Hill walking stupidity

Yet they struggle for funding, even when helping out with things like the flooding at carlisle & Cockermouth & subsequently ruined kit.
I don't believe in formal gov't funding but bunging them some ad hoc cash from the public purse every now & then would seem reasonable. same goes for lifeboats.
Silly question from Johnny Foreigner here...
Surely this sort of thing was what the National Lottery was set up for?

In my limited experience it is apparent that there is no limit to the stupidity of people who pootle off into the great outdoors. E.g. Morecambe Coastguard Rescue Team are quite busy dragging people off the sand in the bay.

I've also seen people getting lost on well marked national paths e.g. the Ridgeway, the classic one I had 30 years ago of meeting a couple who had "lost their car" i.e. could not remember where they had parked. Fortunately it was just a case of them missing their turn back down the hill near Waylands Smithy, but it was November and getting dark. Again, no map, no clue.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Couldn't do that. After a couple of months, every waterway in the country would be clogged with object lessons.
It would peak at some point, then steadily decline as all the stupid people eliminate themselves from the gene pool, and the not irrevocably stupid take heed when they notice that some of their thicker friends aren't posting on snapchat anymore after posting a selfie of themselves halfway up Ben Nevis or Pen y fan.

Mr Tweedy

Old-Salt
Silly question from Johnny Foreigner here...
Surely this sort of thing was what the National Lottery was set up for?
In my experience "public" money comes with so many caveats and conditions, backed up by performance metrics that many third sector organisations would rather raise their own, and remain independent of bureaucratic meddling.

Grants from things like the National Lottery are also usually one off and not sustainable, and many charities have come to grief basing business plans on sources that suddenly dry up as the focus switches to the latest SJW craze.

It would peak at some point, then steadily decline as all the stupid people eliminate themselves from the gene pool, and the not irrevocably stupid take heed when they notice that some of their thicker friends aren't posting on snapchat anymore after posting a selfie of themselves halfway up Ben Nevis or Pen y fan.
I blame technology - those GPS phones are so cool, aren't they?
Shame they won't keep you warm, won't work in some areas, and forget to tell you that walking is hard work.

There are several "Lowland" Rescue Teams in areas without mountains.
And?

Unlike Pidley Mountain Rescue Team, they presumably do not call themselves Mountain Rescue Teams?

You didn't actually look at the link in your haste to be a smart arse did you?

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Ironically the only time I've got lost in fog was in Poole Harbour where it was so dense visibility must have been 5 or 6 feet at best

We literally had to hit land to get our bearings, more funny than dangerous. Just glad those landing craft weren't about you never hear them coming at the best of time

And?

Unlike Pidley Mountain Rescue Team, they presumably do not call themselves Mountain Rescue Teams?

You didn't actually look at the link in your haste to be a smart arse did you?
I did actually. Just trying to add something to the thread.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I've been laughed at for carrying a map, what you've got that for grandad we can navigate on our smartphone or similar

Except that old fashioned maps work where phone signals are weak or non existant and don't run need batteries, same with an effing compass
I went with a group of inexperienced people to climb Ben Nevis in April 2018, long and short of it was they were laughing at me as I had a bergen they could hardly lift with all the necessary gear, sleeping bag ,bivi bag, map ,compass, stove, some snap, water, first aid kit etc etc you get my drift. They were all decked out in lovely crap fashion gear.
Now let's see who got it right after looking out the window of the Ben Nevis Inn that morning.............

bn1.jpg

Not too bad...........
30 minutes later however, I present:
bn2.jpg

I found out only two people summited that day, and they were MRT guys in crampons.
It just goes to show on what is generally regarded as a tourist route that there should be a member of the fuckwit police at the bottom to make sure people are geared up and clued up. It is Britains highest mountain, not to be underestimated at any time.

Latest Threads