High on a Hill

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by cartax_dodger, Jul 27, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hiya, My old man was 2 RGJ back in the 80's and I always remembered the many MANY times I heard High on a Hill - does anyone know the origins of it at all ?

Its stil a haunting tune and sets my spine tingling

Thanks in advance
  2. The Light Division Bugle Tune - surely there must be some Bugle Major that knows the history out there ?
  3. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I was taught it was an LI tune arranged for the Bugles at Shrewsbury and not an old tune.
    It could have been bull though although its a cracking tune and when the Massed Bands of the light div all 6 of them and 6 bugle platoons got together it was certainly something to see!
  4. You're either having a larf, or tried to be clever and failed miserably.
  5. Maybe I should have turned my speakers on. I just searched youtube. At least I knew it was not by someone like Bon Jovi :)
  6. Dont mean to put a downer on things but been to quite a few RGJ funerals in the past few years (My old man was 3 RGJ) and this is always the song they play. Awesome tune.
  7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Its a lovely tune, dust in the eyes moments though!
  8. Thanks so far guys, seems to be just one of those tunes that you always hear but never find out about ...

Posting this for a 'Bump' just to see if anyone else knows anything

9. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Snap. My old battalion too, and they seem to be going fast.
  10. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Even worse when the TA mob I joined on leaving the regs only meet for each others funerals!