Hill walking stupidity

Last week while taking a Mrs CC for a bimble up Snowdon, we’re half way along the pyg track when we get stopped by a fella wearing a pair of flowery shorts and trainers, looking up he asks if that was Crib Goch up there, when I told him that it was he replied “ dam, I wanted to go that way, do you think I could get up there now from here”?
I was up there with the family in August this year. We had stopped at the Pyg Track/Crib Goch junction for a brew and to confirm that the kids wanted to traverse Crib Goch (their first time, weather was perfect and they were up for it). I made the mistake of showing them stuff on the map. This was like a flame to the moths as I must have shown half a dozen people where they were, which track they were on, yes that is Crib Goch up that way, etc. They were clueless.

Off we go, climbing steadily, when two young women came past us with no mountain gear to speak of, who had not intended to traverse Crib Goch but had followed us out of curiosity. We passed two guys coming down as we are going up, one had the other on a short rope, looking a bit shaky. I put my daughter (11) on a short rope over the top as she was a bit nervous and asked for it. Once it was on, she was way more confident. My son (14) was like a little goat, with his mother chasing after him none too pleased. We saw one trustafarian-looking ******** with bare feet, no doubt trying to get in touch with the mountain. I decided that I was not in a rescuing mood should he have any drama.

We got to the top, couldn't be arsed to queue 45 minutes to summit at the trig point (there were hundreds of people up there), had our lunch (the cafe and station are still not open, so there is litter and literal shit everywhere as there are no bins or toilets without the summit centre) and descended the Miner's Track. God that is dull! What a boring plod back to Pen y Pass that is. Waited for the bus back to Llanberis to get the car but ended up having to take a taxi as 2 buses in a row failed to show.

Never again. Y Llewydd might get a look in but I've had it with Snowdon. The Carneddau are next for my lot, but my favourites are the Glyderau.

Tool

LE
In all fairness, he wasn't acting the complete mong. Sure he made mistakes, but managed to find and keep shelter. Plus he had the right kit and took his experiences on board.
They had an interview with him and his climbing buddy on Aunty Beeb earlier today. Loos like he did about all that was required, had emergency food and water and was warm. The buddy did what was required of him as well.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
I was up there with the family in August this year. . . . . .

Never again. Y Llewydd might get a look in but I've had it with Snowdon. The Carneddau are next for my lot, but my favourites are the Glyderau.

The Glyders starting with the north(-ish) ridge up Tryfan, of course? Great fun and one of my favourite routes (based on recollections from last century -- I now live in not-quite-alpine Netherlands).

Latest Threads