Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Hill walking stupidity

Yep, Just heard. From a Maritime SAR point of view that is not entirely bad news, their performance has steadily improved. The only thing that I would have added from an RNLI point of view would be a contractual need to exercise with our SAR units on a regular basis. At the moment, we only get a wockka to play with when it suits them (which is not often).

Can't speak for MR, but have heard grumblings.....
MR training with a MCA heli? I'm more likely to find myself being pleasured by Megan Markel while Harry stands there singing Rule Britannia!

In the 3 or 4 years since the Sea Kings were sold to India our team has had one flight training session and one orientation visit to the base at St Athan. The RAF were much more egar to come out and play. I think for these guys, as a commercial operation, it is harder to justify the cost.

Urban Myth

I've always like this analogy of design vs reality

tree.jpg

Could have been worse they would have been on @AsterixTG patch next;)

Charity hikers have been warned to be better prepared after players from a rugby club got lost 3,000ft (914m) up one of the highest mountains in Wales.
The group of five women and one man, from Kent, got stuck on Cader Idris, Gwynedd, after starting the Welsh Three Peaks Challenge on Saturday.
Aberdyfi Mountain Rescue Team rescued them at 02:30 BST on Sunday.
Rescuer Graham O'Hanlon warned people not to take on charity challenges without training and preparation.
The Welsh Three Peaks Challenge involves climbers tackling Snowdon and Cader Iris, in Snowdonia, and Pen y Fan, in Brecon Beacons, in just 24 hours.

Lost in dark​

The group, from a rugby club in Kent, had started climbing Snowdon at 05:00 on Saturday.
After reaching the summit of the second peak on Saturday evening, the group got lost in the dark and poor weather, ending up on the steep crags above Cwm Cau.
While some of the group tried to find a way down, others called for mountain rescue assistance, who rescued them with the help of GPS.
Mr O'Hanlon warned that many inexperienced hikers were attracted to challenges like the Welsh Three Peaks believing they were "safer" or needed less preparation, but urged people to know the routes and train before they went out.
"The diary pressures of organising group activities can lead to groups taking to the hills in unsuitable weather conditions," he said.

tbh - hard to say until Post Mortem and known info is available.

Might have been dead before he hit the ground from a MI - might have twisted an ankle, become hypothermic and taken hours to pass. Weather for that period doesn't look crazy bad but if you've been running and come to a sudden stop without any warm kit, you get very cold, very quickly.

Wonder if his Strava or tracker will have info, if he used them.

Need more info.

Sorry for his families loss.