Hezbollah rearmed, entrenched to a higher standard and ready

HEZBOLLAH, has built a network of underground military bunkers under the feet of United Nations peacekeeping forces in southern Lebanon close to Israel’s border.

It has rebuilt its fighting capability and Israeli intelligence now estimates that it has stockpiled 20,000 rockets.

“Hezbollah will never leave southern Lebanon,” said Shaul Mofaz, the former defence minister, last week. “It’s now armed with rockets that could hit central and even southern Israel.”

Hezbollah, which was forced to move away from the border as part of last August’s ceasefire deal, has returned by stealth. “Since the Israeli forces left, Hezbollah has been building formidable military underground posts under the noses of the UN,” said an Israeli intelligence officer.

Before last summer’s war in Lebanon Hezbollah had more than 20 positions along the border. All were destroyed by the Israelis, who also killed several hundred fighters.

Soon after the ceasefire agreement Hezbollah began to rebuild its positions in Shi’ite villages close to the Israeli border.

“The entrance to an underground post is usually in the backgarden of a Hezbollah supporter,” said one source. “The householder receives compensation for the use of his garden.”

Modern equipment is used to sink the shafts, sometimes as deep as 70ft. Some bunkers are as wide as a football field, others can hold fewer than 10 fighters.

They are equipped with sophisticated communications equipment and many are believed to be connected by tunnels, limiting Israel’s ability to destroy them from the air.

Since last August huge quantities of arms, including Russian-made antitank missiles, short- and long-range rockets, small arms, mines and ammunition have been smuggled into Lebanon from Syria and Iran.

Israeli military intelligence sources say there is particular concern over long-range Fatah-110 rockets that have been supplied to Hezbollah.

This rocket, with a 125-mile range and a 500lb warhead, is an improved version of a Chinese assault rocket, said Uzi Rubin, an Israeli missile expert. These rockets could reach Tel Aviv if hostilities resume.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/article1910154.ece

afghanman said:
Makes you wonder what UNIFIL have been doing since last summer!
Probably trying hard to avoid upsetting either side... (for understandable reasons) but this news is very worrying.

Makes you wonder how people can swallow this bollox. Where did this story orginate?

Oh yes

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3410638,00.html

Why has this come up now?

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3409687,00.html

Who is Shaul Mofaz?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaul_Mofaz

Why is it I can't find any references to these modified guided Chinese assault rockets capable of flinging a 500lb warhead, anywhere but sites originiating in Israel , or sites with a strong Israeli bias?

Why is it there are no (*as far as I can find) references or technical specs for the "fatah 110" rocket available from a reputable source?

More investigative journalism from "Uzi Mahnaimi Zarit" or "Uzi Mahnaimi" for short.

Death from the skies A PALESTINIAN terrorist group is feared to be planning suicide attacks using powered hang-gliders to destabilise Israel in the run-up to next month's elections.

Israeli sources claimed last week that an extremist group run by Ahmed Jibril, a Sandhurst-educated Palestinian, had completed training with hang-gliders under the supervision of Iranian experts.

Glider pilots from Jibril's group, the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine - General Command, may now try to use their craft to cross the border from Lebanon, flying so low they would be undetectable by Israeli radar, the sources said. They are believed to include 10 suicide commandos

Israel is Developing 'Ethnic Bomb' - Biological Weapon

Israel is working on an "ethnically targeted" biological weapon that would kill or harm Arabs but not Jews, according to Israeli military and western intelligence sources cited in a front-page report in the London Sunday Times, November 15, 1998 ("Israel Planning 'Ethnic' Bomb as Saddam Caves In," by Uzi Mahnaimi and Marie Colvin).

In developing this "ethno-bomb," the British paper went on, Israeli scientists are trying to exploit medical advances by identifying distinctive genes carried by some Arabs, and then create a genetically modified bacterium or virus. The goal is to use the ability of viruses and certain bacteria to alter the DNA inside the host's living cells. The scientists are trying to engineer deadly microorganisms that attack only those bearing the distinctive genes.
I notice I'm not the only one that thinks this journalist writes bollox.

http://pajamasmedia.com/2007/01/israeli_military_leaks_iran_pl.php

PartTimePongo said:
Makes you wonder how people can swallow this bollox. Where did this story orginate?

Oh yes

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3410638,00.html

Why has this come up now?

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3409687,00.html

Why is it I can't find any references to these modified guided Chinese assault rockets capable of flinging a 500lb warhead, anywhere but sites originiating in Israel , or sites with a strong Israeli bias?

Why is it there are no (*as far as I can find) references or technical specs for the "fatah 110" rocket available from a reputable source?

More investigative journalism from "Uzi Mahnaimi Zarit" or "Uzi Mahnaimi" for short.

Death from the skies A PALESTINIAN terrorist group is feared to be planning suicide attacks using powered hang-gliders to destabilise Israel in the run-up to next month's elections.

Israeli sources claimed last week that an extremist group run by Ahmed Jibril, a Sandhurst-educated Palestinian, had completed training with hang-gliders under the supervision of Iranian experts.

Glider pilots from Jibril's group, the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine - General Command, may now try to use their craft to cross the border from Lebanon, flying so low they would be undetectable by Israeli radar, the sources said. They are believed to include 10 suicide commandos

Israel is Developing 'Ethnic Bomb' - Biological Weapon

Israel is working on an "ethnically targeted" biological weapon that would kill or harm Arabs but not Jews, according to Israeli military and western intelligence sources cited in a front-page report in the London Sunday Times, November 15, 1998 ("Israel Planning 'Ethnic' Bomb as Saddam Caves In," by Uzi Mahnaimi and Marie Colvin).

In developing this "ethno-bomb," the British paper went on, Israeli scientists are trying to exploit medical advances by identifying distinctive genes carried by some Arabs, and then create a genetically modified bacterium or virus. The goal is to use the ability of viruses and certain bacteria to alter the DNA inside the host's living cells. The scientists are trying to engineer deadly microorganisms that attack only those bearing the distinctive genes.
I notice I'm not the only one that thinks this journalist writes bollox.

http://pajamasmedia.com/2007/01/israeli_military_leaks_iran_pl.php
So you think anythink that Israel reports is b*llocks ?
must be lies you can't find a reference

I'm getting to that stage , yes.

Why is it virtually impossible to find a neutral source to verify these claims?

PartTimePongo said:

I seem to recall the old SA regime did a great deal of research on this, perhaps their Scientists found a safe berth rather than explain their day jobs to Mandela?

I don't think Israel would ever get involved in this kind of research. It really has some very nasty historical overtones.

I really can't see Israel doing this.

I think your wrong on that PTP Israel is locked into 'survival at all costs' mode and have been since its creation. Like ourselves I am sure that they have research programs ' for defence'.

I take that point A_J , but the concept is monstrous , and ethically in the same arena as various works conducted by Mengele.

For that reason, I really can't see Israel doing this.

armchair_jihad said:
PartTimePongo said:

I seem to recall the old SA regime did a great deal of research on this, perhaps their Scientists found a safe berth rather than explain their day jobs to Mandela?
It would have to be bloody clever since Judasim is a religion not an ethnicity. The Jewish nation has a massive range of ethnic groups ranging from arabic, caucasian, negroid (there was a large group of Ethiopian Jews). To my knowledge there are no organisms that ONLY attack one racial group, though it is possible for a group to be at greater risk from some diseases (blacks and sickle-cell anemia is one example IIRC)

MikeMcc said:
It would have to be bloody clever since Judasim is a religion not an ethnicity. The Jewish nation has a massive range of ethnic groups ranging from arabic, caucasian, negroid (there was a large group of Ethiopian Jews). To my knowledge there are no organisms that ONLY attack one racial group, though it is possible for a group to be at greater risk from some diseases (blacks and sickle-cell anemia is one example IIRC)
I bet you twenty quid its based on the absence of developed tolerance to alcohol.

Drink or Die!

kinda catchy

I find that report entirely plausible.

HA's defenses served them well last year. It would be very strange if they did not rebuild and extend them. They've managed to do that secretly with the IAF watching and there must be massive Iranian funded reconstruction going on in the flattened border villages as cover.

HA know the IDF will likely be back in greater strength. It's not just about payback for last years defeat. HA missiles are a threat to civil life and the IDF must demonstrate that they can silence them. They'll try to ethnically cleanse the entire Shi'a population back North of the Litani and it will take more than HA's village reservists to stop them.

HA fighters are very good at what they do but Id put my money on the IDF this time.

armchair_jihad said:
MikeMcc said:
I bet you twenty quid its based on the absence of developed tolerance to alcohol.

Drink or Die!

kinda catchy
Israelis aren't exactly known as hard drinkers.

Like it or not the overwhelming evidence is that Hezbollah are a force to be watched and watched carefully.

Although they now participate in the Lebanese government they are a constant thorn, and their so called 'Divine Victory' against the Israelis last summer was a hollow victory to most peace loving Lebanese who saw the summer tourist economy wrecked.

The notion that Israel were planning the summer 2006 attack is debatable, but like most sovereign states they retaliated (unsuccessfully as it transpired) after months of harrasing rocket fire from Hizbollah.

The UN force in Lebanon which now stands at 13,000 + was sent in to monitor and, if necessary, assist the Lebanese army with maintaining its borders and monitoring the activities (and stop the resupply) of the armed element of Hizbollah. If they are failing to do so effectively the problem will only ferment and more regional conflict can be expected.

PTP - gliders are not far fetched, the Pals used them (successfully) in an attack in Nov (?) 1987 in northern Israel, which caught a REMF base off guard.

The DNA track has been mentioned, Israelis are not hardened drinkers!! lol
If Israel was creating a Semitic bio weapon this would be even more difficult as Jews & arabs are biblically related. Mikemcc is probably more on the mark, we consider ourselves more of a religion grouping then an ethnic group (contrary to stereotypes).

As for the UNIFIL, IMHO they are the best of a bad choice of solutions only.

“Hezbollah will never leave southern Lebanon,” said Shaul Mofaz
Given that the majority of members of Hezbollah are from southern lebanon where are they supposed to go? Northern Israel?

Also all that the talk about the IDF destroying the infrastructure of Hezbollah was baloney if this report is to believed.

On a related note don't know if anyone one has read it but the Washington Institute released a report on the tactics that Hezbollah used and the lessons that can be learnt from the war and it can be downloaded from here