Hill walking stupidity

Cromarty

War Hero
What a prick. Not so much for the idea but this:

Estimates at how much Hill cost rescue services range from £10,000. to £80,000. Despite being "heavily criticised for wasting the time and resources of the coastguard and lifeboat services" Hill felt "no guilt about taking up so much of their time". He said "If there's a service for those in peril on the sea, surely it should be used – I only really cost them the diesel."

Irritatingly I can't see the Telegraph article that was taken from as it's behind a paywall but it's here if anyone's interested - The unsinkable Captain Calamity

Morons like this should be taken to court to have restrictions placed on them.

Estimates at how much Hill cost rescue services range from £10,000. to £80,000. Despite being "heavily criticised for wasting the time and resources of the coastguard and lifeboat services" Hill felt "no guilt about taking up so much of their time". He said "If there's a service for those in peril on the sea, surely it should be used – I only really cost them the diesel."

Irritatingly I can't see the Telegraph article that was taken from as it's behind a paywall but it's here if anyone's interested - The unsinkable Captain Calamity

Some MR teams are now quoting "man hours" expended. Add vehicles, kit etc. and the cost soon gets into big numbers.

About five years ago three Americans were trying to sail home from Scotland. I think they had emergency assistance NINE times as they travelled down the west coast. Finally gave up in Cornwall after yet another Lifeboat tow. Then they accidentally set the boat on fire at its mooring. And not a lot the Coastguard can legally do to stop them, as private sailors.

Mrs Slocombe

Old-Salt
My dad went on holiday to Turkey, aged 68 I think. Decided to go for a stroll in the woods. Several hours later, the hotel noticed he hadn't returned and arranged a search team. They were just about to get a helicopter sent from Istanbul when they found the cnut walking around in circles.

A chap who has a higher opinion of his knowledge and abilities than is warranted. The latest news is that he's trying to declare Forewick Holm as an overseas dependency called Forvik.

Despite the fact that even the Vikings didn't want it and it's never been settled or built upon.

The absolute cheese tried to sail there through the treacherous Papa sound in what the coastguard later described as an "upturned wardrobe".
On the good news front, his wife upped sticks and left him during this debacle, sending him the news by text, and his run for election in Shetland saw him come last.

Some MR teams are now quoting "man hours" expended. Add vehicles, kit etc. and the cost soon gets into big numbers.
Had a quick look back at some Stats I could easily find.

2017 - Total Call Outs, 141; Total Man Hours 5,306
2018 - Total Call Outs, 119; Total Man Hours 4,319

That doesn't include training, admin, maintenance, kit checks, fund raising etc... just the actual rescues/searches.

For one team.

Had a quick look back at some Stats I could easily find.

2017 - Total Call Outs, 141; Total Man Hours 5,306
2018 - Total Call Outs, 119; Total Man Hours 4,319

That doesn't include training, admin, maintenance, kit checks, fund raising etc... just the actual rescues/searches.

For one team.

A massive increase in call-outs has already been reported when the first lockdown was relaxed. It'll be interesting to see more 2020 figures in due course.

About five years ago three Americans were trying to sail home from Scotland. I think they had emergency assistance NINE times as they travelled down the west coast. Finally gave up in Cornwall after yet another Lifeboat tow. Then they accidentally set the boat on fire at its mooring. And not a lot the Coastguard can legally do to stop them, as private sailors.

Occassionally the French have a very good idea....

iu

Mr Tweedy

Old-Salt
Someone else will know for sure - but I don't think you're allowed to use that sort of thing on land. There's the occasional fuss when the Coastguard tracks one to a Transit van in Dorking, Solihull etc. I think SARLOC does the same thing for MR, locating mobile phone signals.

PLBs have been legal for use on land in the UK since 2012. They must be registered with the MCA (who still coordinate the response even though on land) to be fully legal though - also sensible, since they are a one way only comms system and can be triggered by accident - if registered, with an emergency contact number, the authorities can attempt to make contact to make sure it is a real emergency.......

Daz

LE

Daz

LE
Map of the area involved, she'd of started off at Dinas Rock-Sychryd Cascades/Sgydau Sychryd on the map and headed up to Sgwd Clun Gwyn which is the closest fall to Ystradfellte seeing as she's described as lost in the area around the waterfalls between Pontneddfechan and Ystradfellte.

That route involves at least one water crossing either at or around Sgwd yr Eira/Upper Cilhepste Falls or if they've gone up the gunpowder trail, somewhere around The Sheep Dip if they were daft enough to go that route - there's a large landslip on that trail where the trail has fallen into the water, hence the route closed signs on the gunpowder trail

Untitled.png

Latest Threads