Highlighting Bullying Deaths in the Russian Army

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Speedy, Jun 6, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A good article here from the Beeb. The Russian anti-bullying pressure group 'The Mothers Right Foundation' have create a page on an Russian equivelent of Facebook with dead sons etc. to highlight the problems of bullying, suicide and murders in the armed forces. What is particularly shocking is the sheer number of 'peace time' deaths they have!

BBC News - Russian social networking site speaks for dead soldiers

I'm also trying to track down a report from a couple of years back suggesting that many of the problems Russia faces of violence and crime in society are linked to to the former conscripts experiences in the forces. I recall reading it online and now can't remember where I saw it!!
  2. Forget it. Sergei will be along shortly to 'prove' that it's a a figment of the Western Imperialist Press' imagination, designed to show the wonderful post-communist Russia in a negative light. Lies, lies all lies he'll tell us, and theres nothing we can do to prove otherwise.
  3. Remember a case a couple of years back where a conscript was forced to crouch/squat in a stress position for hours. He developed gangrene and his legs and sexual organs had to be amputated. They expect men who are treated like that to fight?
  4. Is there any coincidence to time of death, and when they were taught beret shaping?
  5. Thats nothing...try working at McDonalds.....
  6. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

it was endemic and due to the shake and bake system they applied with ncos being picked as clever and sent for an extra few weeks of training while the junior officers ran the platoons in reality. the yanks had similar issues during the 60's and 70's.

the other option is that they took phrase 'won on the playing fields of eton' as an example and took fagging a wee bit too far.

there is a doco about it somewhere which is very truthfull and brutal probably somewhere in the channel 4 archives.
  7. KGB not stuck his nose in yet to say that it's all a load of lies spread by the prostitutes of the local brothels?
  8. Sorry didn't see your post before I wrote mine! Yes, Sergei seems to be taking his time here.
  9. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

bbc 2004 the doco I was on about was august 2001

BBC NEWS | World | Europe | Russian army bullying 'horrific'

The international group Human Rights Watch has published a detailed study of what it calls horrific violence against new conscripts in the Russian army.

The report, called The Wrongs of Passage, makes sickening reading.

It makes clear that the ritual of organised bullying, known as "dedovshchina", has not only continued since Soviet times but become harsher.

Dedovshchina is a self-perpetuating system, with two draft periods a year where conscripts enlist for two years.

That means that at any time there are four distinct groups of conscripts in any barracks.

'Horrific violence'

Dedovshchina especially concerns the senior soldiers - in their last six months - and the newest recruits.

The seniors are in many cases given free rein to treat the juniors as little more than slaves.

And if the juniors do not do as they are told, the seniors often use horrific violence to enforce their rule. Juniors tolerate it, because next year the boot will be on the other foot.

The situation is exacerbated by the fact that most conscripts are ill-educated and frequently come from backgrounds with severe social problems.

And many junior officers either do not care about the welfare of their soldiers, or passively encourage the bullying as it gives a certain "discipline" to the barrack block.

The report claims that tens of thousands of soldiers run away from their units every year because of the widespread abuse

Thousands more are left physically and or mentally scarred. Hundreds are killed or commit suicide.

The abuse has been known about for several years. But the human rights organisation points out that the Russian leadership has done nothing to address the problem.

Need for protection

The report even quotes the Defence Minister, Sergei Ivanov, as implying that there is something suspicious about the Committees of Soldiers' Mothers, which have done much to help those victimised by the system.

Human Rights Watch concludes that the very least that could be done would be the establishment of an ombudsman to protect the rights of Russian servicemen.

The ombudsman would have the right of access to military bases at any time, could speak in private to any serviceman, and have access to documents and correspondence from soldiers who are often too terrified to speak of their ordeal.

As Human Rights Watch points out, this is not merely an internal Russian matter.

Dedovshchina and those who carry it out - or tacitly encourage it - are preventing Russia from complying with human rights obligations in international conventions willingly agreed to by the Russian government.

The Russian authorities, though, do not have a history of bowing to pressure from non-governmental organisations.
  10. Its called character building, We all had it hard, I myself once had to make a bed block.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Russian Tolerance (but funny)

12. It's only going to get easier - they let poofs in the army now...so i'm told....
  13. strange how these systems work out. In the old junior leaders regiments the junior soldiers largely ran themselves after the first 7 weeks of training with little out of hours and weekend input from permanent staff, and nothing like this occured, even from juniors in more senior troops/platoons. In fact, as in most of the army, any kind of bullying was looked down on with much distaste and bullies often dealt with either informally or very harshly via the 'system'.
    I wonder how it was the Russian system ended up like this (poor NCO's/senior leadership?), what started it and how long it took to 'evolve' to its current state, and more importantly what they are goign to do. I know Russia is now aiming for more professional armed forces, but until they have a reliable and experienced NCO 'backbone' to ensure this stuff does not happen they are going to be stuffed, especially if they create that NCO corps from adherants of the current system!
  14. This is nothing new, in the war, NKVD units went in behind the frontline units - anyone who thought of wavering or running knew that not only would he be shot, but that his family would suffer. 10,000 Russian soldiers were shot for 'cowardice' (or other imagined 'crimes') during the Battle for Stalingrad alone.