Hessian wall covering.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Yep title says it all.

Having recently moved to a little "town apartment" and trying to make it a bit personal. There's a lot of blank white walls, and having ummed and arred about various paint colours and papers, I suddenly hit on the idea of fabrics.

Sadly, hessian which was once popular, seems to be either available in crappy vinyl imitation, or the preserve of very exclusive, ultra-expensive purveyors of luxury fabrics to the very rich.

Any ideas, please, on where such materials (reasonable quality/range of colours) might be obtained?

Yep title says it all.

Having recently moved to a little "town apartment" and trying to make it a bit personal. There's a lot of blank white walls, and having ummed and arred about various paint colours and papers, I suddenly hit on the idea of fabrics.

Sadly, hessian which was once popular, seems to be either available in crappy vinyl imitation, or the preserve of very exclusive, ultra-expensive purveyors of luxury fabrics to the very rich.

Any ideas, please, on where such materials (reasonable quality/range of colours) might be obtained?
Woodchip, all day.
HTH

Yep title says it all.

You want to live in a sack?

Think of a shirt, blouse in your case, on a hot sweaty (glowy in your case) day - the fabric of the garment absorbs every waft of odour passing over it. Hessian wallpaper pretty much collects everything passing over it from baccy smoke to the waft of cooking oil.

When I did houses I used to strip back the walls to plaster and paint white. White is easy to correct if there are any accidents, smears or kiddy crayon events. White is neutral, you add colour through the use of furniture, accessories and BFO pictures.

For carpet I used to go for a light beige, or tan, tight weave berber as it maintains a nice neutral effect.

Edit to add: Throw one of those Indian made rugs over the berber carpet to add colour to the floor - and protect the carpet. We always stand the coffee table and dining table on a rug to catch slop's and spill's.