High Cholesterol

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Murielson, Jun 21, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Recently undertook a freebie health assessment and told that my cholesterol is too high. In fact told that 'bad' cholesterol is too high and 'good' cholesterol is too low - never realised I had 2 types.

Hints and tips please from those that have been there as to how to get it back on track without eating raw stuff for the rest of my natura.l
  2. Porridge is great for lowering your cholesterol level. Try "Oats-so-simple" its tasty and only takes 2.5 minutes in the microwave.
  3. Swap your butter and margarine for Flora Pro-Active...
  4. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

This is from a BUPA website:

"There are several factors that may contribute to high blood cholesterol:

- a diet that's high in saturated fat and, less so, high in cholesterol
    - lack of exercise may increase LDL ("bad") cholesterol and decrease HDL ("good") cholesterol
    - family history - people are at a higher risk of high cholesterol if they have a direct male relative aged under 55 or female relative aged under 65 affected by coronary heart disease
    - being overweight, which may increase LDL ("bad") cholesterol and decrease HDL ("good") cholesterol
    - age and sex - cholesterol generally rises slightly with increasing age, and men are more likely to be affected than women
    - drinking alcohol excessively"

So in essence, stay off the pies, drink less, and be a young woman.
  5. Why is everything that is good for you bad for you? That God type chappy (or whoever) has a marvellous sense of humour.

Pies, drink - what is left??
  6. One of the best ways to cut down your cholesterol is to stop eating so many fooking pies!

On a serious note, any OAT based product (full grain) is REALLY good for reducing cholesterol

There are two types of cholesterol, HDL (good) and LDL (bad). You get HDL from polyunsaturated fats (from veg and some animal products), and LDL from saturated fats (animal fats).

Ergo, you should cut down on fatty meats, cheeses and dairy. Dont cut them out completely, just try to eat leaner meat, low fat cheese and milk.

Oh yeah and those benecol things seem to help, but thats the softy southerners way. Get devouring the porridge and you will soon be an honourable porridge wog. :D

7. Agent S,Pies (mutton) and Drink are the staple diet where you are going! Way back when Chieftan was etc......we were in BAOR,and a few of the laddies used to take a wee drink instead of a solid breakfast,on a regular basis :wink:

Come NAAFI break it was time for a "Peh" or twa, never did me any harm,honest!! :lol: :lol: A wee bit slow on the BFT front but WTF.......never failed though.I just thought to myself as I ran.... "jock pie" "jock pie" "jock pie"........it took my mind off the pain!

If the USSR and "Third Shock Army" were gonna attack us I needed all the strength I could get for my fighting withdrawal westward.It was a long way to the ferry at Ostend,especially when you consider my bergen had a Naafi vending machine in it, full of pies and also boxes of Herforder,....... these precious things, symbols of single squaddies lives, had to be saved from them god damm commie barstewards............here to pies,drink and FREEDOM. cheers :lol:
  8. ...........and tastes like the sweepings from a budgie cage.
  9. Or you could use a day old one to launch at Ivan's head. It's been done at more than one old firm match! :D
  10. Personally I prefer the 87 vintage,served with Bovril at Tynecastle. Amazing trajectory :lol:
  11. Went thumbing around the internet to satisfy my interest in this topic and found this.

First way how to lower cholesterol naturally.
    Therapeutic Lifestyle Changes (TLC).

Lifestyle changes are sometimes difficult to make. It's hard breaking a habit after all. However, knowing what you need to change is the first step towards that change.

Watch your diet and food.

Fitting in the recommended 5 servings of fruits and vegetables (2 of one group and 3 of the other) helps take the place of some of the more processed snacks. Fruits and vegetables are mostly fat free. Maintain a diet that is made of 2/3 of vegetables and fruits and 1/3 of other foods.

Latest research suggest that cholesterol lowering foods such as avocados, almonds, olive oil, soy beans, garlic, shiitake mushrooms, chili peppers, oat bran, beans (kidney, pintos, black, navy, etc.), onions, fatty fish, and flax seed play a crucial role in lowering LDL and sometimes raising HDL levels.

Stop Smoking

Ingredients in cigarette smoke are extremely oxidizing. High cholesterol is particularly dangerous when it is oxidized. Smokers have much higher need for antioxidants. The B Complex vitamins, including 2 forms of vitamin B3 (nicotinic acid and nicotinamide), can reduce nicotine cravings.

Exercise and Lose Weight.

Everyone knows that the keys to good cardiovascular health are exercise and maintaining your ideal weight. Just a few minutes per day can increase your level of high-density lipoproteins (HDL or "good" cholesterol).

Just 10 minutes of exercise first thing in the morning can increase your metabolic rate for the rest of the day. Consumption of water so that you are fully hydrated can increase your metabolic rate 24 hours per day.

Second way how to lower cholesterol naturally.
    Nutritional Supplements.

I'm not talking about supplements that some "auntie" or "uncle" used and they got in top shape and never felt better. But there are clinically proven supplements on how to lower cholesterol naturally by 10 to 20 percent.

As you'll see we are not anymore in that stage where nutritional supplements are recommended by friends, but there is solid proof and science backing up the claims on how to lower cholesterol naturally through supplements.

Policosanol has been subject to numerous clinical trials, which have proven its effectiveness on how to lower cholesterol naturally.

Policosanol works by helping the liver control its production and breakdown of cholesterol. Clinical studies show that policosanol is as effective as prescription drugs on how to loweri cholesterol naturally, without side effects.

For example, in a study of 53 diabetic patients, policosanol lowered total cholesterol by 14.2 percent, LDL (bad) cholesterol 20.4 percent and even raised the levels of HDL (good) cholesterol by 7.5 percent.

Gugulipid or guggul-lipid.

Guggulipid is an ancient herb from India. Over recent years many clinical trials have proven its efficacy on how to lower cholesterol naturally and also it is one of the few substances that can effectively lower triglycerides.

In fact, these trials have shown this herb to be more effective in lowering cholesterol than the modern statin drugs, but with no side effects. Statin drugs do not lower triglycerides.

Click her for policosanol and guggulipid supplement, two in one, and how to lower cholesterol naturally by at least 14 percent.

Fish Oil Supplements.

A lot has been said about the cholesterol lowering effects of omega 3 fatty acids and fish oil. However, is it really true that they lower cholesterol!? By clicking here you will find out the naked truth that reveals whether fish oil supplements prevent heart disease and lower cholesterol.

Garlic Cholesterol.

In a large study of 220 patients, the garlic group took 800 milligrams of a powdered garlic for four months. This group experienced a 12 percent drop in cholesterol and a 17 percent drop in triglycerides. The placebo group had little change.

Flax Seed and Cholesterol.

Flaxseed is a whole grain that can be found in health food stores and some supermarkets.

In one study by Bahram Arjmandi, Ph.D., of Oklahoma State University, supplements of ground flax seed were given to 38 women with extremely high cholesterol levels were given bread and muffins containing 38 g of either sunflower or flaxseed four times daily.

After six weeks, flaxseed result on how to lower cholesterol naturally was: total cholesterol was reduced by 6.9 percent and LDL (bad) cholesterol by 14.7 percent.

Red Yeast Rice.

Red yeast rice has profound effects to lower cholesterol naturally.

A double-blind, placebo-controlled study was published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. It demonstrates that "red yeast rice significantly reduces total cholesterol, LDL cholesterol and total triacylglycerol concentrations compared with placebo and provides a new, novel, food-based approach to lowering cholesterol in the general population."

The company that scientifically proved how to lower cholesterol naturally with red yeast rice is Pharmanex.

It discovered that red yeast rice contains a number of active compounds, including lovastatin, the ingredient in the hugely successful prescription drug Mevacor.

This helped to explain Mevacor's success on how to lower cholesterol, but it was also the start of a tale of woe and intrigue for the company, which put red yeast rice in pill form and named it Cholestin.

Instead of supporting a company that was spending money to standardize, sterilize and study its natural remedy, the FDA decided Cholestin was an "unapproved drug" on how to lower cholesterol and tried to ban it. Click here if you'd like to know more about the FDA ruling and how to lower cholesterol naturally with cholestin.

There you have 2 main ways on how to lower cholesterol naturally.

There's a third way on how to lower cholesterol, but that's not natural. It is through the use of statin drugs, which have adverse side effects on your health, such as muscle weakening or liver damage.

Supplements can lower cholesterol naturally without side effects and more or less with same results as drugs. The only difference if there's any, would be the time: it may take a bit longer to lower cholesterol naturally through supplements.

Cheers 2CB
  12. Hi I'm a Cardiac Nurse so thought would drop in on this one.....

Do you mind posting what your levels were?.....or PM me..

OK, so there is a lot of info out there these days about Cholesterol and it does get confusing.....

Some of your chums on here have given the correct advice but the main points for an overall healthy diet being:

Eat more wholemeal grains, bread, pasta - avoid the white crappy bread, cereals loaded with sugar, biscuits and lovely things like Croissants and pastries....now that's avoid - not never eat again....your life isn't over!!!

Avoid crisps and snacks...

Avoid margarines, any spreads not labelled 'High in polyunsaturates'.

Avoid whole milk, full fat yoghurt, cheese (most peoples' weakness!)

In fact the list does go on.....if you want to PM me your address, I can send you a sheet that I have which nicely shows you what you can eat lots of, eat 2-3 times a week, once a week and what to avoid....all the foods that you can eat lots of are to lower your LDLs (bad cholesterol) and increase yur HDLs (good cholesterol).

If anyone wants one of these sheets, PM your address and I'll send you one, got a whole pad load.....blimey your own 'private' NHS service!!! :lol:

13. :lol: Just had a thought, that you might not want to give me your address as you don't know me from adam, and I could be an axe wielding bunny boiling nutter... :twisted:

Well guys, can assure you I'm not! Am a respectable nurse (YES we do exist!) who has an interest in a) health of our forces (did a project during my training years ago on squaddies' diet) and b) am due to start a degree in sept to become a public health nurse....so am starting that role early :lol: :lol:

Up to you if you trust me not to come and stalk in your bed at night 8O ...I don't know if you can see this pic...

14. High cholesterol
    Published by BUPA's Health Information Team
    September 2003

Cholesterol is a type of fat (lipid) made by the body. It is essential for good health and is found in every cell in the body. However, a high cholesterol level in the blood (hypercholesterolaemia) is associated with an increased risk of various problems, such as coronary heart disease (CHD) and stroke.

Why is high cholesterol a problem?
    The main risk associated with high cholesterol is coronary heart disease (CHD). This is caused by blood vessels becoming narrowed with fatty deposits called plaques, which cholesterol contributes to. The narrowed blood vessels reduce blood flow to the heart. This can result in angina (chest pain) or, if the vessel is blocked completely, a heart attack. For more information see the BUPA factsheets on Angina and Heart attack.

High cholesterol can also increase the risk of other conditions, depending on which blood vessels are narrowed or blocked. These include stroke if the blood supply to part of the brain is reduced. For more information see the BUPA factsheet on Stroke. There is also a risk of peripheral vascular disease. This is caused by narrowed blood vessels in the limbs, particularly the legs. It may result in leg pain, ulcers, infections and eventually gangrene.

Types of cholesterol
    Cholesterol is transported around the body in the blood attached to a protein. This fat-protein combination is called a lipoprotein. Lipoproteins can be high density (HDL), low density (LDL) or very low density (VLDL), depending on how much protein there is in relation to fat.

LDL (low density lipoprotein)
    About 70% of cholesterol is transported as LDL. This is mostly fat and not much protein.

LDL causes cholesterol to be deposited in the arteries. High levels of LDL are associated with an increased risk of heart disease. LDL is sometimes referred to as "bad cholesterol".

HDL (high density lipoprotein)
    About 20% of cholesterol is transported as HDL, which is mostly protein and not much fat.

HDL actually helps prevent cholesterol building up in the arteries. Low levels of HDL are associated with an increased risk of heart disease. HDL is sometimes referred to as "good cholesterol". Women tend to have a higher HDL cholesterol level than men.

If the total cholesterol level is too high, this is one risk factor for health problems. However, it's important to consider the relative amounts of HDL and LDL. A high level of HDL and a low level of LDL is desirable.

Triglycerides are a different type of fat, which mostly come from fats in food. Calories that are eaten and not used immediately are converted into triglycerides and transported to fat cells for storage.

Although most triglycerides are stored in fat tissue, low levels are also found in the blood. They are carried in the blood as very low density lipoproteins (VLDL).

A raised level of blood triglycerides together with high LDL can increase the risk of heart disease.

What causes high cholesterol?
    There are several factors that may contribute to high blood cholesterol:

a diet that's high in saturated fat and, less so, high in cholesterol (see below)
    lack of exercise may increase LDL ("bad") cholesterol and decrease HDL ("good") cholesterol
    family history - people are at a higher risk of high cholesterol if they have a direct male relative aged under 55 or female relative aged under 65 affected by coronary heart disease
    being overweight, which may increase LDL ("bad") cholesterol and decrease HDL ("good") cholesterol
    age and sex - cholesterol generally rises slightly with increasing age, and men are more likely to be affected than women
    drinking alcohol excessively
    Rarely, high cholesterol can be caused by a condition that runs in the family called a lipid disorder (familial hypercholesterolaemia).

Other health conditions such as poorly controlled diabetes, certain kidney and liver diseases and an underactive thyroid gland may also cause cholesterol levels to rise. Some medicines such as beta-blockers, steroids or thiazides (a type of diuretic) may also affect blood lipid levels.

How diet affects blood cholesterol
    Only about 20% of cholesterol comes directly from the diet - the other 80% is produced by the liver. However, a diet high in saturated fats and cholesterol can cause the liver to produce more LDL ("bad") cholesterol. The amount that diet influences cholesterol levels varies from person to person and is probably an inherited characteristic. Some people who eat high-fat diets have high cholesterol levels; others may have normal or low cholesterol levels.

Measuring cholesterol
    Cholesterol is measured in units called millimoles per litre of blood, usually shortened to "mmol/litre" or "mmol/l". America uses the units milligrams per decilitre of blood: mg/dl instead. It is desirable to have a total cholesterol level under 5 mmol/l, and an LDL level under 3 mmol/l.

In order to estimate the risk of a person getting CHD, doctors look at the ratio between total cholesterol and HDL ("good" cholesterol), called the TC:HDL ratio. A lower ratio is desirable, indicating that the level of HDL is high.

Measuring cholesterol involves a simple blood test. A blood sample may be taken either by using a needle and a syringe, or by using a finger prick. This may be done at a GP's surgery, at a hospital appointment, or as part of a health assessment examination.

Home-testing kits for cholesterol are not recommended because they are not usually very reliable. Also, cholesterol is just one of the risk factors for heart disease. It should ideally be measured under medical supervision so that other important issues, such as blood pressure, age and whether or not you smoke, are taken into account.

Who should have a cholesterol test?
    Anyone who has any cardiovascular disease, such as coronary heart disease, peripheral vascular disease (disease in the blood vessels that supply the limbs) or stroke, should have their cholesterol measured by a doctor.

Anyone, even children, with a family history of familial hypercholesterolaemia should have their cholesterol measured.

Anyone aged 35 or over should consider having their cholesterol measured if they have one or more of the following risk factors: family history of early heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, smoking.

Having a high cholesterol level does not cause symptoms. Most people find out they have high cholesterol when they have their blood cholesterol measured as part of a medical check-up. Alternatively, it may be identified after other health problems have been diagnosed, such as heart disease.

The main aim of lowering cholesterol is to reduce the risk of heart disease. The type of treatment depends on the overall risk of heart disease.

There are two ways to treat high cholesterol. The first is with simple lifestyle changes including changing diet, managing weight, increasing exercise, and quitting smoking. The second is to combine lifestyle changes with cholesterol-lowering medicines.

Healthy eating can reduce cholesterol. Diet should be low in saturated fats in particular, and low in fat overall. Biscuits, cakes, pastries, red meat, hard cheese, butter and foods containing coconut or palm oil all tend to be high in saturated fats.

Large amounts of cholesterol are found in a few foods, including eggs and offal such as liver and kidneys. Although dietary cholesterol does not usually contribute much to blood cholesterol, it is still advisable to limit these foods to three servings a week if you have high cholesterol.

It's also important to eat plenty of fibre, especially soluble fibre, which is thought to lower cholesterol. It's found in fruits and vegetables, beans and oats. Aim to eat at least five portions of fruit and vegetables each day. For more information see the BUPA factsheet Healthy eating.

There is evidence that foods containing substances called plant sterols or plant stanols, such as the brand Benecol, in combination with a low fat diet, can help to lower cholesterol.

Cholesterol-lowering medicines are considered for people who already have CHD, or are at high risk of getting it because they have other risk factors.

The main group of medicines for lowering cholesterol are statins. Examples include simvastatin (Zocor) and atorvastatin (Lipitor). They work by reducing the production of cholesterol in the liver. Occasionally these drugs have side-effects such as indigestion and muscle pains. Other types of drugs to reduce cholesterol are called fibrates and nicotinic acids, but these are generally less effective or have more side-effects.

Reducing the risk of heart disease
    A healthy lifestyle - exercising on most days, eating a low fat diet, not smoking and drinking alcohol within the recommended limits - will help reduce the risk of coronary heart disease.

The British Heart Foundation
  15. Careful with the HDL.

There's evidence to suggest that the unsaturated fats can accumulate free radicals which can cause cancer and a variety of exciting neurological disorders as well as hoovering up a miriad of other nasty bits and keeping them circulating in your blood.

Frankly, it's probably best if you just eat brown bread, drink water and never step outside again.