High Blood Pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you allowed in the army with high higher blood pressure, considering it in no way affects you and you have never needed medication for such reason?

You will need the medication once you receive the answers on here.

No one needs high blood pressure. It will impact your internal organs which will impact your ability to do any job. Later, it will just kill you.

Consider getting the advice of a doctor but not medication.

Cut out beer, wine, indeed, all alcohol.
Cut out white bread
Cut out red meats
Reduce other meat consumption
Increase your exercise!
And, drink fresh beetroot juice (Certain Prof from Cambridge proved the link between the juice and reduced blood pressure).

(That was starters for ten).
Good luck!

Are you allowed in the army with high higher blood pressure, considering it in no way affects you and you have never needed medication for such reason?
Depends on how high (high higher?) and your age plus other things.
If you are under 30 and have a BP of 140/90 or more then it would be a bar to entry as that would be hypertension.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
No one needs high blood pressure. It will impact your internal organs which will impact your ability to do any job. Later, it will just kill you.

Cut out white bread
Cut out red meats
Increase your exercise!
And, drink fresh beetroot juice (Certain Prof from Cambridge proved the link between the juice and reduced blood pressure).

Good luck!
No pressure there then.

I always had higher than normal blood pressure and it never was an issue.

After 23 years service no one realised I only had one kidney which high blood pressure can be an indication of.

Poor little bugger is just hanging in there still...

Cut out white bread
Cut out red meats
Increase your exercise!

Good luck!
I found out about the beetroot link about 3 years ago, disgusting stuff, tastes like warm horse piss.

Of similar benefit is pomegranate juice, also disgusting but, at least it only tastes like watered down warm horse piss.

I drink pomegranate mixed in with blueberry juice, tastes like sweet, watered down, warm, horse piss.

If someone has told you officially you have high blood pressure you have a problem [FULLSTOP].

Change your diet, do exercise, if you smoke pack it in. If the Doc tells you to take pills he is not saying that for fun.

That said, getting some weight off and doing sensible exercise along with drinking some sweet, watered down, horse piss pomegrante juice will bring you down to a sensible level. Just don't put it off, start today.

Last edited:
I served in both the Regular Army and the TA with high blood pressure and a lack of tolerance. (Made me the well balanced person I am today, a chip on each shoulder). The former was not picked up until I had been in a few years and appeared to have not been acted on by the Medic's. (Noted on my medical file which I requested on discharge but appeared to have not been followed up after the diagnoses when serving, nothing new there then!!!! Perhaps 2 pain killers and a tube grip were not deemed suitable treatment).

My lack of tolerance was noted on my confidential reports and later on my F MED 4 when perhaps I overstepped the mark and the Toms reacted badly to my lack of tolerance & poor man management skills.

HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE (lack of tolerance) = BROKEN NOSE!!!!!

So the answer is a 'BIG FAT NO'.

You can join the ACF as a Adult Instructor providing you are just about breathing and can manage without an iron lung.

PS, On a serious note see your GP and have yourself wired up on the 24 hour blood pressure testing machine. This will record when your BP is raised and you can identify the triggers. If prescribed medication take it as directed. If recommended to stop smoking & drinking and advised to regularly do exercise, DO IT, as a stroke or heart attack can seriously spoil your day.

PPS, Indulging in 'bedroom activities' whilst wired up is detected on the BP machine and the Medic's have seen it all before when they check the readings. They award scores on the door's for your prowess and duration of activities!!!!! (Allegedly).

Drink 4 - 6 pints of water a day (better than horse piss!!). I had high blood pressure, was on pills for about 5 years then caught kidney cancer. Cue having one removed this past December (yeah, great Christmas!).

On reading the small print for the pills I was taking I noticed that "prolonged use may damage kidneys" - as I only had one bugger left, I spoke to my doc who told me to stop taking them, monitor my BP every 3 - 4 days and drink plenty of water. Daily regime is, as I said above, 4 - 6 pints a day. Last reading was 126/81 which was the lowest it's been for years. I'm no doc, but it's worth a try...

Start donating blood on a regular basis.

...and deffo before the next time you have your blood pressure taken.

Have you ever heard of the exprission ,"bust a vessel"?
Stokes : comes from high blood pressure mostly (not only)
If you are treated for hi BP, it will be a long term treat ment (bêta blockerrs (triatec cardinsial, for example ) and like any long term treatment, it will have effect on your kidneys and prostate (am not kidding here) Like has been said, drink water à lot (to flush the kidneys) and avoid all forms of excitations!...tea, coffee booze tobacco, ....loud noise and crowds, yup
When you wake up in the morning, your BP is usually low (you have been resting @ (the horizontal)
You can feel it coming on (if you know what to look for)
Lack of concentration is one
Disturbed / hazy vision
Breathing synchronisation
Best immédiate remedy is to stop any activity and lye down and prefarblly in the dark
Sun light / heat provokes
Takes years, if not for ever to get rid of High Blood preasure
Until then, eat healthy and drink sensibly. Do not lift heavy weights etc ...live like a monk

Last edited:
You need to find out the cause of the high blood pressure. It's not always due to ageing, diet or an unhealthy lifestyle. It can be a side effect of other, more serious problems.

I had perfectly stable, normal blood pressure till I was in my early fifties. Over a period of a few months I started getting nose bleeds and blinding headaches, so bad that they caused me to vomit.

My systolic bp was over 200 which placed me at risk of a stroke. Drugs made little difference.

After much prodding, probing, scanning and peeing into tubes (Fill that doc? From here?) the root cause was found to be malfunctioning adrenal glands. The headaches are gone but my kidneys are badly damaged.

Had I ignored my symptoms, or tried to treat myself with beetroot juice, I would probably be dead from a stroke by now. Failing that, I would be on kidney dialysis.

One doctor who saw me referred to high blood pressure as "the silent killer". It can cause damage without you realising, until your organs start to fail or blood vessels burst in your brain. The number of people who die of a stroke while sitting on the bog is shocking. You really don't want your nearest and dearest to be handed a death certificate with "straining at stool" listed as the cause of your demise.

In some ways I was lucky because my blood pressure was so extreme that it caused intolerable symptoms. You need to speak to your GP and take his advice, even if you don't think you are affected.

Get some exercise.
You are Simon Pegg, I claim my fiver - just cos you lost weight.

The bloke is in a new fillum and he was required to get weight off for the wasted look. He was beasted and did some 60km ultra runs. He dropped over 22lbs in 6 months - not like he was that beefy in the first place.

Go see your doctor, funnily he will know more about the subject than the ARRSE hive mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.