"Heroes Every One" - Daily Mail article

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by DozyBint, May 20, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. See link for full article.

2. A damn good article!

3. Good catch DB

4. Good read. Pity theres not more jurnos like that instead of the sh1t slinging scumbags we usually have to put up with.

LT.

5. Good article - nice to see someone appreciate what is really going on out there

6. Wow! What a find, Dozy Bint.

Absolutely marvellous stuff! It's good to see somebody taking the trouble to get it right for a change!

I hope as many people as possible read that article and gain some real insight. Instead of the usual "Scum" headlines "Ex-soldier robs bank" shite. Then you read that he was a STAB for three weeks.
    How come we never read thing like "Ex-carpet-layer robs bank"?

MsG

7. think someone has a moist spot for the PoD?

8. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Good read although the constant interchangeability between 'English' and 'British' & 'England' and 'Britain' rankled more than a little. They aren't synonyms FFS (unless I'm sadly misinformed and only English soldiers have been killed, of course?)

9. I did think that when I first read the article, but I thought I'd let it pass... :D

To me, a couple of things in this article stood out: the comment about the difference in reactions of civvies and squaddies to the casualties and the comment about the fact that the Yanks have obvious support from the people at home. What the author could have mentioned at this stage is that members of the public without a direct contact in the military cannot any longer send letters to "A. Soldier, Iraq" and people who support our service personnel, even if they don't directly support the war aren't going to stage "Support Our Squaddies" marches in London.

Over all, I thought the article was thoughtful and positive, hence posting it here for your consumption.

10. Great article, Ms. Sands is quality.

On a lighter note:

Constable McVeigh, 6'4 with a gingery 'tache walks into the local souk wearing flowing robes and size twelve boots, looking for a pint of Harp and a Bushmills chaser.

"salaam, so it is," He says. :D

11. Yeah I read that, a few pages before it was about Prince William in Sandhurst and security being beefed up and slap bang in the middle of those two was a piece about Euan Blair sloping off a US Congress internship becuase he couldn't be arrsed

Its alright for some innit ?

12. That's right wellyhead, I read the article in the paper edition before looking it up online. Dad and I ripped to pieces the article on Sandhurst and I completely skipped over the Blair-offspring one, not wanting to pollute my brain with any more knowledge about that odious family than is absolutely essential. I bet the media editors are still sniggering about the nanosecond of excitement and joy they brought us the other day with the headlines of Blair quits! :roll:

13. Excellent article. People DO give a damn chaps!

14. Quality article.
    The silent majority of the public are damn proud of the troops, as always, and always will be.
    Unfortunately it just takes an odious politician to taint things.
    Ora best lads. :D

15. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Good stuff DB! Raises some interesting points..