Highly polished boots and belts

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by RPGTabs, Oct 16, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Here is a dumb question from a novice - be kind to me!

I am off to Sandhurst in a few weeks for my PQO course, and I am starting to work on polishing kit. I have new shoes and crossbelts to prepare.

In the past I have had very good results bulling up boots using spit and polish and lots of time. However, I have been told that 'burning down' and beeswaxing is the proper way to do it. How do I go about burning and beeswaxing?

2. mysteron

mysteron LE Book Reviewer

Crossbelts fella? Are you assuming that you have already been accepted intro a specific Regiment? If not don't worry about your crossbelts.

Boots - serious advice now. Have you got any mates who are in the Guards or Household Cav? That would be a good start. I watched as a former Colour Sgt did it and never got the hang of it myself!!!

3. Go to the RAC forum and ask for the Butler, now he does know his stuff, though he has also posted in other bits about bulling boots.

4. RTFQ, mysteron.

I don't think he or she is trying to get into the Household Div.

Plus, the avatar might be a givaway..... :wink:

5. mysteron

Flashy - fair play - sweet revenge for me logging you out earlier - even stevens!!

6. It was HE last time I looked...

7. mysteron

I thought HE was omnipresent.

Oh, I do kneel by my bedside every night as well...honest. :wink:

Top tips for the future: Morale Bags should only have Wine Gums, Black Jacks or Refreshers. :thumleft:

Edited to add: Also be quick with a swift exorcism on armoured vehicles that keep on breaking down. Worked for me when our padre did one....did not break down for the rest of a BATUS season. Gleaming. :D

8. so, let me get this right...

The burning down is the heating of the leather with a blowtorch, and then the beeswax is rubbed in whilst the leather is hot.

Do I need to strip back the shoes/belt to the leather before I start? When I last did this with a pair of boots I used a mineral oil (meths). That could produce interesting results when I add the blowtorch!!!

9. msr

msr LE

10. Try the ARRSEpedia here :shiny stuff from the butler

He knows his shiny stuff.

Edited to add.........Faster fingers by msr, sorry.

11. mysteron

RPGTabs - serious note here.

I find it commendable that you care over your appearance, not many of the PQOs do. But on the flip side, don't get too stressed about it. A good effort will get respect from the boys, but looking after them with a good bag of morale, a steady ear and a moral compass (all of which I have no doubt you will provide) are what they really want and need.

12. I suspect at this juncture he's more worried about the views of RMAS RSM than his subsequent flock.

FF.

13. mysteron

FF - maybe. But I found the majority of Padres have a greater respect of the Big Man than the AcSM.

14. Absolutely Mysteron, but I only get one shot at Sandhurst and passing off in front of my Mum :D So I want to get it right.

I've got a fair idea by now of what the boys and girls want, but a Padre who looks like a sack of **** isn't it! I've come accross stories of Padre's who are not taken seriously because they are poor soldiers. I want to be a good Chaplain AND be a half decent STAB if possible.

Apart from that, I'm planning to go on holiday with my unit soon somewhere sandy and hot, so it's impotant I get this right! As a mate of mine who (unfortunately joined the Marines) said - "If you can't look after your unform, how can you be expected to look after your men?'