High on a Hill

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by cartax_dodger, Jul 27, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hiya, My old man was 2 RGJ back in the 80's and I always remembered the many MANY times I heard High on a Hill - does anyone know the origins of it at all ?

Its stil a haunting tune and sets my spine tingling

Thanks in advance

2. The Light Division Bugle Tune - surely there must be some Bugle Major that knows the history out there ?

3. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I was taught it was an LI tune arranged for the Bugles at Shrewsbury and not an old tune.
    It could have been bull though although its a cracking tune and when the Massed Bands of the light div all 6 of them and 6 bugle platoons got together it was certainly something to see!

4. You're either having a larf, or tried to be clever and failed miserably.

5. Maybe I should have turned my speakers on. I just searched youtube. At least I knew it was not by someone like Bon Jovi :)

6. Dont mean to put a downer on things but been to quite a few RGJ funerals in the past few years (My old man was 3 RGJ) and this is always the song they play. Awesome tune.

7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Its a lovely tune, dust in the eyes moments though!

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Thanks so far guys, seems to be just one of those tunes that you always hear but never find out about ...

Posting this for a 'Bump' just to see if anyone else knows anything

Rgds

9. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Snap. My old battalion too, and they seem to be going fast.

10. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Even worse when the TA mob I joined on leaving the regs only meet for each others funerals!