HERRICK 4 told by veterans, in their own words, out now

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by Stonker, May 23, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. To my great surprise, I have just this morning received an advance copy of "A Million Bullets", a new book written about Herrick 4. It was a small 'thank you' from the author, who contacted me through Arrse over a year ago,

In a very very tiny way, I helped James (we have never met) to find a way past the barriers being put up by MoD to protect the literary interests of a retired Para General with a son who commanded a Para Coy on HERRICK 4 . You can figure it out - I learn from his intro, that James was forbidden to interview any Paras other than Lt Col Tootal, CO of that Bn. James wanted to get at all the other cap badges fighting in AFG and tell a wider story. If he hadn't, the chances are HERRICK might go down in history as a 'Paras only' affair. It wasn't, and a lot of troops out there with them, had substantially less preparation for it, and did equally well, yet got loads less coverage at home.

Among them are my old Bn about whom I have just scanned some excellent stuff, told in the lad's own words, about combat in (Apocalypse) Now Zad, around page 98.

Fill yer boots. Tell yer friends and family. And a big thank you to James Fergusson for putting it together.

About James:

• Like Like x 2
    • Excellent Topic Excellent Topic x 1
  2. RABC says - You can preorder this at Tescos for £10

For anyone who wants it, the Tesco order page for the book is here (clicky).

• Like Like x 1
  3. bump

• Like Like x 1
  4. My copy arrived today. :)

I've only read the (fairly substantial) introduction so far but that is well written, sympathetic and even mentions ARRSE (the named poster will have to buy his own copy to see his post quoted :wink: )

5. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

When's the author going to provide a 'signed copy' linky thing for ARRSE members?

Michael Yon provides signed copies . . .

6. Just finished it. I was a bit worried about the blurb stating it had 'official' support but it does come across as a very frank report.

7. Believe me, the 'support' he got was given only after a lot of groundwork (not by me, I hasten to add) to get past a flat refusal by MoD to give him any access at all.

I don't think he was ever under an obligation to pull his punches - and he writes, I believe, as he finds.

Question in my mind after reading it is "How much has changed since HERRICK 4?".

My answer is "nothing substantial" except the support enjoyed by the Taliban (which, to my moind, has increased, inside and outside Afghanistan's borders). The NATO governements - our own included - are still quite determined not to commit any more effort to rescuing the place.

Prognosis for the outcome - poor.

• Like Like x 1
  8. We started reading on saturday night, for a ten year yearold my neice is asking a lot of questions and that was just the intro, once we moved on to the Gurkhas the questions became difficult to answer and I thing this may be not suitable for one such of tender years. I am now itching to get on reading it but I am stumped for the moment without a reader.

WW

9. I bought it today for fifteen boys! so far so good :lol:

10. I can't figure out the exchange rate - how many boys to the Pound? :wink:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Oh come on Mr S, its basic maths... 1 pound = 100 penny sweet = 100 boys

Ah, brings back memories of prep school :D

12. Mr S!!! I've not been addressed as that since - ooooh - 1979, IIRC . . . did I know you in some dim distant Sweetie Shoppee????

• Like Like x 1
  13. Just finished reading my copy.

Having only just recently read Patrick Bishop's, '3 Para' I'd say that it is written for the people/units named whereas 'A Million Bullets' is a more considered account of the events and is all the better for that.

There's more depth, more analysis of the prevailing pressures both political and military.

This is probably the most informative account of Herrick 4 that I've read to-date.

14. I went back and re-read selected bits of it re Brig Ed Butler. Gives what could be the real reasons he resigned.

15. Just got to p 24. Arrse, and specifically Dilfor, are referenced and quoted.