Hill walking stupidity

I took my brother up a hill yesterday and it was so windy his bunnet blew off at one point, but it was worth it for the view of Vicky road from the top of Queens Park,
Did you do the Battlefield tour?

Did you do the Battlefield tour?
Walked round the Park from Camphill, particularly wanted to show my brother the Scottish Poetry Rose Garden, as it was the last design project my dad did before he retired.

scottish-poetry-rose.jpg

Fishsoxs

Old-Salt

Sentinel

Old-Salt
Some of the Lowland search and rescue teams have had a 50% drop in call-outs since covid19 started. This is due to the number of people being reported to the police has also dropped by up to 50% but not in all areas. Liverpool university looked into the issue and have done a report which I link to below, but it doesn't look into the reasons for the drop. We think that people need something to worry about and whilst people are worrying about Covid19 it keeps problems such as anxiety away. Human beings need a certain level of stress and worry and if that isn't there, anxiety comes in.

The Impact of COVID-19 Lockdown Restrictions on Missing Person Reports

TamH70

MIA
I don't understand why people don't check weather forecasts before going out.

The problem with the Cairngorms is that weather forecasts can be unreliable, the weather itself is very changeable, and you can quite easily set off in bright sunshine one hour, only to be hit with seventy miles per hour gusts of wind and horizontal rain the next, and if you're in a tight valley like the Lairig Ghru facing into said gusts of wind and horizontal rain, your arse is going to get soaked very quickly even with the right kit.

Go on, ask me how I know this?

Let's not get into the fricking blizzard I got to avoid by mere hours either, eh? ;)

The problem with the Cairngorms is that weather forecasts can be unreliable, the weather itself is very changeable, and you can quite easily set off in bright sunshine one hour, only to be hit with seventy miles per hour gusts of wind and horizontal rain the next, and if you're in a tight valley like the Lairig Ghru facing into said gusts of wind and horizontal rain, your arse is going to get soaked very quickly even with the right kit.

Let's not get into the fricking blizzard I got to avoid by mere hours either, eh? ;)
Agreed, and to be fair, he headed out on Monday while the storm wasn't due to hit until Tuesday, so I guess he assumed he would get off the hill in time.
Still think it's shit planning, though.

TamH70

MIA
Agreed, and to be fair, he headed out on Monday while the storm wasn't due to hit until Tuesday, so I guess he assumed he would get off the hill in time.
Still think it's shit planning, though.

I agree with you on that, though it's fine margins. I know my limitations - I'd go nowhere near the Cairngorms outside of May to September, and even then it isn't foolproof.

CamNostos

Old-Salt
That’s a pretty good hike on its own. Fords of Avon to Braemar must be 15 miles?

Yeah, bit of an odd one as they could have walked to Glenmore Lodge avoiding the plateaux and would have probably got signal a lot sooner. Could have been they’d come from that side and we’re only confident navigating back the way they’d came in those conditions.

Ref my bold. I've said elsewhere up thread. SWMBO and myself started from the funicular station car park. Long Paramo trousers, but only a short sleeve base layer. Herself dropped off at the Ptarmigan restaurant, whereas I headed for the top. On reaching there, I suddenly felt a slight tingling in my fingertips. Well at the top, nothing to protect me from the 'wind.' I did put on a long sleeved heavy shirt to eat my sannies. We set off with a clear blue sky, and neery a breeze. This was in October!
Different day by myself, different hill, Macdui. This time full Paramo's, smock as well as trousers, beanie with hood up, fingerless mitts plus waterproof mitts on top. About 500' from the top, the weather starts really closing in. Reach the top and remove over mitts. Within a few minutes I feel my fingertips becoming numb. Four days before midsummers day FFS!! Be very careful in The Cairngorms whenever you venture there.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Ref my bold. I've said elsewhere up thread. SWMBO and myself started from the funicular station car park. Long Paramo trousers, but only a short sleeve base layer. Herself dropped off at the Ptarmigan restaurant, whereas I headed for the top. On reaching there, I suddenly felt a slight tingling in my fingertips. Well at the top, nothing to protect me from the 'wind.' I did put on a long sleeved heavy shirt to eat my sannies. We set off with a clear blue sky, and neery a breeze. This was in October!
Different day by myself, different hill, Macdui. This time full Paramo's, smock as well as trousers, beanie with hood up, fingerless mitts plus waterproof mitts on top. About 500' from the top, the weather starts really closing in. Reach the top and remove over mitts. Within a few minutes I feel my fingertips becoming numb. Four days before midsummers day FFS!! Be very careful in The Cairngorms whenever you venture there.
Did you see the Gray Man?

Morning All,
The levels of hill walking stupidity I've witnessed since being out here is truly mind boggling.
Lack of training/experience, clothing and equiptment doesn't seem to be a worry from what I've seen.
First encountered it on my crossing of a 4.5000m pass.
The evening before at the usual 'base camp(?)', at 3000m. Some random bloke wearing chappels and a fckn ROBE, watching me set up for the night, making scoff and generally preparing for the 05:00 planned departure the following day, wombles up and says. "You look you know what your doing. Are you going over the Pass tomorrow?"
Yes says I. To which he replies, "Oh good, I'll come with you then".
He shuffled off unhappily after I told him to do one with my laughter ringing in his ears.
Last saw him sitting cross legged looking at the sunset playing a wooden flute. Fck knows where or what kit he had.
This from the yesterday's local 'comic'.
Trekking over the Passes has recently been banned due to adverse conditions.
Local men who phoned a friend to ask for directions and probably got the wrong answer.
20211207_170454~2.jpg

20211207_172217~2.jpg

Latest Threads