HFH and the RBL

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by emptyeye, Jun 9, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Fellow Arrsers
    I took some cadets to a recent D-Day event, organised by the RBL, they asked for help and I’m always happy to oblige, and it was a fine day for all.

During the day, I spotted a guy, with tin collecting for HFH, and although he only had his driving licence as ID, I had the gut feeling that you know the fella was ex something, def not a civvie on a scam, so I thought, Oh, I have a some spare cadets on their break, I’ll go ask him if he wanted a hand to collect for HFH

As I was about to approach this guy, an RBL member (no names no pack drill) said to me that the HFH shouldn’t be there as it was a RBL event (it was outside in a public place not enclosed) and it would be frowned on to have cadets who were there to help out the RBL being seen to be helping a 'rival'. I’m not there to rock the boat so, in the end I didn’t send any over to help.

He went on to say, that the RBL and HFH charity are really not getting along nationally and try to avoid each other at every case as they are seen to be ‘competition is that officially true? Has the RBL’s nose been put out of joint? I appreciate that there is only enough money to go around, but it seemed a bit sinister to me.
    Any truth in that from either an HFH or RBL Arrser, I’m sure if it is true, I won’t get a ‘official’ answer
    In any case, the guy got sort of f***ed at the high port by some RBL staff and I never saw him again during the day. And as it happens, some joe civvies asked me if I had seen any one collecting for HFH, I told then what I saw, but I did say that any RBL collection is also going towards ex servicemen, particularity in the work they do in the pensions and support area, so it’s all doing sterling stuff in the long run.
    Not having a pop at HFH or RBL (I support them both), but It did sort of spoilt it for me and the cadets who wanted to help both.
    Views?

2. HFH have put a lot of noses out of joint due to being victims of their own sucess.

There were a number of difficult phone calls last year tackled by those working to raise money for Combat Stress when looking for sponsors for the drinks party held just before Christmas. The general jist of the conversations with businesses was that they were fed up with being asked for money by the juggernaut that is HFH and that no money would be forthcoming as sponsorship.

I understand that HFH are aware of the attitudes and did make a very large donation to Combat Stress which was fantastic but due to the difficulties in one charity giving to another, I don't know how much money from HFH could go to ABF or RBL etc.

3. Couple of things to clear up here.

H4H are bloody good at fund raising, they have captured a public mood and are getting money from places the ABF and RBL haven't either tried or haven't been able to really make work.
    H4H looks to supplement what is already being done, not compete.

It is of course disappointing that emptyeye and gentle soul have met individuals within charities who seem to have decided to "own" elements of charitable work and give an impression of a competition/rivalry.
    It is important that those involved in charity work feel they are doing something important, but not at the cost of the bigger military charity picture (to help past, present & future servicemen, injured or otherwise).

When Bryn Parry had the idea for H4H he talked both to the ABF and to CGS at about the same time. The swimming pool for HC was asked for specifically and was the primary aim. The ABF by its charter doesn't get involved in capital projects (i.e construction) but gave "seed" money to help at the start.

The decision by the MOD to assist in the financial support of the HC swimming pool and the unexpected size of public response has lead H4H to widen its fundraising and to look for other projects to support.

H4H knows that there are incredibly effective service charities out there and is keen and eager for business cases from them to support, hence the £3.5 mil grant to Combat Stress, support to Battle back, donation to the Poppy appeal (through the X Factor Christmas Single).

The Pathfinder rehabilitation centres are H4H's next main project and hopefully funds will continue to come in for the seven centres planned and also to cover requests for financial assitance (maybe even some future RBL and ABF projects that H4H money can widen in scope).

Look here at the CEOs report for the 5 critical decisions that were made when it first started up and how it has progressed.
    1. No political and non critical
    2. Funds would target specific project, not replace benevolent funds
    3. Internet would be the preferred means of communications
    4. Jeremy and Francie Clarkson asked to be founder patrons
    5. Costs to be kept to a minimum and as light as possible.

4. Couple of things to clear up here.

H4H are bloody good at fund raising, they have captured a public mood and are getting money from places the ABF and RBL haven't either tried or haven't been able to really make work.
    H4H looks to supplement what is already being done, not compete.

It is of course disappointing that emptyeye and gentle soul have met individuals within charities who seem to have decided to "own" elements of charitable work and give an impression of a competition/rivalry.
    It is important that those involved in charity work feel they are doing something important, but not at the cost of the bigger military charity picture (to help past, present & future servicemen, injured or otherwise).

When Bryn Parry had the idea for H4H he talked both to the ABF and to CGS at about the same time. The swimming pool for HC was asked for specifically and was the primary aim. The ABF by its charter doesn't get involved in capital projects (i.e construction) but gave "seed" money to help at the start.

The decision by the MOD to assist in the financial support of the HC swimming pool and the unexpected size of public response has lead H4H to widen its fundraising and to look for other projects to support.

H4H knows that there are incredibly effective service charities out there and is keen and eager for business cases from them to support, hence the £3.5 mil grant to Combat Stress, support to Battle back, donation to the Poppy appeal (through the X Factor Christmas Single).

The Pathfinder rehabilitation centres are H4H's next main project and hopefully funds will continue to come in for the seven centres planned and also to cover requests for financial assitance (maybe even some future RBL and ABF projects that H4H money can widen in scope).

Look here at the CEOs report for the 5 critical decisions that were made when it first started up and how it has progressed.
    1. No political and non critical
    2. Funds would target specific project, not replace benevolent funds
    3. Internet would be the preferred means of communications
    4. Jeremy and Francie Clarkson asked to be founder patrons
    5. Costs to be kept to a minimum and as light as possible.