HGV Mechanic positions

Discussion in 'REME' started by ArmySurplusSpecial, Nov 20, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I had a call from a guy on Friday who is looking for HGV mechanics for positions around the country. I beleive it is for work in ABRO locations working on military kit. He found my details from a job website by browsing CV's.

I am currently in full time work so was not interested really but it sounds ok, he gave a figure of £15 per hour for a 40 hour week. I'm guessing this would mainly suit ex REME VM's or RE Fitters.

If anyone is interested, PM me and i'll happily pass on details.

regards,

ASS

2. If this is an ABRO job this is a potential in into MOD civil service, and therefore does not restrict you to spanner spinning, trust me I’m an ex VM

3. 15 quid an hour for 40 hours a week = £31200. A civil service fitter doesn't earn 2/3's that.
    This must one of those short term contract things because the MOD has screwed up again.
    The old " slash money from this budget and spend ten times the amount in that budget" kind of thing..

4. I had an interesting conversation about this with a colleague last week. The bottom line is that the combination of Iraq, Afghanistan and the increased requirements for training, has ruined all the long-term projections for eqpt usage. The stuff is wearing out at a much faster rate than planned and the Out of Service Dates for several battlewinning equipments are moving rapidly to the left. The Base repair lines that ABRO used to run were shut down in the late 90s because no-one was ever going to Base repair an eqpt ever again.

This might be the sign that ABRO is about to become a Base Repair organisation again!

Helicopters and the ATF have similar problems. The twist is that Gordon has refused to fund replacements because the eqpt would have been used anyway!

Defence Procurement is a strange world!

Litotes

5. i believe your right! its through an agency hence the higher hourly rate. i guess there maybe continuation for the right calibre of chap if they get taken on by ABRO but not sure, if they do it certainly wouldnt be £15 ph but there would be other perks i imagine. i was purely passing on the details for anyone who might have been interested.