Hiking Boots

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by blonde_guy, Nov 14, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm keen to but a new pair of boots, anyone got any experience of the Meindl Borneos?
  2. I've had a pair for about 18mths and they're cracking, comfortable and robust. If you've not had Meindl boots before its worth getting professionally fitted to make sure they're right for you.
  3. Not had Meindl boots before; did you go a half size up on your normal size?
  4. Yes i'm normally a 10.5 went up to an 11. Width is important though, the guy who fitted me has done a lot of walking and climbing and was a real font of knowledge. I've got wide feet so he recommended Meindl.
  5. Surprised by the wide feet thing -I'm 8.5 G and had to have mine stretched on the ski boot stretcher at Ellis Brigham. When I bought them they were £125 which was a reasonable price.

I had non-GTX ones and my feet dried out considerably faster than in any GTX boot I've worn (do enough walking and your feet will get wet at some point).

The boot itself is a good weight, sturdy enough for an ML course and comfy enough to be worn day after day. The ankle support is very good and the on Snowdonia mountain race my feet were the only bits of me not in agony. They were described as 3/4 season boots but they're definitely not for use above the snowline if you'll need to fit crampons.

I replaced them with a pair of Altberg Fremingtons where the wider fit feels more natural.
  6. I was going to get Borneo's but went for the Burma pro instead, liked the idea of gortex lining. Again no complaints
  7. I've got two pairs...Raichle (now called Mammut I think) and Berghaus Explorers. The Berghaus win hands down for me.
  8. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I've just spent 10 days hiking in Peru, Inca trails etc. I wore Meindl Desert Foxes. The mut's nuts. I did not want anything Gortex because unless its cold and wet my feet tend to sweat a lot and get wet and manky in Gortex boots. Frankly I could not find any other suitable non-Gortex boots - not at least without shelling out mega bucks.

I had worn them on the Mournes doing a bit of pre-trek training and despite going through bogs, fording sallow rivers (in Norn Iron and Peru) my feet never got wet. Obviously they are not going to stay dry in full immersion but Gortex boots don't stop water coming over the top but do hold it in.
  9. Fronty

Fronty Old-Salt Book Reviewer

I've just about given up trying to find a decent pair of boots to replace my North Face ones... Traipsed round countless shops over the last couple of months trying to find something, but people either don't have clown sizes (I take a size 12+) or are out of stock, or my wife has said that they looked like "special shoes". Bless her...

I've always liked Meindl, but are the Desert Foxes really that good?
  10. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Horses for courses, or whatever cliché (my spell checker added the gay accent thingy) you want , but I certainly could not fault them as walking boots on a reasonably serious trek - better than anything I've had before. I've just bought myself a pair of Lowa Jungle boots because I wanted something similar I can wear in uniform in this country as I'm getting tired of wet sweaty feet from the Lowa Gortex and try as I might I cannot get on with the issue boots.
  11. Echo BA statement: personal preference really I have a Pr as I got them for a bargain & could'nt recommend them highly enough for the job there mean't for, for all other jobs outside MDF remit I've got the Lowa Mountain Bt..
  12. Cold_Collation

Cold_Collation LE Book Reviewer

God, no. Overpriced, trading on a name and flimsy.

I'm still running a pair of Raichles which refuse to die, bless 'em. But if the Altbergs I got the missus a couple of birthdays back are anything to go by, that's wear I'll head next.
  13. Cold_Collation

Cold_Collation LE Book Reviewer

I mean flimsy in the sense that they don't offer as much support as other options. Definitely comfortable but more something for a slightly more waterproof stroll than a shoe, as compared to a serious walking boot.
  14. The Aku NS 564 is a super-lite multi terrain boot. Developed in conjunction with the US Navy Seals, this boot is a tough, rugged all-rounder and with NO Gore-Tex liner it makes it perfect for European backpacking and travel. Now a favorite with our own 'Armed Forces'. The breathability is superb, leaving your feet comfortable all day and your socks almost dry at the end.

At first they seem weird as they have a very low sole profile, if you are tabbing for a longer distance, I would put in a pair of sorbathanes. If you buy from Trekkit and state you are forces, you get a discount.
  15. Fronty

Fronty Old-Salt Book Reviewer

I have to admit that my last pair of Akus did last a long time, but then the gore-tex liner started going and no amount of re-proofer would keep my feet dry.