Hill fitness

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by joey123, Oct 25, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hello all i am currently training for a course that would involve carrying a fair amount of weight over long distances. im at a good level of fitness currently, but being in a very flat area and not being able to get away to a hilly area very often i am rather limited to what training i can do. was wondering if anybody could give me any pointers on what i could do to improve my ability to carry weight over distances when not able to do it all the time, thanks

2. Obviously training on actual hills is the only real way to get hill fit. But I was in a similar position several years back and I found that plodding up and down the stairs of a 5 level multi-storey car park for an hour at a time with a progressively heavier bergan really helped over the course of a few weeks. The smell of stale piss and odd looks from eventually stopped bothering me too.

3. If you have access to a treadmill you could try cranking the angle up nice and steep.

4. i live in cambridge so it is a prity flat area and the biggest hill nearby is only 75m which isnt going to do me wonders, would spinning sessions and leg strength sessions help me out at all?

5. Just train the muscle that will be used to the extreme, namely the following:

Gluts (especially, glut min and med)
    Hamstrings
    Quads
    Lower back

6. how would you recommend i do this? i need to be able to cover 40 miles towards the end at 4kph, thanks!

7. As said before, bergen on, find an apartment block with stacks of stairs, up you go. Enjoy.

8. Or lots of step-ups, in front of the telly.

Get good, then fill bergen with books/bricks/the lead you've removed from your roof to stop the pikeys from nicking it/stuff you'd actually carry and repeat.

9. Cycling is good.

10. How often can you train? can you incorporate training into work? (for example, could you carry 15kg's of dumbells to and from work)

other than that, it's all about practice, go on google earth, get a point 10 miles from your house, walk to that point and back with 15-30kg = profit. (If you're fit you should be able to manage 4+ miles per hour)

bear in mind you need a good quality rucksack, good quality boots and socks, and try to have the weight at the top of the rucksack, close to your back. I'm guessing if you keep up with fitness you're not a mong, and won't stroll out the first day with 40k's on and slip a disc, 15 k should be fine to start with.

Carrying weight is something you won't get used to unless you actually do it. Resistance training will help your muscles but won't make it easier to carry a heavy pack.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Just be aware that this shortens the hip flexor muscles. As long as you stretch (footballers groin stretch), you should be fine.

Google glute min and med exercises.

12. i am able to train weekdays as i am at uni and can train every other weekend due to work.

13. In that case i'd take 3 hours every other night and go walk about. You should be able to cover between 12 and 15 miles with a weighted backpack.

Hills would be beneficial but aren't the be all and end all. Just getting used to wearing a heavy pack will do wonders. The majority of cardio would be done while running/swimming w/e, not while walking.

The best exercises to do would be core and trunk (sit ups, plank, that one on your back where you raise your feet 6 inches, put you hands under your lower back if you struggle)

Once you start getting used to it, ramp it up at the week-ends, try 20-30 etc

All i can suggest is to stay hydrated and if you can afford to, get decent trail food (nuts, dried fruit, chocolate, sweets) stuff you can munch on the go.

14. Oh yeah, and run. Lots.

15. would it not be worth following an ironman triathlon training program?