Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hill walking stupidity

Don’t get me started about the amount of litter being left out in the ooloo nowadays. When out daily with the dogs across the South Downs and other areas of my manor, I always pick up (the odd bit of, as it was then) litter and stowed it in the game pocket of my coat to dispose of. Now I’m taking my roe sack out most days - crisp packets, plastic water bottles, drinks cans, supermarket bags, black bin bags, the aforementioned gloves and socks (socks??) food waste, clingfilm and to top it all, a disposable nappy.

I fear now that the scum have found our green and pleasant land, we’re not going to get it back any time soon.
Seen the footpaths the width of runways , because they do not want to get muddy ?

Seen the footpaths the width of runways , because they do not want to get muddy ?
There's another train of thought on that. Instead of sticking to the path go well around it, therefore spreading the footprint over a wider area so it's not falling on the same spot.
Another major cause for erosion are mountain bikes. I've noticed this on Dartmoor, When i started walking it 50 years ago it was fine. Paths that had been walked for centuries were still intact. Now in parts they're chewed up, and the tyre marks are there to be seen. I'm not against bikes being used on the moor, just riders to use some sense when riding on a grass surface as opposed to a gritted rocky path. All the weight of the body and pressure of pedalling the bike, plus all the gear is being transferred through the tyres. Instead of going through puddles/soft ground, go around it giving the grass a chance to recover. I give muddy spots as wide a berth as I can. The exception to that is if I'm on boggy ground and there's no easy way round it. Then it's a case of ploutering on till I'm through it. So far I've succeeded. ;)

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
There's another train of thought on that. Instead of sticking to the path go well around it, therefore spreading the footprint over a wider area so it's not falling on the same spot.
Another major cause for erosion are mountain bikes. I've noticed this on Dartmoor, When i started walking it 50 years ago it was fine. Paths that had been walked for centuries were still intact. Now in parts they're chewed up, and the tyre marks are there to be seen. I'm not against bikes being used on the moor, just riders to use some sense when riding on a grass surface as opposed to a gritted rocky path. All the weight of the body and pressure of pedalling the bike, plus all the gear is being transferred through the tyres. Instead of going through puddles/soft ground, go around it giving the grass a chance to recover. I give muddy spots as wide a berth as I can. The exception to that is if I'm on boggy ground and there's no easy way round it. Then it's a case of ploutering on till I'm through it. So far I've succeeded. ;)
20210220_155930.jpg

What path? :)

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Sentinel

Old-Salt
Over £800k raised for Chris Lewis if Patterdale MRT after he was paralysed in a fall. That is a fantastic response.

Latest Threads