Hi-tech military boots, good, or sh1t?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by TA_GUY, Jan 21, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I dont know if this should be here so please move it if you think it should be mods.

A friend of mine works in a outdoors retailer and told me that hi-tech used to supply combat boots to the sas or something, he said he can get me some for about 80 pounds or so, is it worth igetting some, i wouldnt do it till after my training, are they any good, or are they as good as the hi-tech issue trainers... :p

Thanks

2. Bollocks do they supply boots to them, adidas do though. The Hi-Tec boots are shite, I would stay clear mate, waste of money. It is worth paying that bit extra for a good pair of boots: Altberg, Lowa, meindle, Hanwag etc.

3. Maybe the clue is USED to supply although I doubt it and you could be falling for the waltbay sell PARA/SAS/COMMANDO/RAF REGT sales tag.

Wait until after your training if you must, they're alright for in camp but not out in the khuds. IMOO

4. I guess your talking about the magnums? They are total fcuking shite mate stay well away, if you are willing to invest £80 go abit further and get the rolls royce of MK1 leather personal carrier - Lowa Combats. As a matter of fact stay well away from anything Hi-Tec their kit - "we provide some of the best outdoor equipment for outdoor enthusiasts" is just good enough for OAP's who go for their monthly 4 mile country walk.

5. Wear Magnum Elite for Police duties (get them issued) and find them fine for what I do i.e. in and out of car, stood getting wet and cold at the roadside and occasional bit of mud and crap but I wouldnt wear them for military use except for in camp, and then I wouldnt pay the £70 or whatever they cost just for that. Would just wear issued for in camp and pay the extra for Altberg, Lowa, meindle, Hanwag etc. for field use if I was still in.

6. I've got a pair of the Addidas ones - and have been amazing! comfy and waterproof - easy to walk in; they suit me ! although I have heard they fall apart - but any boots do if you do not look after them!

7. I would highly recommend Trezetta's (think thats how its spelt) They lasted a p Coy and the hills all the way through with no problem.

The only issue I have with Lowas is their weight. Whereas the Trezetta's are fairly light, offer good support and gortex cost around £100.

Can be brought from most forces kit suppliers near camps. I know Bulford has them.

8. I have to disagree with the 'Hi-tec are shit' comments.

I bought a pair following an ankle injury last year as I simply couldn't wear issue boots. I got a pair from Ebay, the magnums with the air pocket in the heel (Nike air style) and they are comfy as fook. Fair does, I probably wouldn't wear them in thingh deep mud, but for everyday barrack use they are more than adequate, and for £30 they are a bargain. Put it this way, they certainly helped out with the torn ligaments!

9. I knew magnums where sh1t, didnt know hi-tech were magnums

cheers guys

10. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Mate, save your money. The issue boots are actually really quite good and besides you'll be expected to wear issue only kit throughout your recruit training so you might as well work on breaking in your issued Combat Highs.

I'm not saying that boots aren't something to invest in later on down the line, but don't go spunking your shekels away. For what it's worth, I've been in for 5 years and am going on my 2nd Operational tour and have never felt the need to buy a pair of fancy boots.

Insoles on the other hand! A pair of decent insoles really are worthy purchasing from Millets/Blacks as the issue ones aren't really up to much.

11. And magnums are just scruffy perce

12. Brashers, about a fiver made from sorbathane , great bits of kit. 10% discount with MOD90! even better.

13. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I had a pair of issue hot weather magnums - I think the commercial name is the Amazon. Very comfortable when 1st on, but they gave me very bad blisters on the back of my heels, both sides. I couldn't wear boots or shoes for about 6 weeks.

There is a ridge of a seem running down the middle of the back of the heel. It does not appear to affect many people but it crippled me - I've tried the desert Amazons on as well and I could feel the same thing. Its a pity because otherwise I think they are probably quite a good boot. One of the few that is actually quite wide and doesn't squeeze my toes...

Oh and if your mate can get you a pair for £80 he is not your mate.

14. And has been said, you cant wear anything other than issue boot during SUT(recruit training) anyhow. The CABs are good boots, once broken in and laced properly, you'd be surprised how many we get that haven't got them done up properly still