away from anywhere.

Sorry, just seen your message re ex MiL. It never rains but........:(
Thank you. Just remembering happy times and a lovely lady.

Second time my son has called me about the death of a grandparent, poor man!

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Quite. Even when I go for a gentle bimble with wife and daughter aged two at low level around Loch Muick I still carry the full stash of gear - it's the Highlands and a long way away from anywhere.
Tiny Miss F in Glencoe. Suited and booted.
20190217_104418.jpg

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer