Hidden KGB Weapons in UK

The_Gremlin

Old-Salt
Some time ago I read online that the KGB had been hiding weapons in the UK (and other parts of Western Europe) during the Cold War.
The weapons caches were apparently booby-trapped with IEDs, so the Official Advice was not to go poking around.

Now I see so many people with metal detectors, it reminded me of these stories. But I haven't heard anything for a long time.

Apparently the weapons were intended for use in the event of the Cold War turning 'hot'. They were either for Spetznaz paratroopers to jump into the UK and locate. Or for KGB 'sleeper' cells (ie people living in the UK as civis) to go and collect once instructed to do so (via numbers station messages presumably).

The weapons were hidden not far from designated Key Points (eg bridges, TV masts etc) that the Spetznaz had designated to seize early on during any war. Essentially they were pre-located supplies. These KPs were to be guarded by the UK TA / HSF.

Is this just an urban legend / nonsense?

@KGB_resident - do you know anything about this?

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Fuck me, 2 conspiraloon threads in one day!

The_Gremlin

Old-Salt
Mitrokhin Archive. Reported in the Times and The Telegraph 2014.
But not heard anything since.

Not conspiraloon, but maybe a defector making stuff up? Wouldn't be unusual.

BopBopBop

Old-Salt
Some time ago I read online that the KGB had been hiding weapons in the UK (and other parts of Western Europe) during the Cold War.
The weapons caches were apparently booby-trapped with IEDs, so the Official Advice was not to go poking around.

Now I see so many people with metal detectors, it reminded me of these stories. But I haven't heard anything for a long time.

Apparently the weapons were intended for use in the event of the Cold War turning 'hot'. They were either for Spetznaz paratroopers to jump into the UK and locate. Or for KGB 'sleeper' cells (ie people living in the UK as civis) to go and collect once instructed to do so (via numbers station messages presumably).

The weapons were hidden not far from designated Key Points (eg bridges, TV masts etc) that the Spetznaz had designated to seize early on during any war. Essentially they were pre-located supplies. These KPs were to be guarded by the UK TA / HSF.

Think that story was put about to catch someone who was causing great harm.

The_Gremlin

Old-Salt
The articles say they 'doubt' whether the weapons would still be serviceable today.
But I'm pretty sure an AK47 buried in airtight plastic etc would still be fine today.

The_Gremlin

Old-Salt

The_Gremlin

Old-Salt
You are failing your tradecraft lessons.
Indeed.

Actually, slight drift but I have noticed that someone keeps putting a car tyre over a lamp post (so that it falls down to the bottom of the lap post and cannot be removed - without cutting it) on a street near my house.

I've heard this is something to do with drugs these days (but in the past it could be a sign of a safe house).

ETA: it's not the same car tyre, but it's the same lamp post. I've checked the tyres and each time they are different. So someone is some how throwing it over the street light and someone else is removing it. then a new (well ,used) tyre thrown over few days later.

For someone who just joined a matter of hours ago, kinda strange you knew to tag one of the resident trolls in your post, so who’s sock are you?

The articles say they 'doubt' whether the weapons would still be serviceable today.
But I'm pretty sure an AK47 buried in airtight plastic etc would still be fine today.
Get out with your metal detector and if you find one test it by fitting its bayonet, loading a mag, charge the action and pull the trigger while vigorously head butting the bayonet.
Trust me it's in the AK manual of arms no need to google it.

ACAB

LE

Welcome to the new Bagl0ck / Brexit Pride sock.

Yokel

LE
All joking about the OP aside - did the KGB, GRU, or other hostile intelligence agencies bring weapons and equipment into the UK, for use by Spetsnaz or other special forces? I remember reading the book Spetsnaz by a defector which mentions agents storing things for them, even down to food supplies and vehicles.

Even the Argentines were willing to take the war to us in 1982. They planned to use divers with limpet mines to attack British ships in Gibraltar harbour. It is fair to assume intelligence services are operating throughout the West.

It depends very much on how they are stored. If they are greased up and wrapped well then they should last for a very, very, long time. Plenty of Lee Enfields in the wrapper that still look and shoot as if they were made yesterday. If the ammo is packed in those tins that go pffft when you pull the tab to open one that should be pretty good too.

Shame on you all for your scepticism

The tyres are obviously a Winthrop-esque marker.
Given the transport system development since the cold war caching period, the location marked will like be under the closest manhole cover in the centre of the road.
Check the cache for any ticking booby traps by putting your ear to the manhole cover
Best to do this at night and in clothing that will blend in with the surroundings.
Watch out for robin reliants...

Attachments

It is my understanding that you may be able to find some unique caches of weapons at the following locations...

53.791866°N 1.532258°W
51.508545°N 0.076310°W
50.860691°N 1.138867°W

Should you wish to go digging, try to remain inconspicuous.

It is my understanding that you may be able to find some unique caches of weapons at the following locations...

53.791866°N 1.532258°W
51.508545°N 0.076310°W
50.860691°N 1.138867°W

Should you wish to go digging, try to remain inconspicuous.
And avoid the Laundry...

Latest Threads