Discussion in 'Aviation' started by Fred_Frog_1987, Oct 30, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Reeeeeeet then folks, for those about to reminisce, I salute you.

This thread is for all us old farts who served in the frontest of front lines in good ol' BAOR. If you knew of Dickie's bar, Dave's bar, Coupe 17, Rainbows, "Tofrek Kaserne bitte", the Korea Bell, Himmelstur and served in either 651, 652 or 661 anytime from about 1981 to 1993...this is the post for you.

Well, let me kick things off. As a proud member of the Baby-Scaring Chosen Few of 652, one thing that I remember is taking the Squadron keys back up to the Ops room after a Friday happy hour in the bar. As any groundie will know, the distance from '52 up to the Regt was about 23 miles, so walking was out of the question quite frankly. Luckily, we had a perfectly good tractor called 'Armageddon' which given a drunk Air Trooper and a pan clear of cabs could be fired up to about 40mph. One evening I had the honour of taking the keys back after a skinful of Becks and decided to take the Yellow Taxi. Now unknown to me, the MT boys had replaced the inner tube earlier that day, but not in a good way. Frankly, they'd done the sort of job that a crack-riddled Chav at Kwik-Fit would've been ashamed of...the f**king thing had a massive lump in the right hand rear tyre and gave a two foot vertical bounce with every revolution. Did that stop me going as fast as I could down the pan? Did it f**k. I floored the beast and as I passed 651 I started to take on the same facial expressions as those astronauts in the G-simulators.... no pain, no gain...keep going, keep going.... nearly there....

It was at this point that things started to go wrong...remember the start of the Six Million Dollar Man when he crashes and they have to rebuild him? It was nothing like that, but a couple of things fell off the tractor and I had to stop to pick them up, at which point the duty driver came out in his Lanny to see if I was ok. The stench of beer and my apparent confusion lead him to the correct assumption that I was ar$eoled, so he parked the tractor and drove me back to block...thus saving me from a possible spot of bother from the duty NCO when having to explain why I'd left bits of tractor all the way up the pan.
  2. We definately know each other then cos I was there from 81 to 93 give or take a couple of short tours
  3. Long in the tooth you must be. Que'est ce squadron mon amis?
  4. Was in 651 (81 to 84) and 661 (84 to 89) HQ (92 to 93)
  5. I was there......79-83.........661Sqn...........Lived in Himmelstur.
  6. I visited a few times in the 80's. Wasn't the Drac Pack (Sultan crews) born there?
  7. Anybody know if Dickie is still alive.?, Was with 1 Regt for nigh on 6 years,great days.
  8. Not the suspiciously effeminate Dickie?

The one that got a commission and ended up in Dishforth in the early '90's?

Or am I thinking of someone else?
  9. Rod924

Rod924 LE Reviewer

Thought Dickie was the barman?

I was there 1989 - 91 when old 4.5 fingers was the razzman and whispering Ron was the scaring the life out of the guard, in his own special way. Anyone play football for the regt at that time, remember coming back from op Banner to play in the Army cup (BAOR) semi final!!!!!
  10. I was there from the end of 79 till about the summer of 81. HQSqn first then 661. Then went to Soest. Spud (not that I would have called it to his face) was SSM 651, he was also RSM at Soest when I got there. He organised a Hang Gliding course from Hildesheim, a week staying at the old Para battle camp in Brecon and learning to hang glide with a civvy club. Don't supose anyone else here remembers it or took part.

About the only place I remember, these days, with any clarity, is Hoffmans, by the station. Curry wurse and chips at 5 in the morning after a night on the lash.
  11. 5 Reg next door to bear corps!! Nights at the Bebop dodging the town patrol because it was out of bounds,what a gaff,the Party Club on the way into town(owner's fit daughter!) was a good posting.
  12. Dickie was the barman, and in a former life was the SWO of the then RAF Gutersloh. When we all moved to the "land of milk and honey" Dickie was over the moon. Didn't last too long though. In the AAC finest 'traditions' (or is that habits) they found a crappy place for him to try and set up a Regt bar, and it never really took off. His wife died whist we were at the banana and so he moved on with what he thought was 'his family', I suppose he should have known better.
    Going to the Maple Leaf reunion next month and so should find out more.
  13. Clod,
    " effeminate Dickie?

The one that got a commission and ended up in Dishforth in the early '90's?"

Shirley ya means ? but no names.
    PM if ya needs info
  14. I was there 88-95 had an awesome time, where did all my money go? Who else had a mad bear living in the accomodation?? Went out, spent all your money, got you into a scrap, trashed your room on it's return, and then shit in your mouth leaving the most rancid taste in the morning!!!
  15. Rod924, I was the keeper,28 Eng Regt went on to win the cup. We should have had a pen in the first 10 mins, but the ref bottled it.We had a good team until Saddam spoiled it.???