Hidden files on phone micro SD card

Spacehopper383

War Hero
I'm after a bit off advice. I have a Samsung A70 with 128 GB of internal memory. To stop filling this memory with rubbish, I save things like photos and podcasts on to a 128GB micro SD card. At the moment I am having problems with my podcast player and have decided to transfer all of the podcast mp3s across to a usb stick (via my computer) to plug into the car radio and listen to when I am driving.
Now, here is the issue, when connected to the computer my phone comes up and has two memory locations one the internal and the second the SD card, at this point the memory size is shown on windows file explorer. The phone has 80GB free from 110GB useable and the card has 15.4 GB free from 119GB useable. When I open up the SD card, it lists all of the folders and if I select them all and then select properties the pop up box tells me that there is only 37GB of files. I have the show hidden files box ticked but I can't see the missing 66GB.
If I use the phones file explorer, I can only see the same folders as when I view it through the laptop.

Any thoughts on how to find them.

Nothing has turned up on google apart from ads for sites that want to sell me things.

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
Is it using part of the card as a RAM disc?

If you are low on RAM in windows you can designate part of a USB or SD card as RAM.

Spacehopper383

War Hero
The phone comes with 6Gb of ram, which should run everything on its own. I only use the phone to take photos, access my bank account, look at emails, listen to music both stored and online and podcasts.

I'm after a bit off advice. I have a Samsung A70 with 128 GB of internal memory. To stop filling this memory with rubbish, I save things like photos and podcasts on to a 128GB micro SD card. At the moment I am having problems with my podcast player and have decided to transfer all of the podcast mp3s across to a usb stick (via my computer) to plug into the car radio and listen to when I am driving.
Now, here is the issue, when connected to the computer my phone comes up and has two memory locations one the internal and the second the SD card, at this point the memory size is shown on windows file explorer. The phone has 80GB free from 110GB useable and the card has 15.4 GB free from 119GB useable. When I open up the SD card, it lists all of the folders and if I select them all and then select properties the pop up box tells me that there is only 37GB of files. I have the show hidden files box ticked but I can't see the missing 66GB.
If I use the phones file explorer, I can only see the same folders as when I view it through the laptop.

Any thoughts on how to find them.

Nothing has turned up on google apart from ads for sites that want to sell me things.

Two thoughts:

1. Having many thousands of small files can use up space so there is a discrepancy in the total size of files and the actual space used.

2. There have been cases of (cheap) counterfeit SD cards where the actual available capacity is much lower than the size it is sold as.

Other than that, you could try copying all the files off the SD card, reformatting it and copying the files back to see if that helps.

anglo

LE
Look at this

Screenshot 2021-09-25 at 20-02-48 [Solved] USB Pen drive Not Showing Files - EaseUS.png

Deleting files also leaves a copy that takes up space, unless you hit the permanent delete button.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Some of the files will be encrypted by default, as you are viewing on another device, you will not see the encrypted files. Try using X-plore File Manager on your phone. X-plore for Android - APK Download
Probably also available on Play Store, if you use it.

ETA forgot to say, Android default file manager will not show you system files or folders, some apps save data in those to prevent you doing exactly what you're intent on doing.

Latest Threads