Hey kids, drugs are FUN!

Awol said:
How the world changes.

Just a few years ago just being a homosexual would have had you jailed. Now one can not only promote and admit to the use of illegal drugs, but the organs of the state will back him up to the hilt.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/5416220.stm

Harrumph.. It's mad I tell you.

Drugs have clearly screwed up his common sense as well as his dress sense:

He added: "I've tried loads of drugs, but it would really bug me if I got busted in the tabloids because I take them so rarely."

I don't understand the logic of that statement

A spokesman for the National Drug Prevention Alliance said: "We're appalled, it's absolutely mind-blowing that somebody has said that.
Evidently cheaper and less addictive than drugs?

I'm thinking that one of them has made him a raving Mincer! iTS A GOOD ADVERT.

"Youth of today. If you take drugs you will be penetrated by men"

So does this silent condemnation include alcohol? Or only those drugs arbitrarily declared "illegal" by gobments.

MsG

Bad_Crow said:
I'm thinking that one of them has made him a raving Mincer! iTS A GOOD ADVERT.

"Youth of today. If you take drugs you will be penetrated by men"
Can't you rephrase that as "persons of a similar persuasion"?

The guy's simply being honest. He's not really my cup of tea, a bit too gay really, but we all know that the media and the arts are absolutely riddled with drug fiends. So what if he did ecstasy a few years ago - they're not a patch on the real nasties like smack, crack and coke (that sounds quite catchy doesn't it?).

I personally get offended at the fact that the media idolise these scum like Kate Moss, Pete Doherty, Kerry Katona, Lindsey Lohan, Robbie Williams et al even though they're all utter filth who are portrayed as role models and therefore portray the message that being a cocaine addict is cool.

CardinalSin said:
The guy's simply being honest. He's not really my cup of tea, a bit too gay really, but we all know that the media and the arts are absolutely riddled with drug fiends. So what if he did ecstasy a few years ago - they're not a patch on the real nasties like smack, crack and coke (that sounds quite catchy doesn't it?).

I personally get offended at the fact that the media idolise these scum like Kate Moss, Pete Doherty, Kerry Katona, Lindsey Lohan, Robbie Williams et al even though they're all utter filth who are portrayed as role models and therefore portray the message that being a cocaine addict is cool.
no the guy is simply being a tosser. As you have pointed out. Young people catch on to what these pieces of pond life get up to and think.

"Yeah why not"

He is a Mincing low life waste of space and needs to be publicly Shot!

And, if he's so concerned about the story not appearing in the tabloids, why spill the beans to a magazine? Must be short of publicity.

BBC America has a program where they interview Brits who are hooked on coke. Coked Up Britain its called. Very sad to see bright people destroying their lives.

You would have to have led a desperately sheltered existence not to think drugs were fun.

Why the Feck do you think so many people take em?

You would also have to have led a desperately sheltered existence to think that Graeme Norton is a role model

Continue with your oldy worldy kneejerk reactions

Rastas eat babies too

thegimp said:
You would have to have led a desperately sheltered existence not to think drugs were fun.

Why the Feck do you think so many people take em?

You would also have to have led a desperately sheltered existence to think that Graeme Norton is a role model

Continue with your oldy worldy kneejerk reactions

Rastas eat babies too
I suppose Kate Moss isn't a role model to teenage girls either?

T*at! :x

I was under the impression it was a 40 plus, camp as christmas irish TV presenter that was being discussed

Whats your point. if you want to widen the net not a problem but ask your self

What is the reason for Kate Mosses fame/role model type status

Not that she take drugs but that she is a model

Taking drugs is something role models get caught doing not generally the reason they are famous

Peter Doherty Lead singer in a relatively succesful critically aclaimed band

Barrymore apparently a funny comedian previous to drug expose

George Michael succesful singer

Robbie williams

Elton John

Etc etc

Famous first, not role models for being drug users..........

I can't recall anybody famous solely for their drug intake

A different angle to look at it, might be better to say alot of celebrities and role models have various personality issues which are examined daily under the microscope of the media

Would be interesting to follow a well subscribed Sgts mess on a stag bash/POTL pish up/Amsterdam trip and record the behaviour these "Role models" and "back bone" of the british army

What is actually being discussed here is why our society, and the organs of the state that presumably represent that society, can on the one hand vilify drug taking while at the same time obviously condone it. Whether the celebrity is a queer as fcuk, camp, talentless waste of skin or a six stone model that would snap if she fell off a chair is irrelevant, the issue is that our society is clearly giving the wrong signals to kids.

thegimp said:
Would be interesting to follow a well subscribed Sgts mess on a stag bash/POTL pish up/Amsterdam trip and record the behaviour these "Role models" and "back bone" of the british army
Hopefully you're not infering that Sgts Mess members would carouse in a drug-fuelled state (other than alcohol)?

And how would you expect to compare their antics to those of JRs or Offrs on a similar bash?

And thence compare the expected results with a civvy stag or hen do?

My belief is that the issue being raised is that those personalities that are thrust in front of us via various forms of media have a moral obligation to at least appear to behave correctly with regard to both morals and the law. They make their living by such appearances and if they choose to step beyond these bounds, their employment should cease.

If they choose to indulge in such activities in private, that's their choice, but obviously they need to consider that their "friends" may have a financial interest in revealing their secret lives to the media.

It's commonplace now to see talentless hosts of TV programmes whose only claim to fame seems to be that they have been heavy users of drugs or have other peculiar tendencies. Who chooses them to host the programmes? Other weirdos?

Puttees the comparison was used purely as

1. Sgts are theoretically role models
2. Or's or Offrs ain't as helpful a comparison

There are a few points in here I'm trying to touch on here.

Why should someone in the public eye behave in a different manner to any other person

The reality is they don't, the media just front page the outrage

Why does the addition of "Drugs" to any bad behaviour immediately rachet up the "crime" in the eyes of a lot of serving/ex serving posters

To condone alcohol related bad behaviour while getting on your high pony about drugs is a hypocrisy I lay directly at the feet of the armed forces

So the media is w+nk but the average poster on here appears to agree with the daily bollarks printed outrage ref drugs

While promoting the types of insane "Squaddie trying to act normal" type behaviour held up on various popular threads on arrse

I'll leave it there,

ps not in any way shape or form a drug user

I disagree with an earlier statement of people taking drugs because they are fun - you don't find that out until you have taken them! I think a main reason people start is to kick back at the system that tells you your not allowed, be that parents, the law, government etc.

And about role models, noone applies to be a role model, so all this talk about having to change character becuase your a role model is tosh as you become the role model, not the role model becomes you!

On the wider scale, i don't and have never tried illigal drugs, don't want to either. I think its better to educate that legislate where possible!

The Irish fudge nudger has a point. The immediate effects of drugs are great, otherwise they wouldn't be as popular as they are.

"Hey bruv try some "E", it's crap and makes you feel average". Not exactly a likely scenario eh? As a casual user, presumably with no massive habits formed Norton is no different to the vast majority of low level users, not suffering from any noticeable after effects and able to function successfully in his chosen profession.

As far as I understand it, the biggest risk for drugs users is what the dealer has cut with the original product. The only way to combat this is to legalise all drugs and institute quality levels. Banning them hasn't done too well so far has it?