Hezbollah cracked the code

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by msr, Sep 19, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

2. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Now where did the word cypher come from again????

(edit: In the upcoming hollywood movie about Operation Samson the crackers are played by Americans [no submarine tho']. Lebanese Americans albeit :twisted: )

3. Well, what a thoughtful and balanced story!

Not "which might have been" or "perhaps" or whatever? Which leaves readers with the distinct impression that Iran was definitely involved in the affair!

How impartial! But trust the Israelis to get their oar in first!!!

MsG

4. Well who else is going to back HZ? No other country is as competent in the Middle East as the Iranians. Certainly not the Saudis-they're all a bunch of idle barstewards.

5. And? I prefer not to write off an entire country with sweeping generalisations. But even if they were, they're still rolling in more than enough filthy lucre to simply hire some outside experts to do the job for them.

6. Without sounding like a broken record.

When I see the combination of subjective journalist, anonymous source and an article discrediting the subject of the article I get a little suspicious. When the supposed source is a high ranking officer (or former) whose apparent comment confirms to his enemy that a strategy hurt his side and special forces who speak to journalists at all my cynicism function goes into overdrive. And when the article doesn't give any balance by asking the (in this case) Israeli authorities for comment then I start thinking disinformation or propaganda.

In my view this article is well dodgy

7. I agree.The article is pretty dodgy.Its no secret the Jews run the best propaganda machine in the world.If you ever watched FoxNews you would know what I mean.

When the war started,Hizzbollah was characterized as a bunch of listless thugs who would be wiped out in days.When things started going south,they suddenly became this hitech modern fighting machine and suddenly Israel was fighting for it's very existence.

Since it's creation Israel was never and probably will never be the underdog.If you set your expectations low enough there is a good chance you might surpass them.

8. Cracked secure comms?

Or battlefield improvisation with Nokia and 8 channel PMR's and a dismissive arrogance regarding the standard of Hezbollah ELINT ?

9. PTP

Are the Israeli troops so unprofessional though??? It was my impression that they were not - although my views are based on actions before 2000. And I really do have a problem believing articles written by Lebanese muslims whose subject is denigrating the other side

10. I was under the impression that a lot of the equipment used in the middle east by several fundie jundie groups is originally russian in origin? maybe they are better at cracking the codes than they are given credit for!

Maybe they got so good by deciphering the da vinci code; im sure they'd love to put a religious emphasis on this, the freaks. :roll:

11. All part of the plan for world domination!!

Back on topic, the equipment used by many arab organistaions/states surrounding Israel is top class. Hezb had a sophisticated network in S.Lebanon for surveillance / comms and such like.
    As an aside, use of cellular phones by troops (through bad discipline) may have also assisted in the sigint / elint war. Once the hostilities broke out up north there was much better (self) discipline on the use of cellular phones by the soldiers, etc.

12. One of the problems with secure comms is, paradoxically, that they are so secret. Hence it is very difficult for the user to properly test them and try to break them as any attempts are met by cries of "You can't do that !". The enemy are not so constrained.

Another one is the huge time to market for mil spec kit. which means that they innards are completely out of date. Hence the opposition can buy - for a lot less - civvy COTS computing gear which completely outclasses in-service radios to try and crack any encryption.

Another thing to realise is that Israel would have been using this kit way, way before they invaded. Given the tiny size of the place this means that Hizb'Allah would have been listening to them for a long time working on the encryption. Indeed, I would not be surprised to learn that other players with an interest in cracking the US SINCGARS radio the Israelis use had supplied equipment and expertise to Hizb'Allah in return for details of what worked and what did not.

Add to this the possibility of poor code discipline - the longer you use one the easier it is to crack - and the stories are not so incredible after all.

We also tend to forget that DF and traffic analysis can be very useful without any ability to read what's being said. When you spot 30 or 40 new emitters driving down the main road to the border it's a bit of a hint that's somethings up. Modern receivers can detect the presence of an emitter that channel hops quite happily - well, modern civvy ones anyway.

Fianlly, to those sceptics who doubt that Hizb'Allah ever cracked the Israeli radio net I'd ask them to explain the quote below, link to original article below that:

“When we lose a man, the fighting unit immediately gives the location and the number back to headquarters. What Hezbollah did was to monitor our radio and immediately send it to their Al-Manar TV, which broadcast it almost live, long before the official Israeli radio.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2089-2330624_2,00.html

13. The Yank military sites have taken note of the article, we think that what probably happened is that they had cracked into very low level (Squad, platoon at best) commo which was unencrypted, possibly even just transmitted by FRS radio, the sort of thing which you get down at Boots for fifteen quid. We used them in Iraq as well, for example when the loader hops off the tank: At that low level any possible comsec breaches are pretty limited in their utility to the opposition.

NTM

14. Our own lot used mobiles in Yugoslavia not too long ago IIRC