Higgs bosun is 'running out of places to hide'.

Discussion in 'The Science Forum' started by Sangreal, Jul 23, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sorry Mr Higgs,,,,it is all smoke and mirrors,they need to get everyone excited every now and then in order to justify the gigantic amount of other folks money they spend bolstering their own ego's..............

• Like Like x 1
  2. And what exactly are the application of the Higgs Boson? What's the betting as soon as they discover this we'll find out that it is in fact composed of seven different flavours of other particles which will require an even bigger accelerator to find? CERN is merely a scientist's circle **** of diminishing returns.

We should have ploughed all that dosh into something that might actually be of use to humanity, like Fusion Power or other such solution to energy security. Alternatively how about GM crops so we don't have to spunk cash at the Africans every ten years?

3. CERN is not a single experiment facility and neither is the LHC just used to identify the Higgs bosun.

4. I'm aware of that, but apart from 'simply for the joy of discovery' what practical applications does CERN have, how will it improve our lives?

5. The only reason these experiments are being carried out is simply to verify the idiotic theories that have been proposed over the years,,,,,Oh and it pays bloody good wages and carries alot of kudos.

6. In science the goal is not always for the 'practical' or tangible answers. The testing of theories (to prove or disprove) are just as credible and important.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Maybe but it is still very expensive,,,The scientists at Cern seem to think proving/diproving theories far more important than using their vast funding programe to help feed the starving children of East Africa......

8. Fine, but we're not talking about Newton tinkering away in his sh*d with a couple of prisms or Marie Curie cooking up some tasty radium in her cellar. This is heavily government funded science which, IMHO, should exist to benefit the nation not as a job-creation scheme for 90s pop stars. If people wish to test theories let them do so, just not with my cash!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Part of the point of fundamental research is that no one knows what might be found in the course of the investigations. Invariably, completely unexpected but useful information or discoveries emerge at some point, even if via serendipitous routes. As it is, part of the building of the new facility required the solving of many scientific and engineering problems that are already beginning to have real-world applications. Two that spring to mind are the manufacturing and control of very large industrial magnets and the design, realisation and testing of new electronic data transmission methods, evaluation algorithms and storage with direct application in web-based technologies.

One of the other side effects of the latest set of experiments is to train the next generation of the brightest physicists, electronics experts, programmers, engineers etc., and do so with access to the brightest of other nations with all information shared freely. If we are to maintain and grow an information- and technology-based economy the investment made is more than worthwhile and a tiny fraction of what it would be if we tried to do the same work in isolation. As it is, the cost to each UK taxpayer is, IIRC, less than £5 a year. Opinions will naturally differ, but that to me seems a very cost effective investment in UK’s industrial future.

Oh, and the last time CERN did something on this scale one of the side results involved the setting up of an electronic method of quickly sharing information and facilitating discussions in an easy a way as possible. They called it the World Wide Web. It’s ironic in the extreme to see people on a web site asking what the point is instead of actually carrying out a Google search to find out. :shock:

• Like Like x 7
  10. I shouldn't worry. As your name is spelt very slightly differently, they'll never spot you with that disguise... ;-)

11. Trans-sane

Trans-sane LE Book Reviewer

I was going to make that point you thunder stealing bastard! Probably the single most important inovation mankind has come up with since Scientific Method in the mid-late 1600s.

• Like Like x 1
  12. I'm not convinced that we wouldn't have the internet if it weren't for CERN. Computer networks existed before that and it was only a matter of time before somebody came along and created the internet. I don't question the need for research - I question where we focus that research at a time when money is tight. You could either go hunting in the dark for tiny particles which, when you find them, give you more questions that you started with or you can start with a focussed goal which will demonstrably benefit your nation or humanity. Hunting for particles is like continually zooming into a fractal image, hoping eventually you will find the smallest constituent. Pointless and an unproductive use of cash and expertise.

13. Pedantic head on, the www is only part of the internet. Granted it's the most widely accessed but it is quite the Johnny-come-lately as far as the internet developed.

Pedantic head off, and waiting for a betterererer pedant to come along.