Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

High Performance

KnockKnock

On ROPS
On ROPs
High Performance
When Britain Ruled the Roads
Author Peter Grimsdale

The mainly blue background illustration on the front cover has a picture of what looks to me like a C type Jaguar in the lead, this image depicting the main book title ‘High Performance’. The subtitle ‘When Britain Ruled the Roads’ might give the impression this is a book for older readers wishing to dwell on a forgotten past, this is not so. Peter Grimsdale is described on the book dust cover as a best selling novelist, elsewhere briefly detailed on the dust cover is how drivers like “Stirling Moss, Jim Clark and Paddy Hopkirk were household names. Designers like John Cooper and Lotus’s Colin Chapman had blown away the opposition. Alex Issigonis would get a knighthood for his Mini. Inspired by the the spitfire,…”

The 41 short chapters make this an easy book to pick up read for a while then put down and return to again latter on to read some more, but once I had started reading, I didn't want to stop and the total 301 pages never seemed enough for me.

Chapter 3 ‘Suburban Tearaway’ starts in 1946, “….a tiny silver vehicle…” car made of unpainted aluminium, exposed wheels and a low crescent of perspex and only a rev counter, is heading along the Kingston by Pass ….. “…John Cooper had built his first racing car, in just five weeks.”

Latter on in the book we read of a well known racing driver whose father had competed at Brooklands and who also had during the second world war, invented and patented what became the Morrison Shelter, an indoor air raid shelter.

There is so much of interest in this book, the Aston Martin, the Mini, MG, Sunbeam Alpine, Jaguar, Maserati, Lotus, Ferrari, BMC, even ‘Sputnik’ gets a mention on page 179, the list is diverse and goes on and on, but what is most interesting is that this book recollects a period in this country where there was no MOT, no 70 mph speed limit, during which creative guys could find a garage, an old building or railway arch in which to work unhindered by any workplace legislation, building engines and racing car bodies to blow away the opposition thriving on adversity, Improvisation and obstinate determination, in turn finally to convince the motor industry as in ‘Epilogue’ ‘Blowing the Doors Off’ it was time for change.

A well presented hardback with a classy dust cover including comments by Ben Collins (The Stig) and ‘High Performance’ embossed in white through the paper dust cover making this a book nice to handle, I shall give this book a prominent position amongst other books and read it again and again just for the stories, and also as a reference work.

Last edited:

KnockKnock

On ROPS
On ROPs
Cannot get the attached image to position on my book review 'High Performance' without pic appearing (thumbnail) within the last line of the text. So here it is

Attachments

• DSC02064.JPG
    DSC02064.JPG
    928.2 KB · Views: 10

Latest Threads