'Hi, I'm your local energy adviser' calls

I've been getting a few of these (done through a bulk autodialler, because there is usually a delay when you answer).

The guy speaking at the other end will rarely have the bud-bud, ding-ding accent of the usual Indian scammer. I don't listen to the spiel after 'energy adviser', in any case.

Are they cold-caller salesmen or are they scammers?

Rab_C

LE
I've been getting a few of these (done through a bulk autodialler, because there is usually a delay when you answer).

The guy speaking at the other end will rarely have the bud-bud, ding-ding accent of the usual Indian scammer. I don't listen to the spiel after 'energy adviser', in any case.

Yes to both, London Bridge salesmen.

Scorcher68

War Hero

Bit of both I think.

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
Excellent opportunity to wind up one of our Indian call centre pests.

You could try:

I'm a bit deaf you know ...
I'm 87 and my son / daughter usually deals with my bills...
I'm an axe murderer [accompanied by screams] ...
Etc

Hours of fun can be had.

My reply is always " This place is owned by the local auth...." and they cut off .
It isn't , I hasten to add .

964ST

LE
Next time they ring, answer hysterically that you are being attacked by a Werewolf and you need immediate assistance! Then hang up!
Pointless, but sometimes its the small things in life :)

I did a variety depending on my particular mood ranging from:

What are you wearing right now...underneath....( heavy breathing etc)
To:

Did you enjoy your holiday in Turkey?

(What?)

"Your tour of Istanbul / Delhi/ brothels looking for your whore Mum?"

Or I just hang up.....depends.
Hardly get any these days.

A good friend of mine was plagued by cold callers. He got a call from a number he didn't recognise. He answered it with 'You're live on air. What do you want to ask the doctor about genital warts?'

They phoned back a few minutes later. It was the Queen's Flight calling about a recce for a royal visit he was running.
They saw the funny side fortunately.

I did a variety depending on my particular mood ranging from:

What are you wearing right now...underneath....( heavy breathing etc)
To:

Did you enjoy your holiday in Turkey?

(What?)

"Your tour of Istanbul / Delhi/ brothels looking for your whore Mum?"

Or I just hang up.....depends.
Hardly get any these days.

I'll not get any for a while and then there seems to be a bit of a flourish of them.

Time wasting is something that quite upsets them, but ultimately you're wasting your own time as well as theirs.

I'll not get any for a while and then there seems to be a bit of flourish of them.

Time wasting is something that quite upsets them, but ultimately you're wasting your own time as well as theirs.
I actually had Virgin change my number a few years back because of them.
I ended up with what you could call a "cherished" number...the way the digits go....and went withheld & XD but somehow...it got leaked.
Now, we hardly use the landline...to which I am referring...so I just yanked the wire out a Xmas.
As for the mobile it's rare but I can tell if it's a midlands or London code it's going to be scam so I just delete it and add it to the block list.
I need to be very careful with local codes as it is often some bod at the cardiac unit wanting me.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
"Hi, I'm Chris, your local energy advisor"-" Well this is the Child Abuse Helpline, how can I help?" brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I had one recently, I found myself saying

"Hi, you've called the fraud helpline, can I help you?"

pause

<dial tone>

mrdude

On ROPS
On ROPs

There's only one way to deal with these people - ask them what colour of pants or knickers they are wearing, tell them you're knocking one out and ask them to speak "sexy" to you as you only have a few minutes until the wife comes back from the shops.

There's only one way to deal with these people - ask them what colour of pants or knickers they are wearing, tell them you're knocking one out and ask them to speak "sexy" to you as you only have a few minutes until the wife comes back from the shops.

That's fine till the mother in law phones you, unless you're into that kind of thing

I'm guessing you are aware of the TPS scheme but if not, it does lapse after a while too
Also, not that well known is that TPS only applies to sales calls. So some scammers get round this by doing a perfunctory "survey" then trying to sell you loft insulation / smart meter / snake oil / etc

Also, not that well known is that TPS only applies to sales calls. So some scammers get round this by doing a perfunctory "survey" then trying to sell you loft insulation / smart meter / snake oil / etc
I used to rate TPS but I've given up. I have been known to waste their time, but I'm fed up of that. Hello I'm your whatever it is.

No you're not you're just a filthy dirty lying scammer. Listen for him to hang up first.

Latest Threads