Highway code /right of way , one for Traffic ..

Out on my motorbike today , pull up to a roundabout ready to take the first exit , dikchead in car pulls alongside my right about a foot from my bike , he couldn't wait his turn to get to the roundabout , he was looking right , I bang on his window as he`s drifting across towards me , dikchead then decides to follow me and cuts in front as I take the first exit , he then stops in front of me so I also stop alongside pleasantries were exchanged (not) , he`s screaming its a two lane entry onto the roundabout , I said I wasnt bothered (my explanation also involved words such as thick , blind, fat and cnut) either way as he was drifting to the left, he then tailgated me for a couple of hundred yards and turned off , so my question is if entry onto a roundabout is two lane is it always marked as so?
I was where the yellow star is on the pic.

1623589830847.png

MARTOK

War Hero
Out on my motorbike today , pull up to a roundabout ready to take the first exit , dikchead in car pulls alongside my right about a foot from my bike , he couldn't wait his turn to get to the roundabout , he was looking right , I bang on his window as he`s drifting across towards me , dikchead then decides to follow me and cuts in front as I take the first exit , he then stops in front of me so I also stop alongside pleasantries were exchanged (not) , he`s screaming its a two lane entry onto the roundabout , I said I wasnt bothered (my explanation also involved words such as thick , blind, fat and cnut) either way as he was drifting to the left, he then tailgated me for a couple of hundred yards and turned off , so my question is if entry onto a roundabout is two lane is it always marked as so?

View attachment 581064
The fact that the road is wide enough for two lanes doesn’t mean there are two lanes. If there are no markings to show two lanes then you should assume there is only one lane.

In instances like this drivers are relying on a bit of courtesy which in this instance you were not shown.

I use a roundabout similar to this most days, after a couple of near misses were I am going straight on and the vehicle on my right has also gone straight on I have taken to staying smack in the middle of the ‘single’ lane preventing any other vehicle coming alongside me.

View attachment 581064

No markings to separate into lanes, then dominate the space and discourage chancers.

Wot @MARTOK said. It may physically appear to be wide enough for two cars but you need to take into account the swept-path an HGV or bus would take around it.
1623592345202.png

Last edited:

View attachment 581064

If his original intention was to to take an exit to the right then his road position was correct.

From what you’ve posted you’ve got anti about nothing in particular. You shouldn’t have rattled his window. He shouldn’t have then cut left from his position.

You’re both in the wrong, but you started it. Stop being so precious.

He sounds a nob but as Dan Gleebles said if you dominate the space or create a bubble he would’ve been stuck behind you. You missed an opportunity to open his rear passenger door and give him some valuable exercise whilst you made of like a greased weasel.

Sit right in the middle and keep everything behind you.
You are wearing gloves with Armoured knuckles and a crash helmet and you failed to stick the head into him then punch him into a pulp.

Slack drills... Very slack drills.

If his original intention was to to take an exit to the right then his road position was correct.

From what you’ve posted you’ve got anti about nothing in particular. You shouldn’t have rattled his window. He shouldn’t have then cut left from his position.

Ride a motorbike do you? obviously not , if you did you`d soon realise you have to ride defensively and forcefully all the time or get squashed .

You are wearing gloves with Armoured knuckles and a crash helmet and you failed to stick the head into him then punch him into a pulp.

It was very tempting and would have been very easy to do but an assault conviction would be quite costly ,ie business gone.

So you're saying @CptDanjou is a raving hermer then?

Ride a motorbike do you? obviously not , if you did you`d soon realise you have to ride defensively and forcefully all the time or get squashed .

I fully accept that, but why start smashing on his window? You must realise that it’s only going to rile people.

You stated you were turning left, the vehicles would be diverging. Where’s the danger? You may have felt nervous because he was a foot away from you, but I bet you don’t have such an issue when you are inches away from cars as you filter through them, besides that, cars are frequently that close when they pull up at roundabouts.

There are ********* on the road, the problem is that if said ********* are driving cars you are going to come off second best, on a bike, if they go too far and it sounds like the particular ******** was very close to going too far. You’re no good to anyone dead, even if you are in the right.

How can his position be correct in a single lane approach to a roundabout?

No.
He's one of those Foreign Legion types and I'll be verbally beaten to death with lots of Merdes, Sacre Blues and the Marseillaise on repeat play
What about the stench of garlic and unwashed bodies, as is traditional with yer frogs.

How can his position be correct in a single lane approach to a roundabout?

I can’t answer that, @CptDanjou paints a good picture, but without being there it’s not absolutely clear.
The highway code is quite clear about road positioning.

It's quite clear from the aerial photo it's a single lane.

The width of the carriageway doesn't determine how many lanes it has.

It may not be marked, but if it’s wide enough for two vehicles invariably two vehicles are going to use it.

It may not be marked, but if it’s wide enough for two vehicles invariably two vehicles are going to use it.

Many town high streets have wide, single lane carriageways, doesn't mean it accommodates more than single lane traffic.

Just because people may do so, it doesn't mean they're right, as you wrongly suggested this chump was.