Herrick Weight and Respirator?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Jip Travolta, Sep 19, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Do we take respirators on Herrick or?...

Only thing I've had so far is the signal. No other info. Which is typical of course. :roll: Been issued x2 new can's, so I'm just wondering...

While I'm here; what's the personal weight allowance for outgoing baggage?

2. Don't worry too much about weight. Take your respirator as it is theatre SOP's although it will spend the next few months in a bergan.
  3. Cool. Lawnmower it is then. ;)

4. 55 Kg is all your allowed in your hold baggage. There are weight and size restrictions for carry-on baggage too but I cant remember them at this moment.

Body armour and helmet carried on flight asusual. Things like laptop's can be in youe cabin baggage. You are also advised to carry a sleeping system, wash kit and civi clothes in your carry-on 'just incase the flight has to divert'.

5. Respirator is SOP for everything these days, even though there is zero threat. Knee jerk reaction. I'm still pissed off after getting "gas gas gas" every 5 minutes on Granby.
  6. I didn't take my respirator. Why would I need it in Helmand? Because some bellend who hasn't a scooby says so?
  7. Well, that's the bergan covered.

So, I guess they don't want me to take the rest of the kit they issued to me and any personal effects/washkit/civvies etc?

8. To protect against a CBRN attack.

Just because they haven’t used chemical attacks against us yet doesn’t mean they never will and the day the Taliban find a way of lobbing something nasty of the Hesco wall is not the day to find your respirator is in the UK.
  9. Oh please.

Once in theatre everyone leaves their respirator back in Bastion in their grip. No one brings it forward to the FOBs with them. Though you'd know that wouldn't you. :wink:
  10. The Taliban have used chemical attacks on schools recently. I guess it is only a matter of time before they figure out a way to use chemical weapons against troops.
  11. Link?

If indeed such a threat becomes apparent then I shall bring my respirator forward to the FOB to keep you's happy. Though i'm sure many of you's would be happier if I left it behind. :D
  12. Here is one.

I got from this search.
  13. Yep, I believe you. Once this threat becomes a real threat to CF i'm sure we'll all have our respirators by our side.
  14. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Bring your Ressie - don't worry about the Taliban (although they'd probably try to use chlorine tankers or anything else if they get the chance) but do worry more about your neighbours to the West. If the Israelis do decide to clear out Mr Dinnerjacket's reactors, at the very least there will be BIG clouds of nasties floating eastwards (where the winds go) and you won't want to breathe that in. Sadly, the chances of radioactive mutation giving you superpowers have been exaggerated, I'm afraid - yep, again, totally lied to by Hollywood.

Chances are slim, true, but some clever buggers have done the maths, and work out that you should take it.
  15. Mine made it as far as the FOB but then spent the tour under my bed gathering dust. The fact is that whilst the threat of attack via chemicals warfare etc is very very low it is still present and as such having a in date serviced respirator at least in the same location as yourself makes sense.