HIA assessment in Rugby union

I'm watching the Quins v Saints game and a Saints player is off for a HIA.

Can someone clarify something. The impression that I got was that there was an independent medical type viewing the game who has brought to the referees attention that the Saints player had taken a knock to the head and appeared unsteady on his feet. Is this correct or have I got it wrong.

If it is the case then I can only commend it, medical decision taken out of the referees hands by an independent medical person. Player safety first and foremost.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
I'm watching the Quins v Saints game and a Saints player is off for a HIA.

Can someone clarify something. The impression that I got was that there was an independent medical type viewing the game who has brought to the referees attention that the Saints player had taken a knock to the head and appeared unsteady on his feet. Is this correct or have I got it wrong.

If it is the case then I can only commend it, medical decision taken out of the referees hands by an independent medical person. Player safety first and foremost.
The RFU recently came up with a new list of rules regarding player safety, as they are paid employees then it comes under the Health and Safety at work act
so I presume a doctor on hand would give advice and be listened to, their have been many cases of mild concussion leading to problems, although I think the players and professional generally are well aware of the problems and look out for the lads

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Various folk can call for a HIA but it appears decision lies with the independent doctor

"When there is a suspected incident of head impact by a player or players, this should be identified by match officials on the field, team doctors or independent match-day doctors who have access to video replays. If the independent match-day doctor decides an incident may have occurred, the player(s) involved must be removed, either permanently or for further assessment."

Latest Threads