Heroes and Zeros

Bettymoo said:
Oh yes sorry I came on here... what a reminder... yes to extract £20.00 a month out of someone who doesn't care about their children.. he is a disgrace ...
err, Im lost!
 
I hope they do mate, I'd rather see me money go to a member of the forces in theatre than some civvy pumped full of amphetamines for grabbing a sly grope of Kylie rotting tit.

She was probably on a jolly and had no idea she would end up a guest of the Ayotollah..... if she can make £80k from it then good for her.

It doesn't belittle the actions of soldiers on the ground in anyway, they are more than welcome to march into the Suns head office with a story.
 
The whole game of allowing these Naval types to sell their stories has been a bit of an own goal followed by some serious Navy/MoD backpeddling though hasnt it?
 
For some reason those giving the most grief seem to have forgotten

WE ARE NOT AT WAR WITH IRAN!!

These 15 were ARRESTED FOR TRESPASS investigated and then released.

Had this been 15 guys who wandered over the border into Southern Ireland or Holland or whereever due to some dodgy map reading would we have expected them to bite the bullet and refuse to answer etc etc?

Media hype and bullsh!t.
 
Filbert Fox said:
The whole game of allowing these Naval types to sell their stories has been a bit of an own goal followed by some serious Navy/MoD backpeddling though hasnt it?
Agreed
 

Bettymoo

Old-Salt
Look, stop posting irrelavance to the thread.....

Once more and I will O2 theif tag you
 
The whole game of allowing these Naval types to sell their stories has been a bit of an own goal followed by some serious Navy/MoD backpeddling though hasnt it?
Rather has been,but thats the MODs fault,someone thought it would make good PR,and is now probably paddling a rowboat along the canal :)
 
Steven said:
For some reason those giving the most grief seem to have forgotten

WE ARE NOT AT WAR WITH IRAN!!

These 15 were ARRESTED FOR TRESPASS investigated and then released.

Had this been 15 guys who wandered over the border into Southern Ireland or Holland or whereever due to some dodgy map reading would we have expected them to bite the bullet and refuse to answer etc etc?

Media hype and bullsh!t.
We weren't at war with Lebanon when Terry Waite lost his pushbike and got tied to that radiator for so long........ doesn't make the ordeal any less terrifying for those involved
 

FluffyBunny

RIP
RIP
Filbert

Serious mode:

It's a poor do that the RN captives get £ 80 k to sell their story, and those killed on Ops get very little. I don't begrudge them the £ 80 K though.

By the same token, it's a poor do that a footballer earns in a week what a WO1 earns a year, and Jonathan Ross is paid in a year enough to keep a TA Field Sqn going.

That said, it's the way of the World. It's not right, but it's the way it is.

I'm fairly much in agreement with MDN, that until I've been captured by the IRG, I won't know how I will behave. I'm also in agreement with yourself that all our soldies, sailors and airmen (airpersons?) deserve recognition for a difficult and dangerous job.

edit. to make plain how I feel about the £ 80 K
 
minister_doh_nut said:
Steven said:
For some reason those giving the most grief seem to have forgotten

WE ARE NOT AT WAR WITH IRAN!!

These 15 were ARRESTED FOR TRESPASS investigated and then released.

Had this been 15 guys who wandered over the border into Southern Ireland or Holland or whereever due to some dodgy map reading would we have expected them to bite the bullet and refuse to answer etc etc?

Media hype and bullsh!t.
We weren't at war with Lebanon when Terry Waite lost his pushbike and got tied to that radiator for so long........ doesn't make the ordeal any less terrifying for those involved
Not the point.

Any one remember the training given as to what you are supposed to do if arrested by the cops/security forces for breaking the law?
Is "do not embarass the Government" part of your job description?

They were not POWs they had been nicked by the Iranian version of the plod for breaking the local laws. Can't see why everyone is getting all het up about what they said or didn't say or what threats where made.

Storm - teacup!
 
Steven said:
For some reason those giving the most grief seem to have forgotten

WE ARE NOT AT WAR WITH IRAN!!

These 15 were ARRESTED FOR TRESPASS investigated and then released.

Media hype and bullsh!t.
I never said we were at war with Iran, which is why I am calling them zeros for selling out on a story which is basically of trespassing! Especially in light of other incidents that happened at the same time in which our soldiers lost their lives.
 
My only comment about the perception of the behaviour of the 15 is specific to the television footage we've seen, and that is to observe that had I been taken prisoner and separated from my mates / colleagues / the woman with BO who cleans the loos at work, I'm damn sure I'd look very bloody happy as and when I was reunited with them.

The footage we've seen has lasted mere minutes; their ordeals lasted nearly 2 weeks. There is no way that I'm going to judge how any of them reacted to their detention, including Arthur Batchelor who has come in for a heck of a lot of abuse. It may be that he has been too honest about his feelings and reactions, but he is young and I'm sure that many of us were more gauche in our youth.

I appreciate that some people of a similar and younger age have performed feats of astounding bravery, but I would also observe that people's reactions and attitudes in the heat of battle where (I have read and heard) adrenaline and the presence of their muckers drive people on are probably somewhat different from the cold and 'sane' realisation of one's predicament when held in solitary confinement by a belligerent nation.
 

Fugly

LE
DirtyBAT
Bettymoo said:
Look, stop posting irrelavance to the thread.....

Once more and I will O2 theif tag you
Do it........ Do it.....................
 
Steven said:
[Is "do not embarass the Government" part of your job description?
The govenrment would be my very last consideration under those circumstances.
 
MDN - I'm forced to agree with you.
 

Fugly

LE
DirtyBAT
I'd probably do similar, to be honest. Christ, I crack under interrogation from the missus when getting debriefed about my antics down the boozer the night before.

The deaths of 4 more soldiers is hideous, but if some media hack wants to make sure Fugly Jnr is sorted out, then fine. I'll quite happily go on TV explaining why I admitted trespass, the Kennedy assassination, being Elvis, and that Allah would whup Jesus's Arrse in a cock measuring competition.

Its the fecking Government and MoD that have fecked this one up.

She's still a porker though
 
Fugly said:
Bettymoo said:
Look, stop posting irrelavance to the thread.....

Once more and I will O2 theif tag you
Do it........ Do it.....................
DO IT!!!!
 

Blasted

Old-Salt
I can’t help but feel that by them talking to the press, the Iranian spin out there will be detrimental for the future.

The Iranians will be saying "they strayed into our waters, we took them in, didn’t physically abuse them, clothed and fed them and let them go, and now look what they are saying in the press about us"

I personally do not have a clue about what it would be like to be captured, all I can think it would be horrendous experience, but they are not the first or the last military person to sell their story.
 

green_slime

Old-Salt
People can only really be judges from their actions under the specific scenarios. These individuals bent over backwards to help their captors after threats of 7 years imprisonment. There was no physical torture, some physcological pressure, but not extreme.

The forces are representatives of HM the Queen and this nation, not some sort of celebrity gameshow where the object is simply to get home as fast as possible.

To those who are put in extra-ordinary circumstances and whose reactions are also extra-ordinary, the military has its own rewards and reprecussions- medals and certificates, or discipline.

When I served I understood the nature of the role and my part in the bigger picture. I trust that that it is still understood.

Serve to Lead
 

Gyran_Tol

Clanker
Is accepting money from the newspapers any different to those selling books / novels about their events?

If someone can make some extra dosh from their experiences then fair play to them...

As for the post in hand the only thing that upset me was on the day of their return to Blighty, BBC News thought the live video feed of an helicopter flying was more important than reporting the sad events in Iraq...
 

New Posts

Latest Threads

Top