Hidden KGB Weapons in UK

31alpha

Old-Salt
Reminds me of this old ROC bunker, me and my buddies came across the other week in Cambs..between villages of Harston and Newton. Think if the balloon this along with hundreds of bunkers dotted around the UK, would sample the air, report back..etc I am led to believe there are one each county parish.

CheersView attachment 428581View attachment 428582View attachment 428583View attachment 428584View attachment 428585
The thing to remember was that although they looked military(ish) ROC Posts like this were officially completely unarmed and staffed by RAF Civilians. Great store was set on their Non-Combatant Status, officially at least

"Under no circumstances should anyone mention Operation GLADIO". He said it, he said it!

Don't mention this, then:

Large arms caches were hidden in many countries for planned Soviet terrorist acts. They were booby-trapped with "Lightning" explosive devices.

One such cache, identified by KGB defector Vasili Mitrokhin, exploded when Swiss authorities fired upon it using a water cannon. The device was found in the woods near Belfaux. Although the explosion resulted in no casualties, the Swiss federal prosecutor at the time remarked, "Anyone who tried to move the KGB container uncovered in December of 1998 would have been killed."
Several others caches (probably not equipped with the "Lightnings") were removed successfully.
Good find !
It still seems rather daft. While the only things we know that were stashed involved radios, crypto ( and booby traps!) and not firearms it's still a diplomatic nasty.

I have noticed that someone keeps putting a car tyre over a lamp post (so that it falls down to the bottom of the lap post and cannot be removed - without cutting it) on a street near my house.

ETA: it's not the same car tyre, but it's the same lamp post. I've checked the tyres and each time they are different. So someone is some how throwing it over the street light and someone else is removing it. then a new (well ,used) tyre thrown over few days later.
I'm calling bullshit on this. You're saying that some idiot trying to secretly identify a safe house (or drug den) spends time repeatedly tossing a tyre approx 20' feet in the air at the same lamp post, until he gets it right, only for someone who knows the code to come along later, grab the tyre and shimmy up said lamp post to remove it? Bollix. Why not just use the Top secret 'tap, tap, nudge, nudge, wink, wink' method or maybe use chalk, or maybe use a 14" black dildo in the window, or something a bit less noticeable like every other (decent) spy does?

Apologies go out to real spies for releasing classified tips & tricks but in defense of the Nation I believe it was necessary.

Last edited:

The_Gremlin

Old-Salt
I'm calling bullshit on this. You're saying that some idiot trying to secretly identify a safe house (or drug den) spends time repeatedly tossing a tyre approx 20' feet in the air at the same lamp post, until he gets it right, only for someone who knows the code to come along later, grab the tyre and shimmy up said lamp post to remove it? Bollix. Why not just use the Top secret 'tap, tap, nudge, nudge, wink, wink' method or maybe use chalk, or maybe use a 14" black dildo in the window, or something a bit less noticeable like every other (decent) spy does?

Apologies go out to real spies for releasing classified tips & tricks but in defense of the Nation I believe it was necessary.
I don't know why they put the tyre there. I don't think it is anything to do with a safe house - but it reminded me of safe houses when I spotted it.
I suspect the tyre is being cut off.
I'm going to check now.

So the USSR master Plan for WW3 was to drop unarmed Spetz onto DZ's next to HVT's? and presumably those who survived now had to easter egg hunt for weapons?
No-one said it was a GOOD plan...

All joking about the OP aside - did the KGB, GRU, or other hostile intelligence agencies bring weapons and equipment into the UK, for use by Spetsnaz or other special forces? I remember reading the book Spetsnaz by a defector which mentions agents storing things for them, even down to food supplies and vehicles.

Even the Argentines were willing to take the war to us in 1982. They planned to use divers with limpet mines to attack British ships in Gibraltar harbour. It is fair to assume intelligence services are operating throughout the West.

My bold NCIS have already done an episode about this possibility in the USA.

I don't know why they put the tyre there. I don't think it is anything to do with a safe house - but it reminded me of safe houses when I spotted it.
I suspect the tyre is being cut off.
I'm going to check now.
Well, take a picture as well because somebody is taking the mick out of you!

It is my understanding that you may be able to find some unique caches of weapons at the following locations...

53.791866°N 1.532258°W
51.508545°N 0.076310°W
50.860691°N 1.138867°W

Should you wish to go digging, try to remain inconspicuous.
A few more

56°02'38.9"N 4°52'15.8"W
50°24'56.0"N 4°11'17.3"W
50°46'35.8"N 1°08'01.9"W
51°27'56.9"N 0°47'15.8"E

Yokel

LE

Unless you are covertly selling dildos to local women (and men?) in which case you should put a good spy novel in the window? The works of John Le Carre are recommended, as is To Lay Down With Lions by Ken Follet.

A student age girl wearing nothing but a bathrobe and peering out of the window should also arouse interest.

Last edited:
Also a central government PYTHON group was meant to go there and camp in the university halls. Boris finding that out would have been quite a cock-up.

Indeed.

Actually, slight drift but I have noticed that someone keeps putting a car tyre over a lamp post (so that it falls down to the bottom of the lap post and cannot be removed - without cutting it) on a street near my house.

I've heard this is something to do with drugs these days (but in the past it could be a sign of a safe house).

ETA: it's not the same car tyre, but it's the same lamp post. I've checked the tyres and each time they are different. So someone is some how throwing it over the street light and someone else is removing it. then a new (well ,used) tyre thrown over few days later.

It sounds like quoits but a lot harder.

Slime

LE
Never mind the weapons, what about all those Spetznaz operatives inserted into British society all those years go as part of the plan to infiltrate and paralyse the country when the Cold War turned hot?

Some of them are probably sitting in old folks homes now, their stories of daring do and being Russian 'them' told in affected regional British being put down to dementia.

There was a BBC one off in the early 90's as I recall with Nigel Havers and Michael Elphick (I think) playing KGB/Spetznaz types with covers of Nigel being the playboy toff (obvs) and Elphick down to earth working class type (obvs) who wondered what to do and how to come to terms with their lot now the Cold War was over.
As previously mentioned, it was called sleepers. I re watched it earlier this year.
Still good and with good humour so worth re watching.

The_Gremlin

Old-Salt
Location probably not as bizarre as it first seems.

If I remember rightly, in the event of WW3 MI5 was to relocate to a small town a few miles North of Aberystwyth.
It is possible that the pesky Russians knew that location and were prepared to observe it.
As most of the top MI5/6 were passing info to the KGB, yes they probably did know.

Why go to the bother of smuggling all these weapons in, hiding them, planting sleepers, organizing sabotage ops etc, when you can inflict significantly more damage simply by promoting the Labour Party?

The_Gremlin

Old-Salt
Why go to the bother of smuggling all these weapons in, hiding them, planting sleepers, organizing sabotage ops etc, when you can inflict significantly more damage simply by promoting the Labour Party?
The Soviets did attempt to infiltrate the Labour Party and the unions etc.

Latest Threads