Hibernating Laptop

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by Dennis48, Feb 17, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My son has a Dell laptop running Vista which has gone into Hibernation mode, have tried the old trick of removing the battery leaving the laptop for ten minutes then starting up again still asleep. Don't want to reformat the bloody thing because he has all his schoolwork on it. Any ideas how to get arounf this problem??
    Thanks

2. Put it under a heatlamp, and leave a lettuce leaf next to it.

This worked for my tortoise, but admittedly it wasn't running Vista.... my tortoise is quicker.

3. Hibernation mode is not on Vista, I am reading the help file now. I am going to cut and paste whats on the screen, maybe it will help:

In earlier versions of Windows, standby saves your work to memory and puts your computer into a power-saving state. Hibernate also puts your computer into a power-saving state but saves your work to your hard disk so that you can safely turn off your computer.

In this version of Windows, sleep saves your work to memory, and then puts your computer into a power-saving state. Hybrid sleep, a combination of sleep and hibernate, saves your work to both memory and your hard disk, and then puts your computer into a power-saving state. Hybrid sleep is turned off by default on mobile PCs. For more information about hibernate and hybrid sleep, see Turn off a computer: frequently asked questions.

Note
    Hybrid sleep and hibernate might become unavailable after you run Disk Cleanup. For information about how to re-enable hybrid sleep and hibernate, go to the hybrid sleep and hibernation article on the Microsoft website.

Sleep offers the following advantages over shutting down your computer:

All of your work, including information about the programs that you were using, such as window location and size, is automatically saved to memory.

When your computer wakes, Windows restores your previous work session within seconds. You don't need to restart your computer and then reopen the files that you were working on.

To put your computer into a sleep state, click the Start button , and then click the Power button . To wake your computer, press the hardware power button.

Jim