Hill walking stupidity

Cromarty

War Hero
'Oooh, I'm a bit tired'.
Next thing, a chopper is on its way... for some fat arse who got a bit wheezy in the sun after a mile and a half.

Or wait for nightfall, bad weather and the family to report them overdue. Send out a asearch helicopter and/or a rescue party.

If people set them off for shits and giggles then send them the bill.

We're not taking about the local park. If you're walking somewhere you might need a light and whistle to attract rescuers then an EPIRB will get the job done instantly. No need for vague description of your location by phone. But if you go out walking in such a place without an EPIRB then don't expect someone else to risk their life trying to find you.
Not with the society of today, where 99% of dropped 9s calls are from pocket dials and people who don’t actually realise how serious a call to 999 is

Or wait for nightfall, bad weather and the family to report them overdue. Send out a asearch helicopter and/or a rescue party.

If people set them off for shits and giggles then send them the bill.
Recall a few years back the fat munter stuck up Ben Nevis [?}, who was rescued the nect day, then went to sell her 'my night of mountain hell' story to the tabloids.
Local MP gets up in house and asks MoD how much rescue cost, then askes why it is volunteer 'ground' searchers gave up their time, risked lives, yet they got sweet FA, MoD was out of pocket, while Ms Dumbass was minted.
As I've written before, a friend is with NSRI (our RNLI, and when he does contacts rescuees for some fundraising, gets asked 'but isn't it your job?'

Cromarty

War Hero
Australian tax payer had to pay (including repairs to HMAS Adelaide) to rescue solo around the world sailors Thierry Dubois and Tony Bullimore.

The money wasted searching for that tool Andrew McAuley who disappeared trying to kayak from Australia to New Zealand. His family complained the authorities didn't do enough to find him.

If people want to do dangerous things then get insurance (no chance) or understand that the government and rescue agencies won't come looking for you.

We're not taking about the local park. If you're walking somewhere you might need a light and whistle to attract rescuers then an EPIRB will get the job done instantly. No need for vague description of your location by phone. But if you go out walking in such a place without an EPIRB then don't expect someone else to risk their life trying to find you.

Are EPIRBs legal for inland in the UK?

out and about in the wilds
'The wilds'

For most folk, I would suggest, the Chiltern Hills would be a benchmark for 'the wilds' and in their minds no distinction is made between that environment and (say) The Peak District, the Lakes, Snowdonia etcetera.

It's not like we have a majority of parents with National Service experience of life outdoors, or even a rural lifestyle nowadays. Individuals have to actively seek out and acquire the knowledge and skills needed to cope with wild country.

Where's the stimulus for them to do that?

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Australian tax payer had to pay (including repairs to HMAS Adelaide) to rescue solo around the world sailors Thierry Dubois and Tony Bullimore.

The money wasted searching for that tool Andrew McAuley who disappeared trying to kayak from Australia to New Zealand. His family complained the authorities didn't do enough to find him.

If people want to do dangerous things then get insurance (no chance) or understand that the government and rescue agencies won't come looking for you.
In an earlier career I was based at RAAF Pearce WA, and in a two year period, mid-80s, our SAR got sent out, to locate/monitor until rescue arrived, the same pillock who’d got himself into difficulties in rented yachts three times, in the Indian Oggin, ffksk. That he was never charged/penalised enabled him to continue renting yachts, and being a bleedin’ nuisance to all and sundry. Feckwits, the lot of ‘em.

Cromarty

War Hero
In an earlier career I was based at RAAF Pearce WA, and in a two year period, mid-80s, our SAR got sent out, to locate/monitor until rescue arrived, the same pillock who’d got himself into difficulties in rented yachts three times, in the Indian Oggin, ffksk. That he was never charged/penalised enabled him to continue renting yachts, and being a bleedin’ nuisance to all and sundry. Feckwits, the lot of ‘em.

Should have used the prick for target practice.

A regular occurence up here also. Sailing round Britain with the AA Road Atlas as their sole navigation aid.

You refer to this moron, I believe. Quite often goes sailing without anything that could be described as a boat.

Currently making a nuisance of himself on Shetland.
What a prick. Not so much for the idea but this:

Estimates at how much Hill cost rescue services range from £10,000. to £80,000. Despite being "heavily criticised for wasting the time and resources of the coastguard and lifeboat services" Hill felt "no guilt about taking up so much of their time". He said "If there's a service for those in peril on the sea, surely it should be used – I only really cost them the diesel."

Irritatingly I can't see the Telegraph article that was taken from as it's behind a paywall but it's here if anyone's interested - The unsinkable Captain Calamity

Maybe it’s time for certain areas to require some form of outdoor pursuits insurance for people to venture into them. No idea how that could be worked though. Maybe make places like Snowdon / Ben Nevis “red areas” etc.

A regular occurence up here also. Sailing round Britain with the AA Road Atlas as their sole navigation aid.
Prior to the breathalyser being rolled out to sport boat skippers there was a thriving scene around Troon/ Clyde/ Arran and assorted small ports, of comfortably well off Jock Alcoholics using their boats to go on weekend long benders/ pub crawls. With predictable results but no sanction.
I saw at Troon a very expensive looking 45’ft Sunseeker type, up on 45 gallon drums. The owner ( pissed) had misred the harbour entrance lights , got the wrong side of a light and put it onto the tetrapod breakwater at some speed and under power.
The speed at least meant it was so far aground it didn’t sink, but I was told the damage it did to the z drives and gearboxes was catastrophic.
not to mention the hull.!!

Last edited: