HERRICK 4 rifle,pistol or both

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by QManWpns, Jun 26, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just take a rifle or take them both. :?

2. Both.

3. Are you for real?

4. Why dont you read the Mounting Instruction, I think you'll find it's quite clear in there.

5. Thanks for that, I have read it; all 260 odd pages of it and all it says is longs for all those less than OF4 but shorts are to be used where longs are practicable so its not clear in fact it is very unclear. So I was just getting a general consensus. :x

6. if you get both available on issue, then take 'em both mate.

7. Well once you have finished ''big timing it'' you will get sick of your pistol . The rest of the army is aware that
    whoever has a pistol is either a high ranking important officer or a Remf chopper who thinks he looks cool.
    Of course there are a few exceptions to this . Rifle all the time !!!!

8. Well once you have finished ''big timing it'' you will get sick of your pistol . The rest of the army is aware that
    whoever has a pistol is either a high ranking important officer or a Remf chopper who thinks he looks cool.
    Of course there are a few exceptions to this . Rifle all the time !!!!

Thanks for your perspective however, you must have a poor perception if you think having a pistol is big timing it. I was thinking of the op mounting order and e mails that I have recieved from colleagues on HERRICK and TELIC. As for the REMF chopper you must of had some poor experiences of said individuals.

When I was on TELIC the number of WO1s and Officers who would swan around with a pistol was clear however, quick trades with the lads was also occuring, if any of them left the security of the Bread Basket .

I neither want to big time it, or look cool nor ascribe to being a REMF chopper however, I would like to be prepared for every eventuality.Lessons learnt from OP TELIC 1 come back.

Of course Im taking my rifle I just wanted to know whether a pistol would make me look like a chopper :p or not and would other WO1s in theatre be carrying them aswell as their rifle.

9. If I could I would, every little helps, as you say, you never know

10. I'd take a Charlie Gee if I could you never know...... might see a talitank!

11. Strange question for a WO1 to be asking 'QMan'. Changing times I guess?

12. Strange question for a WO1 to be asking 'QMan'. Changing times I guess?

Not really just trying to get a general consensus from those, who have been on HERRICK.

The boss and I usually have a pistol on EX however lessons learnt from TELIC 1, pistols went out the window. However, as the mounting order is a bit sketchy I was trying to get a general consensus. Fellow WOs particulary on TELIC have carried both however this is the stan and therefore, its all a bit new.

Personally I will deploy with both, then at least Ive got it, if its required.

13. As I said, changing times. In my day, it was worked out for you and you just took what you were told to take. No options. I do believe, there was always a very good reason as to the allocation of weapons, unit fire power springs to mind.

Reading through some of the Spam posts, they seem to have the option of having another weapon. They all opt for both. Nice if you can get it!

14. Read the news and see if you think having as many guns as possible is a good idea.
    Always carry as many and as a big a gun as possible. If you have a mate who has a big gun, take him with you as well.
    Just ensure you know how to you them. Funny things pistols, they just 'go off' in peoples hands.

15. Not just pistols 'codhead'. Live ammo + poor skills and drills = dead and wounded service personnel. Nothing new there.