Hill Walking Clothing Advice

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by IT_Guy, Nov 23, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Right, I've got into the hillwalking lark this year and have enjoyed tabbing around the peak district through the summer. However now the weather has changed I wish to continue my travels and am left in the position that I have nothing to wear.

The last time I ventured into the bondu her majesty provided all the kit I needed, some admittedly was of dubious usefulness and indeed quality.

Now, as I have lots of green stuff left over I could wander around the hills looking like a pikey walt, or alternatively could someone enlighten me to the latest in fashion?

Actually, ignore the fashion bit - I just need some practical outdoor clothing of decent quality that will allow me to ignore the weather reports when I go wandering (within reason).

Many Thanks.

Edited to say, this may sound stupid but when I joined up Goretex hadn't been invented - is layering with a goretex outer still the fashion?
  2. Buy a Páramo. It's better than Gortex as it has a lifetime guarantee. I have had the same jacket for over 8 years now and it's a fantastic bit of kit, still keeping me as dry as they day I bought it. I am a MLT, so it gets its use. Top recommendation from me anyway.

Web page: http://www.paramo.co.uk/en-gb/index.php
  3. What area do you live
  4. Hi, I've been out in the Dale today -it was 'Baltic' but I could see for days...
    I had some Regatta walking trousers (£20)
    T-shirt Norgie - Softie - Gortex in my day sack in case it rained/snowed
    Black Beenie hat - Job a good 'un!!
    Boots were standard issue - sorry but I said in another thread I love 'em but not to everybody's taste.....
    Mrs 'Cayote' says I look like a knob with the hat but when I go into the Lakes its like a fashion parade - All the gear and no idea eh!!
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Edge of the derbyshire Dales/North Notts.
  6. I know its also quite 'military' but I have a Buffalo special 6 shirt, does wonders for keeping warm, keeping the wind out and even the odd shower too. But I bought mine in purple not wanting to look too militant!

I suppose the way to go is a wicking top, something like a Helly Hansen, and another layer on top of that, there a many civvy versions of Norwegian shirts made of fleece and other stuff that shouldnt hold water.

Goretex is still used but there are now 'softshell' materials which is like half-waterproof half-fleece as I understand it. Ive not used them but apparently they are good for general use or the odd day or two, not sure I'd want to use them in really bad conditions or for an extended time though, and they do tend to be pricey... For what its worth Im still looking out for a decent goretex...
  7. I have done quite a bit of hill walking and never bought any expensive kit as such never bothered with gortext even. Buy man made fabrics if you are staying out for days as natural doe not work well when wet. You should be able to reliee on your stuff working wet as in a bad senarior you may not be able to dry it. This particular important of sleeping bags.

If just dicking wool and stuff can be more comffy if you are staying some where at night you can dry stuff.

I do like dressing up like pikey walt but thats just for fashion though.
  8. Ta, I found the civvies looked like they fell of a catwalk as well which is why I'm asking here and not checking out the Mountain Warehouse website......yet
  9. You're right with the layer principal. Layers dependant on the climate, load you are carrying, speed you're traveling and heat you're generating. I'm old now so travel slower and need another layer.
    I start with a thin layer either a helly hansen or an under armour, then either a wind proof or gortex dependant on weather. A thicker fleece in the day sack for stops or tabs downhill back to the car.
    You are not too far away from Stafford Outdoor Leisure, who have a sale upstairs and are very helpfull. Ask for Danny.
  10. First thing you've got to decide is are you going to

(a) try and stay dry
    (b) accept that you're going to get wet

both may be appropriate at different times.

If you go the (a) route, then you need to think in terms of base-layer (wicking material), warm layer and waterproof layer.
    If you go the (b) route, then make sure that you've got something warm and dry to change into at the end of the day.

In any event, avoid cotton as it gets cold when it's wet. Go for wool or fleece as your warm layer.

Boots, obviously - appropriate for the terrain
    Hat for when it gets cold
    Because you're ex-mil, compass and map (waterproofed and not in one of those horrible things that wrap round your neck).
    Other bits and bobs including brew-kit and a mobile phone in case of injury.
  11. I've just priced up a Buffalo special 6 shirt at http://www.sportswarehouse.co.uk/acatalog/Buffalo-Special-6-Shirt.html and they're pushing £100 which is what I'm trying to avoid - to be honest I was hoping to dress myself completely for £100 - including daysack.
  12. I would not bother with a jacket as it is bulky costly and its ethier on or off so can be too hot or too cold. A fleece 2/3 jumper/norweighion type things water proof jacket. Thermal underwear.

If you are on a budget your green stuff is spot on. The fleeces are warmer than most of simlar budget the norweigions ideal.
    To avoid looking militant just wear a doddgy pastal coloured water proof or top you might end up looking norweigion or eastern european.
  13. iv been mountaineering in some ******* hideous conditions.

1. your not going to stay dry. seriously, iv seen people with mountain equipment jackets, costing around 150 quid, and they got wet just like i did.

2. goretex is over rated. once it gets wet its a bit of a bitch to dry, and if you have gortex lined boots, the little mud particles tend to get into it, which gives water a point to enter. if your doing several days, it will be fairly crap in the mornings.

firstly, i use a waterproof coat, but a thin one. repels water but has no lining etc. far better, because you take it off at night, shake the water off and your good to go. also, if you need to take it off, its far easier to stuff in the top of your bag as it doesnt take up a lot of room.

accept your going to get wet from head to toe. same guy with the expensive coat had some £200 pound boots. and he still got wet feet.

a cheap way to equip yourself is this:

helly hansen lifa top (full length) about £20 quid.
    3 cheap and shitty sports tops from wherever less then £10
    a tracksuit top (thick, like a jumper, you know what i mean) again like £5-15 depending.
    tracksuit bottoms £10
    waterproof trousers a £20 pound pair is fine.

a helly hansen base layer, 1/2 t shirts, depending on weather, tracksuit top, and waterproofs.

i have been in storms where the rain was sideways and i couldnt stand up straight against the wind, absolutely freezing and pissing it down, and i was still comfortable.

some layers for warmth and they also waterproof you better. the top, and first t shirt will absorb any water to get through your jacket, so you'll still be dry.

i have a berghaus balaclava, which was about 25 pounds, and is fairly waterproof and covers all my neck.

if its really crappy out, i pop this on, and put my hood up and fasten it at the front. keeps your face nice and warm, and because it covers my mouth and nose, minimises heat lose from breathing.

expensive kit is not neccesary. this is fine for multiple days, all i do to dry kit off is to strip down, get snug in my sleeping bag, and rotate my layers. having wet shirt first, then a dry shirt means i may feel a bit icky, but it drys off fairly well, and i dont get hyperthermic in the process.

get some gloves and your good to go.

and for cold weather a tip i was always told was this. every so often, starting with your little finger, touch your thumb, sort of like the OK sign. work your way along your fingers. its quite common when its cold, not to be able to touch your little finger and thumb together. as you get colder, the fewer fingers you can touch with your thumb.
    first to go is usually the little finger, followed by your ring finger, then middle and index.

if you can only touch one finger to your thumb on each hand, you have to stop and take some action to warm up. if its really nasty weather, and you cant touch any fingers together, you probably wont be able to put up your tent, light a match or help your partner if they had an accident.
  14. Wearing issue gear doesnt make you a walt. I am a civie and hike in 95s and norgie tops. Reason being they are great for the price and do the job well. For the same reasons I DONT wear combat boots..

If you are on a budget get a pair of 95s, a norgie, some thermal underwear (mountain warehouse always have offers on), a decent waterproof jacket, cheap over trousers and a thinsulate hat and you will be sorted.

Dont skimp on boots and socks.