High seat tonight

I have just spent 5 hrs sat in a high seat waiting for Roe, pig, fox or racoon.

You would think that with such a wide choice I should have bagged something.
Nope, I didnt see so much as a bloody rabbit!
I was sat on the corner of a patch of maize approx 100m sq, the moon made an appearance around 10 and I left at 11.

next time I take a flask! it was damn windy (seat had a back but no sides)

do you guys in UK have better luck?

ugly

LE
Its all about ensuring the deer have read part 1 orders and also the correct stalking books.

To be honest deer dont do books very well, cloven hoofs arent as good, many days in the wood pass as a hit and miss wander glimpsing backsides pronking through the bushes or hours in a high seat nodding off and missing everything. I wouldnt get too upset, its not as if you only have 2 weeks a year to fill your tag like the yanks is it?
Every minute in the woods even out of season is reconnaisance and that is never wasted!

P

PrinceAlbert

I remember that stalk with you Ugly......selfish b@stards only came into view at last light, and in some other fcukers fields :(

ugly

LE
They're like that they hate ex scaleys!

ugly said:
They're like that they hate ex scaleys!
Aaaaaaah that explains it then, I'm ex part scaley (RLC Comms)
so maybe theres enough in there to hate!

I know what you're saying ugly with ref to time spent, thats probably my 6-7th time to that particular revier, with no luck (only ever see things that arent on that nights list!)

ugly

LE
I find high seats a double edged sword, when I want to use one it means I cant cover other bits of the ground. Siting the seat correctly is very important and can need to be reviewed on an almost month by month basis. I have several and some are just about perfect where as others are make do!

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
So . . . . . that arm at the front is not for resting your head then? :oops:

ugly

LE
they dont like them that much either

ugly

LE
To be honest time spent wandering your ground, using cameras to plot deer trails and times is always worthwhile. I can generally put a rifle onto a deer but I dont guarantee it, anyone that does is to be watched closely!
High seats are a good tool but its often not just where its sited but how, back from the treeline a few yards often helps, you dont always get the perfect clear arcs but deer often pause just inside the cover after crossing open ground.