HERRICK Campaign Report released under FOI

It would appear that the Sunday Times has managed to get the HERRICK campaign report released under a Freedom of Information request. Well done them although slightly disappointing that the full article is behind their pay wall.

One the plus side they have published the foreword, executive summary and the IED chapter in full text that can be downloaded and read. I get the feeling/hope that we'll be getting the rest of it over the next few weeks. [Update - see this post]

I haven't had the chance to go through it yet but note that the following angles are currently being run by the papers:

Last edited:
Hope the rest is published as would be interesting to see what the final report of that free holiday says.

CanteenCowboy

LE
Book Reviewer
It would appear that the Sunday Times has managed to get the HERRICK campaign report released under a Freedom of Information request. Well done them although slightly disappointing that the full article is behind their pay wall.

One the plus side they have published the foreword, executive summary and the IED chapter in full text that can be downloaded and read. I get the feeling/hope that we'll be getting the rest of it over the next few weeks.

I haven't had the chance to go through it yet but note that the following angles are currently being run by the papers:
On my last foray (Op H13) we received brand new Compound Maps so that everybody in Helmand was singing off the same song sheet. As by that time we had a lot of USMC Air/Avn assets in the province.

Put a word in there (say Taliban) and see what happens......
It's because the MOD has released what is essentially a picture of the original document, rather than the document itself. It goes back to a series of incidents in which staff who didn't really understand what they were doing sent out documents on which the redacted information could easily be un-redacted. An example of the outcome - there were other incidents - is here (link).

I guess you could run the document through an OCR app which would give you searchable text, but the image quality isn't great so it might well end up as gibberish.

We've just had an email letting us know that the nearly full (614 pages!) document can be downloaded at the following link:
Slightly disappointing is that you can't actually do a text search on it but there you go.
Most helpful, thanks @Bad CO and thanks also to MoD. Chapter 5-5 "OpLaw/Operational Law, Detention and Military Policing", which has some relevance to recent discussions here, is at pages 329-341. Incidentally, the sections mentioned in the FOI letter are those sections of the FOI Act under which the MoD has claimed exemption, and has accordingly redacted some material.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Does the report mention anywhere the cause being the degeneration of the Officer Corps who eat sandwiches with their hands and can't lay out the correct coffee and biscuits for their CO?

Quite a comprehensive document, a lot to read and I only skimmed over that of interest to me - The IED Threat, it's good to see they have come to many of the conclusions they have, but frustrating to know they did little about it at the time.

If you bring up the document on an iPad you can save it to iBooks which will then allow you to search for specific words.

I imagine saving to Kindle will do the same.

It won't, because it's not a text file. It's an image of a text document.

I just tried to enable OCR in Acrobat Pro, but it won't let me because it's a 'protected file'.

I managed to unlock the file, but Acrobat is crashing when I try to enable OCR. Presume the file's too big.
Did you use a password - if so, what worked? If you're willing to share it I'll have a go with a couple of apps I've used in the past. It would be handy to have a searchable version online if we can manage it.

Did you use a password - if so, what worked? If you're willing to share it I'll have a go with a couple of apps I've used in the past. It would be handy to have a searchable version online if we can manage it.
- Open the PDF in Chrome
- Click 'print'
- Select 'save to PDF' as the destination

Replicates the file sans password/security settings.

@DeltaDog

You are correct.

Pulling it up on an iPad does allow you to push it into iBooks.

I assumed you could then perform a word search.

You can't.

It must be a locked PDF.

You can also download into Kindle but, again, cannot search.

- Open the PDF in Chrome
- Click 'print'
- Select 'save to PDF' as the destination

Replicates the file sans password/security settings.
Ta - I thought you might have picked up a simple default password, but no matter. I'll have a go when I'm home later.

I have converted the doc to a word format that you can search on but it wont let me upload it sorry. Let me know if anyone would like it in .docx format.