Hill sprints

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Boxingmad, Oct 11, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. With hill sprints, are these good for fat loss too, or is it mainly fitness? I think Joe Calzaghe was a big user of hill training, and I'm just wondering if they can be used every day or is it something to be done once in a while. Cheers
  2. Depends on loads of variables

Incline of slopey thing you're running up
    Distance of sprints
    Repetitions and rest in between
    Effort - Heart Rate during, recover period
    Weighted resistance
    Friction resistance
    Current fitness level
    Other Training

You'd be better off asking someone who is qualified and can assess your fitness rather than some fat TA mong on here. :) Have a search on the fitness

Health and Fitness
  3. If you're going for CV fitness, I'd recommend 5 - 6 reps of a hill that is about 300m long, no more than 10m height gain. Interval 1 should be run at the same pace as interval 5/6. Rest by walking back to your starting position, and immediately start running again. Interval training is hard, but it isn't supposed to kill you - the moment you can't maintain your pace, stop training.

I'd do this no more than twice a week, with at least 48 hours between reps. Add in a long, slow run (5 - 8 miles, comfy pace) and if you really want, a short sprint interval session. Give it 3 months or so, and you'll be racing the butcher's dog....