• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Hezbollah wins PR coup.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Someone, either in Hezbollah or their foreign paymasters has been using the inside of his shemagh-rack:

http://newsbox.msn.co.uk/article.as...ortlive&ks=0&mc=5&ml=ma&lc=en&ae=windows-1252

Alistair Lyon said:
BEIRUT (Reuters) - Hizbollah handed out bundles of cash on Friday to people whose homes were wrecked by Israeli bombing, consolidating the Iranian-backed group's support among Lebanon's Shi'ites and embarrassing the Beirut government.

"This is a very, very reasonable amount. It is not small," said Ayman Jaber, 27, holding a wad he had just picked up from Hizbollah of $12,000 (6,377 pounds) in banknotes wrapped in tissue.

Israeli and U.S. officials have voiced concern that Hizbollah will entrench its popularity by moving fast -- with Iranian money -- to help people whose homes were destroyed or damaged in the 34-day conflict with Israel.

Hizbollah has not said where the funds are coming from to compensate people from an estimated 15,000 destroyed homes. The scheme appears likely to cost at least $150 million. The Lebanese government has yet to launch anything similar.

Its reconstruction chief said Israeli bombardment had inflicted a "disastrous" $3.6 billion worth of physical damage on Lebanon from which it could take years to recover.

Al-Fadl Shalaq, head of the Council for Development and Reconstruction, said the damage from the five-week conflict was comparable with that caused by Lebanon's 1975-1990 civil war.

"I have witnessed all the wars in Lebanon but I have never seen a war this fierce and I do not see a response to clearing the rubble of war to match it," he told Reuters in an interview.

Trying to bolster a five-day-old truce, Lebanese troops moved deeper into the south and about 600 deployed in Shebaa, near the Israeli-occupied Shebaa Farms enclave, a key source of tension between Israel and Hizbollah before the recent war.

GUERRILLA HAVEN

The Lebanese army has had no presence in the area since an Arab decision allowed Palestinian guerrillas to operate there.

Israel's 1982 invasion expelled the Palestinians and Hizbollah took over the "Fatah-land" region after the Israeli military ended a 22-year occupation of the south in 2000.

On Thursday, the Lebanese army began deploying a force that will eventually number 15,000 soldiers south of the Litani River, about 20 km (13 miles) from the border with Israel.

The same day France dealt a blow to hopes of building a strong UN force to back the army as Israeli troops withdraw.

The United Nations said it had received substantial troop offers, but was disappointed that France only planned to send 200 additional soldiers to a force it had been expected to lead.

Italy's government approved sending troops and the defence minister said his country might eventually lead the mission. Officials have said Italy might contribute up to 3,000 troops.

France's reticence to contribute more troops follows disastrous peacekeeping missions in the past. It lost 58 paratroopers to a Shi'ite suicide bomb attack in Beirut in 1983 and some 84 soldiers in Bosnia in the early 1990s.

French Defence Minister Michele Alliot-Marie recalled "the experience of painful operations where UN forces did not have a sufficiently precise mission or the means to react".

Hizbollah fighters have melted away as the Lebanese army arrives, but they have not left the south or given up the rocket launchers they used to bombard Israel during the conflict.

Malloch Brown said Hizbollah's disarmament required an agreement between the group and the Lebanese government.

International and Lebanese government aid efforts risk being overshadowed by Hizbollah's swift action on reconstruction.

Hizbollah said it had so far given the one-time cash payment to 120 families whose homes in the southern suburbs of Beirut were destroyed in Israeli air strikes. The money is to help families rent and furnish alternative accommodation.

Hizbollah chief Sayyed Hassan Nasrallah promised the compensation in his first speech after the truce took hold, and has said Lebanon will be rebuilt "better than before".

Hizbollah has an extensive social welfare network as well as 14 members in the 128-seat parliament and two cabinet ministers.

At least 1,181 people in Lebanon and 157 Israelis were killed in the conflict that erupted after Hizbollah captured two Israeli soldiers in a cross-border raid on July 12.

In the occupied West Bank, Israeli soldiers killed two Palestinian militants near Bethlehem after a nearly two-hour standoff, Palestinian security sources and witnesses said.

(Additional reporting by Beirut, Jerusalem, Paris, Rome and UN bureaux)
Any guesses as to where the dosh is coming from ?

Mother of God, that is brilliant.

Especially allied to ;

Hizbollah chief Sayyed Hassan Nasrallah promised the compensation in his first speech after the truce took hold, and has said Lebanon will be rebuilt "better than before".
So appeal to Arab nationalism and pride and show you've got the wherewithal to do it.

Makes me wonder who actually whacked that gentleman last year.

Only one place that money is coming from Cuts........

Cutaway said:
Any guesses as to where the dosh is coming from ?
Hizbollah handed out bundles of cash on Friday to people whose homes were wrecked by Israeli bombing, consolidating the Iranian-backed group's support among Lebanon's Shi'ites and embarrassing the Beirut government.
Oooooooooooooh do I win a prize?! :D

Serious mode; this is an incredibly cheap way for them to gain support and is a worrying development.

The Lebanese don't realise that they will be expected to reciprocate when it's time to rebuild Teheran in a couple of months time.

Only the first part of the charm offensive. Now watch Hizbollah urge total and sincere co-operation with the UN.

OP. DENY ISRAEL II swings into effect......

PartTimePongo said:
Only the first part of the charm offensive. Now watch Hizbollah urge total and sincere co-operation with the UN.

OP. DENY ISRAEL II swings into effect......
Do I detect a note of triumph?

No, you detect a note of "My god, it's brilliant" as the whole shooting match unfolded in front of my eyes.

The Persians are the Dons , no doubt about it. It's aikido and chess rolled into one.

Cunning, clever b*stards.

Rather Israel lost PR struggle. Bombings of Beirut and Christian areas were senseless from military point of view. If you bomb multi-storey residential building then you undermine you positions in propaganda war.

http://www.mosnews.com/news/2006/08/18/mediawar.shtml

Leading Russian television networks have sided with the Lebanese in the latest breakout of hostilities between Israel and Hezbollah militants, a recent survey has revealed, according to the Vedomosti daily.

A survey commissioned by Vedomosti and carried out by the Medialogiya think-tank has shown that only a handful of news reports covering the alarming developments in the Middle East could be regarded as well-disposed towards Israel.

Meanwhile, the Russian television reporters almost fully abstained from using the word “terror” when speaking of Hezbollah. The Russian channels actively aired statements by Hezbollah leaders who appeared on the screen 253 times whereas Israel’s leaders were given floor only 36 times in the past weeks.
It should be said that usally Russian TV is rather pro-Israel. But in this case Israelis apparently hadn't good arguments to promote their position.

PartTimePongo said:
No, you detect a note of "My god, it's brilliant" as the whole shooting match unfolded in front of my eyes.

The Persians are the Dons , no doubt about it.
You don't like the Israelis then?

The Persians are the Dons , no doubt about it.
Which could, in time, with a degree of proof be the crux of the entire matter, no?

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Must admit that when I saw it I was gobsmacked, then thought "Bloody good skills !"

I don't like what they stand for nor their methods, but this was the best move they have ever done, although I'm sure it's all completely altruistic - if they do get an increase in support for their cause it'll be purely coincidental.

As to the place it came from PTP - well, all the dollars had 'US' printed on them... :wink:

Anyway NORAID has to find something to do with all the dosh it doesn't send across the water.

Awol, I am in disgusted admiration of the cunning group of unholy bastiges in Tehran. It's not about disliking Israel at all. As I mentioned in my since edited post, it's Aikido.

I now think this whole thing started with the death of Hariri , hence my question as to who really whacked him.

The whole premise of the argument or conspiracy theory I'm still formulating , is who really benefitted from his death, and I'm still looking at the timeline and events.

Now watch Hizbollah urge total and sincere co-operation with the UN.
and as if by magic.......

Hezbollah official savors victory

BEIRUT, Lebanon, Aug. 18 (UPI) -- A senior Hezbollah official claims his group won a victory in the fighting with Israel in southern Lebanon that will "rock the Zionist entity."

Sheik Heder Nor al-Din, a political bureau member, promised in an interview there would be no more clashes between the Lebanese army and Hezbollah in southern Lebanon.

He spoke of a "coordination between us and every political and social movements in the south area," especially the army, eliminating "any kind of clash."
His comments were published in the Nazareth-based al-Sinara newspaper, ynet-news said.

Al-Din spoke of a Hezbollah victory over Israeli forces despite the damage done in Lebanon. He said it was a victory in which the enemy was denied his goals.

"It was not a normal victory," he said, "but a victory that will rock the Zionist entity, where a military investigation committee has already been set up."

KGB_resident said:
Rather Israel lost PR struggle.
Israel has appeared weak throughout this debacle. Not only did they fail in their perceived military objectives, but they lost the hearts-and-minds battle too, which is what we're now seeing being exploited by Tehran. Israel managed to maintain the moral high-ground, as seen by the UN's pronouncements, but I'd be interested in hearing some of the behind-closed-doors discussions taking place in the homes of the Israeli power-brokers.

And the funniest bit is... it's our petrol dollars that Iran is using in this, as PTP says, brillinatly timed move.

Their failing was (debateably) in attempting to emulate current US doctrine.
Inflicting casualties on the enemy forces while minimising those to civilians, by use of high tech doohickeys. While using minimal boots/tracks on ground in an attempt to limit friendly cas.

Doesn't work.

The belief that it can is dangerous in itself.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
DozyBint said:
KGB_resident said:
Rather Israel lost PR struggle.
Israel has appeared weak throughout this debacle. Not only did they fail in their perceived military objectives, but they lost the hearts-and-minds battle too, which is what we're now seeing being exploited by Tehran. Israel managed to maintain the moral high-ground, as seen by the UN's pronouncements, but I'd be interested in hearing some of the behind-closed-doors discussions taking place in the homes of the Israeli power-brokers.
I don't mean this in a Septic baiting manner, but as they have been supplied with high tech US eqpt at 'wholesale rates,' is it possible they've tried the 'Shock & Awe' tactics in a very ill-conceived way ?

An eye for a eye seems to be a norm of war in the ME, (coupled with the oft-quoted Pathan proverb,) and it will take a complete about face of this attitude (and culture ?) on both sides before any uneasy peace stands a snowflake's of holding.

Edit: You type faster than I, Biscuits_Brown !

Meanwhile........

http://www.irna.ir/en/news/view/line-24/0608010760011859.htm

Iranian, Lebanese FMs review developments in meeting

Visiting Iranian Minister of Foreign Affairs Manouchehr Mottaki in a meeting with his Lebanese counterpart Fauzi Sallokh here on Monday reviewed the latest developments in the course of Zionist regime's all-out war against Lebanon.

Mottaki after the meeting condemned the land, sea, and air attacks of the occupying regime of Holy Qods against Lebanese civilians, asking for an immediate end to those criminal acts.

He also condemned the massacre of a large number of defenseless women and children in Qana and expressed sympathy with the Lebanese people, government, and national-Islamic resistance on the matter.

Mottaki emphasized that Iran's spiritual and political support for the Lebanese nation and government would continue as strongly as ever before, and asked the international community, as well as the major world countries not to remain silent towards the developments in Lebanon and the Israeli attacks.

The Lebanese Foreign Minister, too, after the meeting appreciated the selfless contributions of the Islamic Republic of Iran to his country and asked for an immediate end to Israeli attacks after announcing an unconditional cease fire.

Salloukh stressed, "Lebanon would no get engaged in any political negotiation prior to the establishment of a cease fire."
He once again repeated Lebanon's demand from the UN Security Council to condemn the brutal Qana massacre, to identify its full details, and to punish its Zionist creators.

Over 60 Lebanese civilians, mostly women and very young children, were martyred in the course of heavy Israeli bombardments of Qana on Sunday evening.

The Iranian Foreign Minister arrived in Lebanon through that country's northern land border with Syria and is scheduled to meet with the Lebanese President Emile Lahoud, Prime Minister Foad Signore and Parliament Speaker Nabih Berri.

Mottaki on Monday evening also met and conferred with the visiting French Foreign Minister Filippe Doust Blazy
2329/1771
Can anyone else see what I'm driving at here, or should I just get some more bacofoil?

So Iran is spending all that money to ensure that Israel's neighbours suddenly don't like them anymore?

Isn't that a bit pointless? Have the Lebanese and the Israelis been sharing tea and cakes for the past twenty years and I've somehow missed it? And that's even without the events of the past six weeks.

A PR exercise is all this is, with Reuters being invited to follow a couple of blokes around for an afternoon. I'd love to see evidence that they are really putting that much money up for grabs.

No Awol,

Go back further, go back beyond the current unpleasantness, and go back to the assasination of Hariri.

Then work your way forward. This money thing is simply a phase. I think the whole thing,since Hariri and possibly before, is about moving Iran's offensive/retaliatory capability 2000 km closer to Israel.

*edittid for spulunk.