Hessian wall covering.

Don’t do it. There is another thread on Artex and Woodchip Wallpaper; along with Hessian, these are crimes against future generations. If you want proper fabric covered walls, like the Hotel Grandes Hommes in Paris, you will have to employ an upholsterer but my finely tuned social antennae tell me you are not in that league. Do as Effendi suggests. If you really want some texture, why not try one of those tapestry kits. Depending on skill and application, it may take some time but it will help while away the long winter evenings and it is quite therapeutic

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
When I did houses I used to strip back the walls to plaster and paint white. White is easy to correct if there are any accidents, smears or kiddy crayon events. White is neutral, you add colour through the use of furniture, accessories and BFO pictures.

For carpet I used to go for a light beige, or tan, tight weave berber as it maintains a nice neutral effect.

I get what you're saying, and that's pretty much how the property is now - easy to sell, obviously!

Now I'm in, however, it feels a bit stark and impersonal.

It's difficult to do well. Can easily turn grubby and then tatty if you dare trying to clean it up.

A less invasive method is to use fabric wall hangings which can be very effective and can be swapped out.. Often done with acoustic panels concealed behind to damp down the otherwise harsh and flutter echoing messes that can be "modern spaces" with hard floors

Yep title says it all.

Having recently moved to a little "town apartment" and trying to make it a bit personal. There's a lot of blank white walls, and having ummed and arred about various paint colours and papers, I suddenly hit on the idea of fabrics.

Sadly, hessian which was once popular, seems to be either available in crappy vinyl imitation, or the preserve of very exclusive, ultra-expensive purveyors of luxury fabrics to the very rich.

Any ideas, please, on where such materials (reasonable quality/range of colours) might be obtained?
Have I understood this correctly? You've bought a pill box and you want to make it look like a sangar.

Remember to tie the neck and tuck it under the sandbag. Don't fill it more than 3/4 full. Also make sure that the seams are inside the wall. Then compact it with a convenient pick helve.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Have I understood this correctly? You've bought a pill box and you want to make it look like a sangar.

Remember to tie the neck and tuck it under the sandbag. Don't fill it more than 3/4 full. Also make sure that the seams are inside the wall. Then compact it with a convenient pick helve.
Yeah, yeah. Perhaps I should stick to rubber ...

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Not sure I could live with a massive mural.

After further investigation I think "grasscloth" wallpaper is the way forward - plain but subtly textured, and presumably easier to clean than actual scratchy fabric?

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
As well as causing a dust storm every time the slightest air movement catches the hessian, and as well as picking up the slightest odor that is emitted from anything within approximately thirty miles radius, it also sups the slightest hint of any oil in the atmosphere (from cooking, scented candles, anything at all), where it soon turns rancid. This then causes the hessian to become sticky, and increases its dust and odor collection abilities, only now if you or anyone/anything touch it, it will form a strong, sticky glue, bonding itself to whatever has touched it.

So, no. Don't do it. Really, don't.