High seat tonight

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by armr617, Oct 3, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have just spent 5 hrs sat in a high seat waiting for Roe, pig, fox or racoon.

You would think that with such a wide choice I should have bagged something.
    Nope, I didnt see so much as a bloody rabbit!
    I was sat on the corner of a patch of maize approx 100m sq, the moon made an appearance around 10 and I left at 11.

next time I take a flask! it was damn windy (seat had a back but no sides)

do you guys in UK have better luck?
  2. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Its all about ensuring the deer have read part 1 orders and also the correct stalking books.

To be honest deer dont do books very well, cloven hoofs arent as good, many days in the wood pass as a hit and miss wander glimpsing backsides pronking through the bushes or hours in a high seat nodding off and missing everything. I wouldnt get too upset, its not as if you only have 2 weeks a year to fill your tag like the yanks is it?
    Every minute in the woods even out of season is reconnaisance and that is never wasted!
  3. I remember that stalk with you Ugly......selfish b@stards only came into view at last light, and in some other fcukers fields :(
  4. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

They're like that they hate ex scaleys!
  5. Aaaaaaah that explains it then, I'm ex part scaley (RLC Comms)
    so maybe theres enough in there to hate!

I know what you're saying ugly with ref to time spent, thats probably my 6-7th time to that particular revier, with no luck (only ever see things that arent on that nights list!)
  6. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I find high seats a double edged sword, when I want to use one it means I cant cover other bits of the ground. Siting the seat correctly is very important and can need to be reviewed on an almost month by month basis. I have several and some are just about perfect where as others are make do!
  7. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

So . . . . . that arm at the front is not for resting your head then? :oops:
  8. I was REME you biff ;)
  9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

they dont like them that much either
  10. Ahh double fecked then, ex RLC comms, now REME!
  11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

To be honest time spent wandering your ground, using cameras to plot deer trails and times is always worthwhile. I can generally put a rifle onto a deer but I dont guarantee it, anyone that does is to be watched closely!
    High seats are a good tool but its often not just where its sited but how, back from the treeline a few yards often helps, you dont always get the perfect clear arcs but deer often pause just inside the cover after crossing open ground.