Hewitt rejects calls for lowering of upper abortion limit

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Agent_Smith, Jun 22, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The RC church (UK branch) has called for the 24-week upper limit on abortion to be lowered. In my mind quite rightly so!

Despite this, the Health secretary has unanimously rejected the call, citing that it was not governments place to sanction or alter such limits. Since when have they decided to shy away from making such controversial decisions when it suits them? Maybe Cormac Murphy-O'Connor can appeal to the real power in the government, the ever so devout RC that is the wide-mouthed frog, Cherie Bliar.

Perhaps not really surprising is that the pro-choice lobby have come out agains this 'draconian' demand. See the last paragraph from Melissa Dear of the FPA. The last part of her argument shows that they really are clutching at straws!

To reach 24 weeks pregancy and not realise you are pregnant is in my eyes, almost impossible. That means that you would have missed anywhere upto SIX periods!!! Tell me how any woman could miss that? Their argument is thin and lacking in substance
  2. I'm pro-choice, so agree with a woman's right to an abortion BUT I don't agree with the current late limit for abortions. In normal circumstances (i.e. not those situations where a woman continues to menstruate and / or doesn't get a belly), as I've written before, I don't understand how some women don't seen to realise that they're pregnant. There's certainly a consensus amongst my friends that if one's period is more than 2 days late mild concern sets in and anything more than a week late results in a trip to the chemist for a test-kit.

Given man's obsession with cheating death and the medical profession's efforts to save premature babies, I am very uncomfortable with the thought of the legal period for terminations blurring over the line at which life might be viable. Saying that, the NHS's admin needs to be sorted out because it's not uncommon for abortions to be arranged a few months before they're carried out.

From the Abortion becomes a general election issue thread:

3. Fair points DozyB,

</p>there was a report on tele last night that said words to the effect "although younger foetuses have survived, at 24 weeks there is a c. 60% survival rate, although a high proportion of these may be deformed or have other problems - not an exact quote, but that was the gist. ...
    but as to Hewitt I reckon she should be sterilized, along with the rest of the Cabinet - preferably by boiling in oil (although autoclaving or being submerged in a vat of isopropyl alcohol for 5 or 10 minutes may well do the trick ;-)
  4. The problem with abortion is that many women seem to treat it as an alternative form of contaception. I'd personally go for a 12 week limit unless in exceptional circumstances (Medical, Rape, etc) Late abortions should never be given as a lifestyle choice. With the freedom to choose abortion comes the responsibilty to ensure you are not causing unecessary suffering to the foetus. With the advent of the morning after pill etc, should we not be asking why there are so many late terminations?
  5. Being pro-choice myself I concur with DB in reducing to the current limit of 24 weeks. I too don't believe there is any excuse for late terminations (the issue of the discovery of serious defects and/or risks to the woman's life aside). The continual advance of medical science meaning premature babies as young as 24 weeks or earlier surviving adds weight to the ethical and moral issues surrounding the present limit, so unless you're Pentwyn (who's unlikely to find anyone mong enough to get her pregnant anyway! :twisted: ) and incapable of a reasonable level of intelligence then most should be in tune with their bodies and brains enough to know the likelihood of conception having taken place and be able to make informed choices much earlier on in pregnancy.

The statics showing a rise in termination rates is certainly worrying though, with sex no longer being taboo, greater access to information and general public awareness of the value of contraception why are there so many? I'd be interested to know the breakdown of those figures into age groups.

I suspect this complex and very emotive subject would be given greater credence if it was debated and proposed by the medical profession without the opinions of the RC church.
  6. I keep hearing about this phenomenon, not just from men but women too. However, I'm inclined to take it with a grain of salt because, based on the experiences of women I've known throughout my life that have had abortions, it's a horrible, invasive procedure that generally smartenend them up enough to vow never to go through something like that again. I suppose I could go look for "repeat customer" stats if I wasn't so fcuking lazy. :D

With many new birth control methods (Depo-Provera, new regular pills, the mini-pill, etc.) periods become irregular or stop all together. It can be virtually impossible to predict. And hormonal birth control works by artificially inducing your body to think it's pregnant, anyway. It may take a woman close to twelve weeks to catch on under those circumstances. That 12-week margin would have to be based on a lot of assumptions.

That is a good question. If you have no ethical problem with having an abortion, late or otherwise, you should be just fine with going to your chemist and picking up the pills, right?
  7. I agree with Dozy and Dolly - BUT if the limit is lowered the NHS needs to provide teminations much more quickly. And I think the question needs to be looked at seriously as to why so many men are obviously failing to use condoms? Have people become complacent abouts HIV/AIDS?
  9. Firstly, I agree that anything you do is going to be abused by one or two misfits, However

I believe in the right to choose: We are all getting on our soapboxes with the examples that are at broader ends of the spectrum!
    IMHO I would liek to see couples think before bringing a life into the world. Abortion is not necessarily a bad thing, even as a lifestyle choice (though i do have more problems with this).

If you have a young mother, aged 16+ who, through supidity, miguided belief finds herself pregnant. She is basically forced by public opinion to have the baby which is then resented, not only in th eshort term, but for years to come when mother can't go out and do what her friends are doing etc etc.

I get the point of a right to life for the baby, but what about the mother? What is the point of bringing a baby up for it to just suffer with emotional abuse and poverty! At the end of the day (and in a very simplistic way) the fetus is viable at 24 weeks, but only just. I do agree that reducing it isn't a bad idea, but not too far, and i do believe abortions can be a good thing in the long run!
  10. I have a friend who didn't know she was pregnant until five months gone - she was on the pill throughout, and continued to have some (light) bleeding each month. She and her (then boyfriend, and now husband) had been going out for a month or two at the time, they'd both just graduated, and it was certainly unplanned.

As for "medical reasons" that you mention, there are some tests that can't be carried out until later than 12 weeks; amniocentesis for instance is done at 15 weeks.
  11. There will always be exceptions, such as your friends, as I said. As for amniocentesis, that's generally only done if the nuchal fold scan (done at 12 weeks) doesn't give a conclusive result, thus again these cases are exceptions. Obviously this issue is emotive and subjective and I am only writing from my view point, which I'm not arrogant enough to presume is correct.
  12. I was under the impression that amniocentesis was done after 14 weeks when there is enough Amniotic fluid. Its usually done between 15 and 18 weeks!

And its done if the pregnancy is considered high risk ie mother is Over 35 years old, has diabetes, has other children with genetic problems and so on..abnormal triple screen test...list is endless
  13. Aye, and if there is a genetic flag within the parents families, a Downs sibling or such.

Beebs x
  14. I've just educated myself from this site about pain processing by foetuses:

My previous (general) reading about this subject had indicated that the pain senses of a first trimester foetus were very limited, but given this information, it's possible that an abortion in the 4th month would be less painful for the foetus; though with its cognitive development further along, would it be more traumatic?
  15. I reckon that the majorityof abortions are carried out because of the effect a child would have on the parents. There will be some carried out on medical grounds, but most are due to selfish toads worrying about their careers. My son was born and found to be disabled. I'm glad the scans didn't show anything abnormal as I would have had the dilema of abortion.