Herrick Stories

Hello

I've been tasked to give my company a lecture on Op Herrick next drill night. Many of the company are mobilising in the next few months and the presentation is supposed to convince the unsure soldiers that Herrick is a good thing. Its full of all the normal stuff; why we are there, what we are doing, what kit we'll have, possible tasks, what the country and people are like etc etc. Most of the guys have already been there, and the rest have heard most of this stuff before.

In order to make my lecture more interesting I was wondering if anyone could provide some funny stories that occured when out in Afghanistan, especially if the happened to TA soldiers. Aswell as any inside knowledge that would help troops in Bastion.

Many Thanks.

TheRealTrucker said:
Hello

I've been tasked to give my company a lecture on Op Herrick next drill night. Many of the company are mobilising in the next few months and the presentation is supposed to convince the unsure soldiers that Herrick is a good thing. Its full of all the normal stuff; why we are there, what we are doing, what kit we'll have, possible tasks, what the country and people are like etc etc. Most of the guys have already been there, and the rest have heard most of this stuff before.

In order to make my lecture more interesting I was wondering if anyone could provide some funny stories that occured when out in Afghanistan, especially if the happened to TA soldiers. Aswell as any inside knowledge that would help troops in Bastion.

Many Thanks.
Have you been yourself? Why are you trying to sell the tour / place to people who have already been?

msr

Which unit are you?

Also be careful about using second hand stories as they always sound crap, if some guys have been before and you haven't you'll end up being put down by them "What would you know you've never been there" etc

Sorry mate but this reeks of journo looking for cheap copy.

S

swampmonster

TheRealTrucker said:
Hello

Many Thanks.

Try OPTAG...they have all the above :)
not sure about funnies though :?

Counter Walt Services need to check this chap out! Next he'll be asking for a tin of boathouse blue!

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
Cuddles said:
Counter Walt Services need to check this chap out! Next he'll be asking for a tin of boathouse £$%*!
Cuddles OPSEC dear chap
I've altered your post can you please think in future :wink:

Cuddles said:
Counter Walt Services need to check this chap out! Next he'll be asking for a tin of boathouse blue!
Hmm, blue...

..grab him lads, he knows too much!

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
Right settle down
I will show this only once!!
After this I will eat this thread and kill anyone who looked at it

Gentlemen

The Boat house

the_boy_syrup said:
Right settle down

Gentlemen

The Boat house

According to Humbrol, that's Matt Beige Green

the_boy_syrup said:
Right settle down

Gentlemen

The Boat house

They really must be secretive, they've deceptively hidden it behind a septic rag

BBear

LE
Kit Reviewer
Bit of back up from me - I was the one originally asked to give the lecture, but am now away on a course. We're from an infantry unit, with deployments in the near future. The whole idea, i thought, was to give the recruits, or newly trained soldiers, an insight into current deployments. Not having been qualified for very long, neither of us have any operational experience, although we hope this to change soon.

I hope that gives this thing a bit more credibility.

And everyone knows the boathouse is red!

Hardysa said:
the_boy_syrup said:
Right settle down

Gentlemen

The Boat house

According to Humbrol, that's Matt Beige-Green
Wasn't Matt second man on the balcony?

This is why enquired which unit he was with, as without giving away too much info, a unit which is due to deploy soon on Heric has a prepared PP presentation on this subject to give to the guys.

You might try asking the Head shed first.