Hill Walk Training Advice

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by floating up river, Apr 22, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello all,

hope i've chosen the correct place to post this. I'm currently training to join the Ta and need to do a bit of hill walking with bergen.

I've been going up to the Brecon Beacons which is great but I can't really afford the diesel so wondered if anyone could recommend something challenging in the London area. Up and down routes and so on. Failing that I suppose i could ask the shard but not sure it will bring on the running too much.

Thanks in advance.
  2. Depends on the part of london you're in, but just go running around any of the parks.
  3. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

4. Two possible solutions:
    (1) cheaper transport to Brecon Beacons / Peak District etc, by advance purchase of rail / bus ticket or car sharing eg www.liftshare.com.
    (2) hillyish areas nearer London eg South Downs, North Downs; might still be worth investigating cheaper public transport tickest and / or liftsharing.
  5. Hampstead Heath can be challenging with a bit of weight if you want somewhere close.

Watch you back though, and don't trip over any Tory MPs
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Brecon from London? Which unit are you joining, the RLC Ramblers?

You're very keen.
  7. RLC Ramblers sounds quite appealing, do they have a Golden handshake bonus as well?
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Thanks all, yeah I thought about London parks but thought I might look a bit odd with a 25kg bergen on my back, especially so close to the London Marathon. North downs i was trying out the other week but was a bit easy to be honest when you've just been up the fan. Just need to get creative with the routes I guess as Brotherton says. That or bike out to wales but that is desperate....
  9. If your finding it easy then increase the distance, speed and weight mate
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Thanks, already on it. When I say easy i guess i mean slightly less horrible.
  11. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Get the train from Euston to Tring, it's only about half an hour. Then beast yourself around Ashridge Forest, Pitstone Quarry, Dunstable Downs and Ivinghoe Beacon.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Why would you go to Brecon from London to train for the TA?

Even if you were going to join 'them' or similar surely 'they' would be able to give you the best advice.
  13. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer