hezbollah want ceasefire

#1
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/4787179.stm

for the benefit of those without access to BBC

Hezbollah's leader has said his group will abide by a ceasefire plan agreed at the UN to end fighting with Israel.
However, Sheikh Hassan Nasrallah said on TV that Hezbollah would continue fighting as long as Israeli soldiers remained in Lebanon.

Lebanon has now also approved the UN resolution, which calls for a "full cessation of hostilities".

Israel has backed the plan too but has extended an offensive in south Lebanon, tripling its ground troops there.

Some Israeli troops have reached the key target of the Litani River, the army says.

Seven Israeli soldiers were killed and more than 70 wounded in the fighting on Saturday.

Israel also confirmed a helicopter had been shot down in southern Lebanon, causing some casualties. It is the first such loss to hostile fire in the conflict.

Israel's Cabinet will discuss the UN resolution on Sunday and Israel says it will only halt military action after taking a vote.

'War not ended'

On Hezbollah's al-Manar TV channel on Saturday, Sheikh Nasrallah said the UN resolution was "unfair" in holding his group responsible for the fighting.


The Security Council emphasises the need for an end of violence, but at the same time emphasises the need to address urgently the causes that have given rise to the current crisis

UN resolution text


Text of resolution
Ceasefire: next steps
UN vote backs truce
Mid East crisis: Key maps

But he added: "We will not be an obstacle to any decision taken by the Lebanese government."

And referring to Israel's insistence it has the right to continue military operations in Lebanon in self-defence, Sheikh Nasrallah said: "As long as there is Israeli aggression, it is our right to fight them and defend our land."

He added: "The war has not ended. There have been continued strikes and continued casualties. Today nothing has changed and it appears tomorrow nothing will change."

Sheikh Nasrallah said Hezbollah would co-operate with the deployment of UN and Lebanese troops in the south.

The BBC's Nick Childs in Beirut says this appears a very conditional acceptance, aimed at maintaining Lebanese political unity.

After the Lebanese cabinet meeting that approved the UN resolution, Prime Minister Fouad Siniora said the approval was "a unanimous decision, with some reservations".

Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert is also asking his Cabinet to endorse the resolution, describing it as positive and acceptable.


The Israeli troops in Lebanon are now estimated at about 30,000

More than 1,000 Lebanese and more than 120 Israelis have been killed in the conflict since Hezbollah militants captured two Israeli soldiers on 12 July in a cross-border raid.

Israel's army chief, Lt Gen Dan Halutz, said on Saturday Israeli troops would remain in Lebanon until the arrival of a UN peacekeeping force - expected to be 15,000-strong.

Gen Halutz did not give a figure for the new number of Israeli troops currently in Lebanon, but Israeli sources put it at about 30,000.

Israeli radio on Saturday quoted the head of the northern command, Maj-Gen Udi Adam, as saying "some of the forces have reached the line of the Litani" - up to 30km (18 miles) from the Israeli border.

In the helicopter incident, Hezbollah said it had shot down the aircraft with a new Waad missile over the southern Lebanese village of Yater. The number of casualties is not known.

In other military developments:



Several sources confirmed heavy clashes between Israeli troops and Hezbollah fighters at the village of Ghandouriyeh, 11km inside Lebanon

Israeli jets also raided the city of Sidon - north of the Litani - destroying facilities at a power station

According to Lebanese security sources, up to 15 people were killed in an Israeli air strike on the village of Rshaf in south Lebanon

Israel said it had killed more than 40 Hezbollah fighters in the past 24 hours

Hezbollah fired more rockets into northern Israel, but Israeli sources said the number was fewer than in recent days.

The UN special envoy to the Middle East, Alvaro de Soto, said he expected Israel to wind down its operations in the next couple of days. No timetable has been agreed on the truce.

HAVE YOUR SAY
The UN needs to be firm but fair in its handling of the emerging situation

Peter Hewitt, Borehamwood, UK


Send us your views

UN Security Council resolution 1701 says Hezbollah must end attacks on Israel while Israel must end "offensive military operations" in Lebanese territory.

On Saturday, US President George W Bush praised the UN move, adding: "I now urge the international community to turn words into action and make every effort to bring lasting peace to the region."

Mr Bush also added more condemnation of Hezbollah, saying it shared the same "totalitarian ideology" as those arrested in a suspected plot to blow up US-bound jets from Britain.
 
#7
no

why does the fact hezbollah has almost completly reversed bother you so much?

to be honest im just glad this might mean no more loss of life, but i cant help but laugh at the hypocracy of radical terrorist groups who preach killing and hate, then when faced with it themselves tend to be a bit more diplomatic

this conflict has harmed both isreal and hezbollah, both have bloody noses, but hezbollah have only just agreed to this resolution,they had no problem carrying on the violence when they thought it was in thier best interest, hence the phrase hezbollah want ceasefire
 
#8
mark1234 said:
no

why does the fact hezbollah has almost completly reversed bother you so much?
Are you a mamal?

Couldn't care less about Hezbollah, what bothered me, well actually interested me was your spinning of the story.
 
#10
Hezbollah are now sh1tting themselves because it's gone further than they can cope with.
 
#13
All they need to do is survive. As it stands the gains they have made, in terms of political support, money, and influence far outweigh the costs they have incurred. They will be perceived as the people who repelled the Israelis once and fought them to a standstill another time- not an inconsiderable feat in view of their numbers and resources compared to one of the most highly militarized societies in the West.

I honestly don't know which way the Israelis will go. If they really are starting to get bogged down without achieving the sort of results they are looking for then the UN resolution and the ceasefire will give them a way out without losing face. The unknown quantity to my mind is the Israeli public who are still largely very supportive of the military action and how much trouble the hardliners can stir up. The big problem with whipping up nationalist sentiment in times of crisis is that it creates expectations and becomes difficult to control. They were promised the destruction of Hizbullah- they might become quite insistent on getting that. To borrow a phrase I've heard once or twice, they might not want to "cut and run".

If this is the end, I think it will signify a major setback in T.W.A.T. . to a small extent I shall agree with the rightwingers here in that this will, in the short term at least, embolden the various nasties that are arrayed against the US, UK, etc. There is no other way really to portray this than as a tactical victory for terrorists.

However, we (the UK/US) really painted ourselves into a corner. It would have been hard to protest against Israel's actions when the example of our own handiwork in Iraq was only a few hundred miles away, but IMHO, we should have had a stab at it. Our month of inaction (or indeed support of Israel) only served to reinforce the negative image of the West in the eyes of many in the Islamic world. We had the opportunity to change the way we were being framed in that part of the world and we blew it. As I have said before, if this is ever going to end, it is not enough for us to be, or more accurately see ourselves as, the good guys- we have to be seen by THEM as the good guys.

Hopefully, (but I doubt it) the US will ride Israel's ass like Zorro to abide by UNSCR 1701. They do have the ability. US aid makes up 3% of the Israel's GDP. Not many govts would be happy to see their economy shrink by 3% overnight, especially at a time when they've just spent a ton of cash and supplies invading the next door neighbour's garden and smashing up their garden shed.
 
#14
"Do you have a tail? "

no

I'm as dyslexic as anyone but if we were in the naafi and i was slinging insults your way i would at least make a point of spelling them correctly. But as we're in current affairs I won't.

Futhermore i don't see how my percieved "spinning" of the story is anything other than factually correct, as I said "Hezbollah want ceasefire" I didn't say isreal did not also want a ceasefire, but my point of mentioning hezbollah was because it's a complete turnaround for them.
 
#15
Hezabollah are disenfranchised - has nobody realised this?

What do they want - where is their country - where is their mandate?
 
#16
crabtastic said:
All they need to do is survive. As it stands the gains they have made, in terms of political support, money, and influence far outweigh the costs they have incurred. They will be perceived as the people who repelled the Israelis once and fought them to a standstill another time- not an inconsiderable feat in view of their numbers and resources compared to one of the most highly militarized societies in the West.

I honestly don't know which way the Israelis will go. If they really are starting to get bogged down without achieving the sort of results they are looking for then the UN resolution and the ceasefire will give them a way out without losing face. The unknown quantity to my mind is the Israeli public who are still largely very supportive of the military action and how much trouble the hardliners can stir up. The big problem with whipping up nationalist sentiment in times of crisis is that it creates expectations and becomes difficult to control. They were promised the destruction of Hizbullah- they might become quite insistent on getting that. To borrow a phrase I've heard once or twice, they might not want to "cut and run".

If this is the end, I think it will signify a major setback in T.W.A.T. . to a small extent I shall agree with the rightwingers here in that this will, in the short term at least, embolden the various nasties that are arrayed against the US, UK, etc. There is no other way really to portray this than as a tactical victory for terrorists.

However, we (the UK/US) really painted ourselves into a corner. It would have been hard to protest against Israel's actions when the example of our own handiwork in Iraq was only a few hundred miles away, but IMHO, we should have had a stab at it. Our month of inaction (or indeed support of Israel) only served to reinforce the negative image of the West in the eyes of many in the Islamic world. We had the opportunity to change the way we were being framed in that part of the world and we blew it. As I have said before, if this is ever going to end, it is not enough for us to be, or more accurately see ourselves as, the good guys- we have to be seen by THEM as the good guys.

Hopefully, (but I doubt it) the US will ride Israel's ass like Zorro to abide by UNSCR 1701. They do have the ability. US aid makes up 3% of the Israel's GDP. Not many govts would be happy to see their economy shrink by 3% overnight, especially at a time when they've just spent a ton of cash and supplies invading the next door neighbour's garden and smashing up their garden shed.
I agree with most of what you've said, we certainly blew our chance to prove to the muslim world that we were not "zionist conspiracist" as they seem to believe

even a token gesture would have done the trick in much of the world.
 
#17
Would an acceptance of 'Zionist Conspiracy' stop the Hezbollah, an unelected unmandated organisation, from firing rockets into Israel?
 
#18
Google "Hudna" for some more insight on what Hezbollah are doing.
 
#19
mark1234 said:
no

I'm as dyslexic as anyone but if we were in the naafi and i was slinging insults your way i would at least make a point of spelling them correctly. But as we're in current affairs I won't.

Futhermore i don't see how my percieved "spinning" of the story is anything other than factually correct, as I said "Hezbollah want ceasefire" I didn't say isreal did not also want a ceasefire, but my point of mentioning hezbollah was because it's a complete turnaround for them.
Oh well, I will not be winning any spelling bees anytime soon then.
You were spinning in your original post, a ceasefire for Hezbollah is not a climb down for them, it is actually a success as it shows that the Israelis (who in the early stages showed no interest what so ever in one) have not achieved their aims. Hezbollah have not been destroyed and in terms of the Lebanese situation are probably the strongest party in Lebanon now.
PS: I am actually dyslexic.
 
#20
GDav said:
Would an acceptance of 'Zionist Conspiracy' stop the Hezbollah, an unelected unmandated organisation, from firing rockets into Israel?
Most certainly not, but it might have made it more difficult for al quida to recruit members.

Its a very complicated war with no clear right answers, how do you fight murdering scum when large parts of the globe(including Great Britain) support or at least sympathise with murdering scum. There is only so much 5.56 in the world
 

Similar threads


Latest Threads

Top