Higher than a speeding bullet?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by vvaannmmaann, Jan 3, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Following a very strange visit to the pub last night,a question for you lot.
    If a round was fired into the sky,90 degrees to the earth,and pretend the wind,and the rotation of the earth is not a problem,how high would the round travel before falling back to earth?

2. very

3. Tough one, but with my superior intellect and £2 Tesco Back 2 School Calculator I've worked it out as exactly 1478.3m or 1616.6 yards or 4850.6 feet.

Hope that helps.

4. I guess the distance would be greater firing 90 degrees from the Southern Hemisphere (as opposed to the Northern), because it would be down, not up. :wink:

5. JEEEEEEEEE-SUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS, I bet it's party time everynight in your local.

(BTW the answer is ZERO. The ROUND wouldn't travel anywhere. A projectile from the round would though.)

6. Sir, I've double checked your calculation and regret to inform you that you've failed to account for the difference in height from the firing position to the point of impact - as such your figure is short by a matter of six feet...

Regards

Mrs Trellis, North Wales.

7. No! All those hours wasted over those calculations, my wife left me because I was so tied in to my work, i lost my job, my friends - all for nothing!

*Breaking news, man found dead in his home at his PC. Initial reports suggest he died from a massive trauma to the head, Police suspect it was due to repeatedly banging his head on his desk whilst browsing the controversial Army Rumour Service website. His death is believed to be the 5th of this kind in the past 4 weeks, a Police official states it is due to users of the site becoming tired with sh!t threads and questions being repeated over and over again by new users. The public are being advised not to fcuk their relatives to prevent further inbreeding.*

8. [​IMG]
    :D

9. However I always enjoy Vvaannmmaann's avatar, most arousing.

10. would it not depend on calibre etc...surely a .50 would travel further then a 5.56?? or would the projectiles weight counteract??

11. Thank you for your help.(Unlike some people I could mention)
    As for the avatar,I like to help when I can!

12. Thats it Chegs,that the sort of intelligent response I was hoping for.Unlike some people I could mention,again!

13. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

Surely that depends on the quantity and type of propellant in the case?

A 0.5 bullet fired by a .22 case would miss the ceiling by a couple of feet :lol:

14. I was once told a 7.62 would travel approx 4 miles if nothing got in it's way that is.

15. And just how do you intend on combining those two components? Black nasty? Spunk? Gypsy's filth?